Speaking to a group

@savypat (20248)
Hubby gave a talk to a group about his experiences working for NASA. We worried and worried about this, but his long term memory held up and the talk went well. It just goes to show us that all that worry didn't help at all.
@wolfie34 (26881)
That is no mean feat, having the confidence to get up and talk to a group, even if you know your subject well, it can be pretty daunting and nerve wracking, it's not something I could do, I don't have the confidence. So I admire him for doing it.
@choybel (5059)
Worry won't help at all but it helps to know that somehow because of this he got himself prepared for it. My girlfriend had to give a speech to introduce the guest speaker of their program a few days ago and she asked me for help. It wasn't easy because the speaker is not that well-known, although he is a politician. Anyway, it went well according to her so I'm just happy that it did.
@MandaLee (3695)
Dear Savypat, I am so glad the speech went well. No, worrying never helps. In my case, the things I spend time and energy being worried about never even happen.
@devonavis (1857)
• Greece
Worrying is one of the major causes of failures of people. This really can not give us anything positive, so we better avoid this. Speaking to a group or in public is very difficult because we are gonna be dealing with very different people or listeners, so we need to have a very good plan or strategy before trying. For me, I sometimes speak in our organization and before I begin, I always make sure that I got my audience' attention. There is no use of talking too much when no one is listening, even if what you are saying is full of substance :)
@sriroshan (2586)
People do wonders many time how one speaks in fronts of crowd or public meeting. Even I use to think the same things when I was a kid and use to appreciate the political leader or speaker as such when I use to go for any meeting with my parent. But as I grow up and taken the teacher job now I with experience I can address to crowd as such without problem. Not only this I give the speech in public meeting also. It is the practice and confidence in you that makes you ease
@Arieles (2474)
I have the opposite problem. I can speak well to a room full of crowded people, but when I'm in a room of six or seven people, the anxiety level goes sky high. I feel more scrutinized in a small group, because "all eyes" are on me and it just makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. Speaking to a larger group of people, when I am prepared is not a problem at all. Worrying can make the situation worse especially if you are nervous to begin with.
@ctryhnny (3463)
I think public speaking is tough for everyone. Your talking to a lot of people who are staring at YOU because you are the only one on the stage/podium or whatever. I used to have a problem with it but for some reason it's not a problem for me any more. Cudos to your husband being able to do that.
@inertia4 (26733)
You know, sometimes things like that happen the right way. What I am talking about is this, Since he worked for NASA, it must have meant a lot to him. It must have been very important to him as well. And those things we humans actually retain. He spoke from his heart about NASA it seems. Its much like someone who stutters, like take Jim Neighbors. He stuttered but when he sang he was perfect. Same here. That thing, NASA was ingrained in him. And some things we just never ever forget.