‘Bhai dooj’

The fifth day of Diwali is known as ‘Bhai dooj’ ‘Bhratri Dooj’’. Bhai means brother and dooj means second, signifying the second day of the new moon. It celebrates the loving ties between brothers and sisters and consolidates this relationship. One legend of the origin of this day is that Sri Krishna after his successful war over the demon,’Narakasura’ went to visit his sister Subhadra who welcomed him with a tilak (a red dot, traditionally worn on the forehead) and aarti , and prayed for his protection. My brother is no more, he died 3 years ago in a road accident; I used to invite him with his family for dinner, after his sad demise to keep of this ritual, I invited his wife; sorry to say she declined. [b]Hubby’s only sister alive now invited us all on this day, we went to her home and after dinner gave 500 rupees as gift. Sorry for sharing late.[/b] [b]Do you have any such tradition to invite your brother to eat? Please share your views and comment on this. [/b] Kalyani November 28, 2012.
@Sreekala (23601)
Dear Maa, In South we don’t have any special day for our brother. But I consider brother is always special and have to treat him good on all days. I am living away from home so regular communication is not between us. However, he is there for me whenever I need him. Here in North bhai dooj is celebrating, I had enjoyed a free ride in bus on account of this. (that day the travel was free for ladies in government buses). Thanks to Sheela Dikshit, the Chief Minister, to provide this facility. Sorry to know about your brother, his wife may be sad, that may the reason of declining your request, Please don’t bother it. Hope your health is alright. Take care and have a nice time.
Sree beti I have stopped worrying about health these days, it is part of aging process. Glad to know you enjoyed a free trip, while you go back to home next time get a ticket for the train that passes via Sambalpur, make a break journey, be my guest with kids and hubby
@Sreekala (23601)
Thank you so much for the invitation but we are not going on that way. Definitely we will come to see you once
Ok thanks
That's a very interesting tradition. We do not have any such a day here. I am sorry your brother was lost in an accident. I am glad your husband's sister celebrated the day for him though. Did you give his sister the 500 rupees or the sister give the brother the gift?
We gave 500 to sister of hubby, i like this because it also part of the expenses, she cooked many dishes, sweets etc, ENJOY A GREAT 'SUNDAY'
@subhojit10 (7382)
Thanks a ton for sharing this discussion. Yes this is such a pious festival and since i have two sisters that makes it even more special. I try to wish my sisters on this day and pray God for their good health and long life. Though in Oriya families we hardly follow this festival. I feel extremely bad about your brother and i know u must be missing him on this day the most. I think wherever he is, he must also be praying for your success good health and long life. What say?
Glad to know, you have 2 sisters and you enjoy this pious festival, by the way, are you Odia? ENJOY A GREAT 'SUNDAY'