Ways i've found i have some extra money

@saundyl (9698)
I moved from Saskatchewan to the Northwest Territories 2 months ago. Cost of living is higher here but with a higher paying job...and sharing expenses I've found it a little more affordable than living on my own down south. Little things that changed from there to here...have made a difference even with the cost of living being higher Things that changed: 1) I've started curbing my junk food purchases. Which is easier on my wallet and has also in turn helped me with loosing weight. A 510 ml bottle of pop here is nearly 3 dollars...and a case of 12 cans of pop is over 12 dollars unless on sale. Its a hard cost to justify. 2) We do grocery shopping for more expensive items when we go south because they're cheaper. 3) I got a higher paying job. having that extra money per pay cheque makes it much easier to put 25 to 50 dollars in my savings account. I'm used to living on less and if i make a point of putting it away as soon as i get paid i dont even miss it. AS well i've opened a Tax free savings account 4) Pay bills on time - no late charges or interest then 5) drive my car less - change of jobs and where i live i only drive my car for 2 minutes to get to work now versus 45 minutes. I fill my tank up once a month rather than 2 or 3 times a week. 6) Someone else is helping with the bills...he does mortgage where i do utilities, propane and heat. If i was alone i'd be paying it all...and he would be paying it all. 7)I opened a local bank account so i'm not having to pay External ATM bank fees and not having to express mail pay cheques home to be deposited. I can Etransfer money between the two banks. yes i have 15 dollars in account fees but the express mail 2 times a month was 36 dollars...plus an average of 25 dollars on external atm fees. Are there things youve changed lately that have saved you money? Any suggestions?
@BabyCheetah (1913)
Well if you want to save some electricity before you go to bed turn off appliances and if easy and possible unplug them from the powerpoint. When we started doing this we noticed some savings. I turn off my TV, laptop, computer and a small light. We also switch off the kettle, microwave and toaster. See if this helps you too
@saundyl (9698)
That would save electricity definitely. I used to do that in my old place. I still do it with the microwave kettle and toaster. Coffee pot says plugged in as its on a timer to start brewing 10 min before we get up. We dont do that with the tv or the satelitte and the modems as if we do it takes forever for the internet to start working again and the channels to show up on the satellite. What drives me super nuts is that my boyfriend always leaves the light on the stove exhaust on for light at night....i'd prefer it off but he and the boys (esp the boys) like it on. the boys also have night lights in their rooms.
Well at least you're turning a few things off. The lights are frustrating though as you'd save heaps more from that!
@cher913 (25895)
i got a tablet for our 25th wedding anniversary and now i can download books on there and i don't even have to go to the library. also, now my library subscribes to Zinio so i can read a lot of magazines for free too.
@saundyl (9698)
Oh that is cool! i have a tablet and read alot with it. The library here so far i havent even been able to find digital anything not even online renewals. Miss my old library!