on getting sponsorship for an event...

@Cutie18f (9563)
Have you done this before? Well, I've done it several times already. I've spearheaded events like ballroom dancing, debate, and spelling competitions and had to get sponsors for prizes, venue rentals, etc. Based on my experience, there's a lot of work that go with meeting up and convincing people to support or sponsor an event, but if you are hard-working and you know who to approach, you will be successful at it. I am not saying I am already very successful at this, but as a whole, I was able to pay off all the expenses incurred in having such events without having to spend anything from my own pocket. Have you done this sort of thing before? Do share your experience.
hi there cutie18f! i used to have an event management company so i'm used to talking to companies to ask for sponsorship for the events that i put up. these events are usually concerts coupled with arts and crafts show and sometimes it has storytelling and poetry -reading sessions. i went through that phase wherein music was my passion and i wanted to monetize my passion for music. i was involved in a music retail store before and i knew a lot of bands and artists personally so setting up concerts even at smaller venues and clubs was a viable source of income at that time. i agree that there is a lot of work to be done like meeting with the possible sponsors, with the bands/artists, venue management, and contractors, finalizing the contract and agreement among all parties and of course the actual work done on the event day itself. it is tiring but definitely a fulfilling one especially if you see a good profit after the event. right now, i still want to go back to event management but because of time constraints, i don't see myself doing this again anytime soon. cheers and happy mylotting!!!
@Cutie18f (9563)
Really Allen, you did this too? You sound like the pro in this. Can you share me tips on how I can get more sponsors?
hi cutie18f. i wouldn't call myself a pro at events management. i was at the right place at the right time as i had a great group of people who taught me the ins and outs of the trade. as for tips, perhaps the most important one is to know your target audience for the events that you'll put up. once you have correctly identified the people that will most likely be your audience, you'll be able to identify as well the most suitable sponsors that you can get. don't go for the 'one size fits all' mentality. think of your events as specific marketing campaigns wherein your sponsors can highlight their products or services. hope this helps. cheers!!!
@Cutie18f (9563)
Target audience--I will bear that in mind, Allen. Thanks for that.
@jenny1015 (13389)
Hello, Cutie! I have not done anything like this before but I am surely hopeful that you can give me some tips on how to properly approach prospective sponsors. You see, our High School batch will be celebrating our 25th Reunion next year. And so far the funds that we have came from the film showing that we have coordinated. We are atleast halfway through our goal. But I would like to ask for a few help, too from others who can make our event really a success. The line up of activities have not yet been finalized, but I would like to help the committee in getting sponsors for our event. What can you suggest?
@Cutie18f (9563)
Do you have the names of your batch mates? I am sure there are already many who are gainfully working abroad or even here. You tap them first, I know of alumni who donate generous amounts to their batch or school. Get in touch with each and everyone of your batch mates and ask if they can sponsor this and that, etc. I am sure you will have more than what you need for that reunion.
@jenny1015 (13389)
Actually,our batchmates from abroad have sent their "donation" to help with the funds. And it is hard to ask all those left here in the country to give something. I mean, they are relying on the organizing committee to do all the work. I get so frustrated everytime I am reminded how the batch ahead of us didn't have to worry raising funds for their own reunion. It was like all gave a generous amount and that they really didn't need much help from others people outside their batch.
@Cutie18f (9563)
They just lack the motivation. Have a very nice program for the reunion so they will want to come. You can do other fund-raising activities and there are many ways to do this. Be creative.
@JamesKYTan (1607)
I was always on the other end of the game. This means that my company was approached for sponsorship event like client's company annual dinner, family day, sport day etc. However, I do help my son to raise fund for his school library fund and school walkathon. Some of the directors and management of corporate companies are very helpful and they sponsor in the form of cash for donation and contributions. I also help my neighborhood watch to look for sponsor in kind and cash like bicycles and hampers. You are really good in your task for requesting sponsorship. Great job!
@Cutie18f (9563)
Thanks James. I hope to sustain these events in the future.
@Iriene88 (5352)
Wow, you are really good at this! Yes, you are absolutely right, must talk to the right person and the one that can make the decision. Making an appointment and manage to convince people to support a particular event really need a lot of preparation. I have not done this before, any tips or advise for those who will be in this line?
@Cutie18f (9563)
Hi Iriene! I think the best advise would be to have an event that is close to your heart and which you will love doing and organizing.
@prashu228 (25504)
That's really good. I don't have this experience. But yes it takes alot of hard work to achieve all these.
@Cutie18f (9563)
Really, a lot of leg work and strengthening of the guts.
@ltpotter (177)
I have never done this before but I bet once it's all set up and good to go it would be fun. Since I'm just a kid, so I don't think any company or important people would want me to do something so important.
@Cutie18f (9563)
Hi It! You can somehow start learning though.