Hypothetically speaking,if another MyLotter ask money from you via message?

@bryanwmc (1052)
Malaysia
I am just curious , this is a response to the thread "I am Shocked" by Loving my Babies here at MyLot, when she along with many other MyLotters got message asking for $250 apparently because the money is needed to pay for the education of his kids or something to that effect...post was removed ..and all the responses was basically the same..it is a actually a stupid and bad idea to ask for money like that and very probably it is just a scam aiming for sympathy... But i was just thinking about something..just thinking mind you ! .what if the message was really genuine ? what if the guy really is in the dire situation he described and really needed help..mind you , i am sure it is not the case here of course..But would you help ?? If you found out that he was telling a true story,and he really cannot afford to pay for his kid's education I just can't help to think what the reaction would be if we get a message like that here in MyLot asking us for money to help someone get out of a bad or desperate situation..and it really is a genuine message, not a scam or attempt to solicit money only but genuinely based on somebody suffering if there is no financial help,and we are sure of that ! Or ,Lets say the person asks for $100 from those they messaged and you are among the recipients, and somehow you got to know that it is a genuine and true story of the dire situation, or maybe a life or death situation , somebody's family member , kid or spouse or parent, need urgently medical care but the person cannot afford the cost, and if nothing is done , someone might die..
@ctryhnny (3463)
I'm sure it's against mylot policy to ask members for money. On the internet we can be whoever we want to be and nobody can say any different unless you know the person personally. I would feel bad for the person but never ever give someone online any money. I could give you a sob story myself since I'm on Social Security and live on a very small check. I have to go to food pantries to get food at the end of the month. I could use some extra money but would never ask anyone including my own family. These people have to have family or friends who can help them so I wouldn't feel bad not donating to them.
@bryanwmc (1052)
I know, and yes, it is against policy to solicit funds here but isnt' that besides the point,but judging from the reponses so far,it seems to be the main focus, another thing is that , i wasn't referring to yet another sob story which i am sure we are all in need ,one way or another , not a single response so far actually answered the question i posed, sob stories are a dime a dozen, some so pathetic, you either sigh in agony or exasperation. but it is why i stated hypothetically speaking, the question is actually aimed at the inner selves of us all . Maybe i did not phrase it right.I kind of meant, What if it was a genuine dire situation needing our help and We can actually help if we decide to, But WILL we do so? Nought to do with yet another sob story, just wanting to mull over the thought ,Are we as good hearted and charitable as we like to think thatwe are ?
bryan I did not miss your point b ut someopwne in dire need has a lot of otions to get help from in any American city or town which o ut asking mylotters who often do not have any money to spare no magger how bad off the person really is.yues if I had noney to spare I would help someone in need but this sort of thing is ioffy as we haveno way of knowin if this is real or a frau d where he will collect 250from tne mylotters who fell f or his p messagel I canot help as I also need money myself.
@Angelpink (4023)
Her presentation mostly was interpreted as such. That was just too personal. If really in need , why not write in send message to a friend. There , it is more private and people would not be in doubt of your intention in in asking. We can't blame those who doubted her intention because many existing swindler around , using all means even winning our sympathy . Let us be careful aways.
@bryanwmc (1052)
HER presentation , goodness. so it was a lady who wrote the original message, was there anything else in the message asking for money apart from kids no money for school..It is very likely a play towards the sympathies but i think it turned around and bit her..as i posted earlier,i am so curious as to the contents of the message because i guess i like to interpret things i read and try to visualize the person, scammer or desperate or greedy swindler, behind the words they used.
@Angelpink (4023)
Why can the lady not used the kid as her front in winning sympathy of some people ? Isn't it happening around , frauds using the kids as their frontliners so intentions would not be that clear to the public , and appearing having honest , clean and pure intentions . I am not against helping especially kids , got a soft big spot for them but the way but the way she presented ( you don't buy this word ) maybe this word would be okay - but my intuition tells me there is something.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
I was to... I recieved the same message here on sunday. I read it.. dont know the person. I feel bad for them, but id never ask anyone here for money like that.
@bryanwmc (1052)
I don't really know what the fuss is about because i didn't see the message and the contents, didn't even know it was a "SHE". Thought it was a HE. WHat i know is what i read at the thread about that kids couldn't go to school because there is no money to send them and asking for 250 and that was it, since you got the personal message , please enlighten us a bit, was it as pathetic sounding as it seemed or did it had some desperate ring to it, i am so curious now as to how the message was written. busybody that i am.
I got the message and it was not for their kids to go to school, it was for the person to go to college themselves! Well, I am trying to go to college too. I cannot afford it either that is why I am getting grants and taking out loans to give my kids a better life. =)
Hey Bryan, What you say could be true, but, hypothetically speaking, what if that was just a scam? It's kind of like the Nigerian prince thing going on. How real can anyone be with asking for $250 online? If they're asking for money for "help" with their bills, or college tuition. Some sites don't let you solicit others for money. It could be genuine, but again, if they're asking complete strangers for money, I'd treat it like a scam.
@bryanwmc (1052)
Ya i know,it swings both ways,you are right of course, and consensus is that it is a scam and a foolhardy one , especially in a site like MyLot, it is just how my mind responds to things, you know, benefit of the doubt and all that. but having said that, i don't have to read the whole message to sense that it is a transparent ploy to play on sympathies of people and hoping to score with one or two who are gullible enough to fall for it, and why not, if there are people who can be convinced by a spam email that they have either won some lottery money or inherited a sizable fortune from a long lost relative they didn't even know existed, then they can be found anywhere and taken for a ride. i was actually wondering how people will respond in other genuine circumstances,with the option "to" or "not to" knowing they may affect a difference in how things turn out.. Actually, i was just mulling over my post and like, if i think if i got email or message that ask me for a contribution of a small monetary sum to help and i am convinced it is bona fide i may just do so, but it is the conviction part that is the hurdle.
@AkamaruKei (5220)
From what i know the discussion ask for money not allowed here. I want to help them if they really need help but i also dont have money. In my wallet only have MYR 30 or 10 dollar in us dollar.
Honestly, I have to say that if it was someone on mylot that I really didn't know, I wouldn't be able to give a person that I didn't know money. However, if it was someone that I am also friends with on facebook, or that I've had the opportunity to talk to outside of mylot, then I would consider it if our family's finances would allow for us to assist someone at the current time. You see, I've been in a somewhat dire situation like you've described here and it has been while I've been a member of mylot, but I will tell you that I didn't ask for anyone to donate money through mylot. I did my work with my fundraiser through facebook because the people that I'm friends with on facebook are mostly my personal friends.
@bryanwmc (1052)
I guess the cardinal rule of not being labelled an online fool is not to try to solicit funds on any social site approaching total strangers, who don't even know what they look like much less whether the claims of the desperation can be verified. I really doubt that anybody will seriously make a direct deposit into anybody's paypal merely because of a message that laments their circumstances as a sorrowful situation needing relief from anyone kind enough to want to help.like this appeal for relief in the aid of the children's schooling, the gimmick being the children' name and the idea of some poor helpless kids not able to get an education coz there is no money to send them, using kids as a gimmick is kind of repulsive thought if not despicable, and they even have the gall to ask for the specific amount of 250 dollars, so incredibly ludicrous when seen at a certain perspective..but was thinking , if there are people who really took it seriously and 30% of them sent her /him the amount asked, they will have made a fortune, they were gambling with the odds , , if 1 out of 50 or 100 fell for it, still a substantial sum to laugh over. maybe it is what prompted the idea of him/her asking for money here at mylot. but i am sure of this. he/she wasn't very smart
bryanwmc I hpe to God no mylotter puts me in that situation as I never have one hundred dollars I could spare. I am here in Gold Crest retirement' center as we were made homeless. My son finally has a job and a one bedroom apt with help f rom section 8 which he can barely afford. After G old Crest takes out' monthly board and r oom from mySocial Security and SSi Checks I have only 128 dollars fot the whole month thats why Iam mylotting , part of why I am here. there are agencies to help people in dire need of hospital help and I do not think that is right or kosher. I re ported this person who made a d discussion on asking for money. He broke my lot rules and was banned.
@bryanwmc (1052)
Holy Halo..round your head.. Hatley.! You actually got the gist of what i was trying to stress .with my post, it has nothing to do with the guy asking for money,just the fact that his /her situation just lead me to a place where my conscience met up with my pragmatism.Will i help if i get a email or message like that and somehow discovered that the plight descibed is genuine, or ignore it.."to do or not to do." When one has a fat or long sheet in bank statements then 100 or 250 is like chump change to buy peanuts to feed the monkeys ,but 100 bucks to people like you and I is the difference between going hungry and having a nice meal.
@dee777 (1418)
• South Africa
Wow! Not good at all to ask for money that way, but if you know the person personally you will think twice... On the other hand, someone you know will not use this, or any site to pose a question like that, hey.