Please help me with this situation...

I don't have a start button on this laptop. I need to add a [printer to this computer. how can I do this without a start menu? thanks so much.
• St. Peters, Missouri
I'm assuming you're using some version of Windows. If you're using something else, none of this will work! As everyone noted, you need to get to the control panel to add a printer. However, we normally get to the control panel through the start menu and we get to the start menu through the start button. You have a couple of different choices. You should have a button on your keyboard that looks like the window symbol. It's 4 wavy blocks. Two on top of the others. I'm sure this button has a special name, but it doesn't really matter. Choice one - and the easiest! Press this window symbol one time. It will open your start menu. From there you can get to your control panel. Choice two: If this doesn't bring up your start menu, try pressing this button and R at the same time. This brings up something called a run box. Again, the names aren't important, just what it allows us to do. Type the word control in the run box. Press OK. This will bring up your control panel. Good luck!
• Mexico
great help... I will contact you next time i have a pc problem. Like now. I have a web site that after i log in, I getthis 505 error. Why is this? Can you help me?
• St. Peters, Missouri
Hi Maria - I'm not a computer expert, but I teach beginning computers and lots of other stuff. As best as I can tell, the 505 error has to do with settings that aren't compatible. Do you see the error all the time? Do you use WindowsXP? It's possible there's a very simple solution, depending on whether it happens all the time or not and whether you use WindowsXP or not.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Wow StLouis you may not be a computer expert but I am convinced that you are the next thing to being one..your instructions are very percise+- and easy to follow... one question...I want to add a website to all my emails on yahoo can you tell me in a couple of sentences on where I need to go to affix this to my emails... I hope your instructions helps giftsget her computer going....
@911Ricki (13602)
Why dont you have a start menu? Hit the window symbol (or the flag in a circle), at the bottom left should pop up. I would plug in the printer usually it will automatically start if its a newer computer.
it is brand new. I will need to down load something the store said.
there is no window sign only an e for internet expl..
@911Ricki (13602)
What computer is it? Brand? Did you install everything? Most computers you have to start it up, and it will load itself (you wont be able to do antyhing until its loaded the software). Do you have the cd that comes with the printer?.
@dfollin (12744)
Hi gifts,Can you get to your control panel?
there is no way to get to it at all. I even read the book it came with and no help was there.
@leateagee (3667)
Oh my goodnees my friend. I think I can not be of help. I am not so good with computers. As I've read in the early responses, you just try their advices and I'll try to learn from them. Good thing their are people who are good at computers. Though I could ask my husband about it but at the moment he is still at work and I cannot just call him to ask about your inquiry. He might scold me.
Thee key is in her comment " the store where she it said she would have down load somethig" and they did not sell it to her. she needs to go back where she bought it and get them to fix it. then her probalems are over.
@rog0322 (2834)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Hi, If you don't have a start menu, then I may assume you have no taskbar, no system tray and all the things contained therein. If I am right with my premises, then you have a defective operating system. You should consider to have it repaired, reinstalled or reformatted.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
If none of these great suggestions work for you, contact the makers of the computer and advise them you just received this computer as a gift and are having difficulties starting it and you need some assistance. I am hoping they should/would be able to assist you...
@Blondie2222 (21747)
What kind of laptop is it? Are you talking about the button to turn your laptop on or to get to your menu list? Mine doesn't have a start button to get to my menu list so I just hit the window key that's on the bottom of your keyboard and it goes right there. Let me know and I can try to further help you.