A small rant

@savypat (20248)
One of my least favorette things is waiting in the Doctor's office. They set the appointment time, I'm there in plenty of time and still I wait. I can understand that dealing with people is not an exact science, but isn't my time valueable? If there is going to be a wait shouldn't I have the choice to go or stay? And for goodness sake don't put me in a small room, sitting there in a paper covering and waiting again. The Doctor will be right with you has got to be the most irritating statement. What measure of time is "Right"? So that's my rant for today.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
Doctors offices should schedule better, put patients shouldn't make an appt for one thing and then hit the doc with 10!
@savypat (20248)
I know this happens also. Thanks
@dragon54u (31291)
Yes, it is very frustrating! But take it from someone who worked at medical answering services for years, it's probably not the doctor's fault. Blame the patients, like the woman whose baby has had a fever of 103 for nearly a week but waits until lunchtime on Friday to call the doctor and expects to be rushed in immediately, leaving you waiting as the doctor sees the poor abused child and misses his own lunch. Or the diabetic who knows they are running out of medication but wait until they've taken the last dose till they call the office and insist the doctor do something immediately. Blame the man who let his 3 year old drive the ATV then the hospital calls the doctor to the ER ASAP to try to save the dying child. Or the carefree woman who "forgot" her appointment because she was out shopping and shows up an hour late, insisting on being seen for her bi-monthly hypochondriac check up. These are just 4 incidents, I can name dozens, that keep the doctor from seeing his patients on time. All this really inconveniences the patients but the doctor is the one who really suffers when he drags himself home after dinner has grown cold and he's missed his child's school play or important soccer game and faces another fight with his wife over all this--again.
@savypat (20248)
In my heart I know what you say is true, but on the other side of that is the clinic that requires each Doctor see so many patients per day. My personal Doctor is not part of a clinic and I rarely have to wait long for him. The situation that upset me was a new Doctor for my Hubby and he is part of a walkin clinic.
@inertia4 (26582)
I do agree on the fact that we all make appointments and we all wind up waiting. What I don't understand is why then do they make appointments. I mean, if they are going to take you on a first come, first serve basis, then there is no need for appointments. Now don't get me wrong, some doctors are quick, and others are not. I hate when I have to get to an appointment early and then wait an additional hour or so to see the doctor. I have no patients to wait for anything.
@JenInTN (27565)
I hate those waits too. I have seen scheduled where they have 4 and 5 people scheduled for the exact same time with the exact same doctor I think that 15 or 20 mins should be tops when it comes to waiting time if you have an appointment. If it were a walk-in basis..sure I could understand but not when you have reserved time.
@Thoroughrob (11771)
I don't like to sit there either, but I have a special needs son and we do a lot of it. I look at it as, I go in and I have their full attention, without worrying how far behind they are and the attention is on our needs. The doctors that we have care and that is worth waiting for.
@barehugs (8992)
We have a wonderful Healthcare Plan in Canada but it can be abused by those who enjoy being sick. This can cause problems in the Doctors office, and can place sick patients at risk. However there is a remedy, that very few ever use. That is, pack a lunch, and wait in the Doctors office until the office nurse gets tired of you sitting there, and makes a place for you in his schedule. If I was needing patient care I would not hesitate to sit for several days, until I received the much needed attention from my Doctor.
@peavey (15644)
I don't really like my doctor. She always overmedicates me when she writes prescriptions and doesn't listen very well... BUT I never have to wait more than 10 or 15 minutes to get in and once in the examination room, she's usually there within 5 minutes. That's the one thing that has kept me from looking for a different doctor.
@sender621 (14956)
more of our time is spent in the waitingroom than with the doctor wa are oaying to be seen by, it seems to be unfair and a waste of valuable time.
@silverfox09 (4727)
I can feel your frustration with that situation , I have gone through that a lot sometime I would get up and keep asking how soon because I have been waiting so long .
@sender621 (14956)
I think that more time is spent in the waiting room than is spent with the doctor we are paying to be seen by. it really seems unfair and a waste of valuable time.
@wolfie34 (26881)
I dread going to the doctors too, not because my doctor isn't nice, she is and she has been very very helpful in finding the right antidepressant that works for me, I find her very warm and caring, trouble is so does everyone else, and she is the most popular doctor in the surgery, and you just know that when you get an appointment with her you expect an hour wait on top! She doesn't stick to the x amount of minutes quoted for each patient she always always over-run, I guess that's the price of being popular, so now what I do I go prepared, I take crosswords books, drinks and books to read because I never ever get seen on time. I could take my pillow and slippers LOL but that would be a bit sarcastic
@alberello (4756)
Well, in similar circumstances, I lived almost on the agenda! You, by any chance have ever wondered how long (years) of our lives we spend waiting? Well, better not to do calculations, but the statistics say "many." For example, I had a doctor for each person to visit, at times, kept in his doctor's office more than one hour! I must say that I'm used to the expectations, my luck was that the study of the doctor, was in my same building, so I was really early to go home, sometimes they were even 10 PM! Even though I'd have to rant, but Mylot, did not yet exist!
@cher913 (25895)
oh, i so know where you are coming from. because i end up visiting a myriad of doctors, i end up waiting a ton. generally i have brought a book or something else to do (once, right around now, i brought some cross stitching because i was making a small cross stitched ornament for my mom for CHristmas) however, in saying that, i am with you. i hate waiting for the doctor and at my previous doctors office, you had to wait at least an hour to go see him for a quick 5 minute visit. now, because i found a new doctor with a new practice, i don't have to wait at all. i like a doctors office that has a receptionist and a nurse and keeps the flow, well, flowing, so that when one patient is done, they bring a new one into that room right away while the doctor goes into see the next patient. it is much more efficient this way but some doctors do not do that as my last doctor didn't.
@jureathome (5363)
Oh dear, that is also one of my hatest thing in the world. Especially, if its an appointment for my kids. Imagine bringing a sick kid to the clinic and be asked to wait for at least an hour. We go there early hoping to catch the first slot, and yes, we did, but the doctor would only arrive after their last patient registers.
@zandi458 (27954)
I am used to that waiting game as I've to see the doctor every month for my review. It is boring moment waiting for my turn. I kill time by going online .
@doroffee (4233)
• Hungary
Oh, I hate that, too. They shouldn't give out so many appointments, or if they do, they should tell that you can count with that and that amount of delay. I mean, my time is expensive as well, I'm not going to go there at 4 o clock to enter the office at 5, when I have my own things to do... I know it's hard, but... well, I know there might be some really bad diseases or cases, but at least when I arrive I should be told how much I'm gonna have to wait, because they owe that to me. I hate really small rooms, too, especially the ones which are stark white or which are those hospital-like greenish off milk white... they make me so nervous and depressed.
@wongchoiyee (6147)
I hope you are feeling better now, its always irritating to wait especially when time is due. I wish that there are clinics which do better for you if this regular doctor doesn't work anymore.
@cearn25 (3460)
Sometimes it is irritating to know that we have actually waited for a long time already. I don't like that kind of situation. If only they have accomodated us then it will be finished early. Some doctors really don't mind whether we wait for so long or not. That is the problem with them that they have to fix.
@ctryhnny (3463)
You are so right to rant about this. It's been something I've complained about for years. lol...the dr will be right with you? yeah an hour later after your freezing from sitting there in that paper tunic!