Jack's nasty habits

@savypat (20246)
Any time you take in a stray cat, you have to beware of the habits learned in their prior life. Jack is the center of attention, if not, he yowls, if not answered he atacks with claws. At this present time I have spray bottles all over the house for defense, but it remains to be seen who will win this war. If humans do not prevail it will be back to the barn for him. We can always use more barn kitties to keep the mice down. Hubby is voting for Jack, me, I'm undecieded. iDEAS?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
stay consistent, ignore him when he yowls, spray him when he claws, it should eventually work...
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Hello savypat, here at home (that`s yours too) myhusband is against my cats, and of course I am for them. My mid kid has been attacked while sleeping my our male cat, I ask my kid to punish the cat, because cat has to know who rules. Humans rule. The cats had to adapt to our lifestyle. I`ll suggest that Jack has to learn that on your house your rules prevail, not Jack`s. Blessings savypat... dainy
@ctryhnny (3463)
I wouldn't take a stray cat off the street you never know what diseases it might have. A few months ago there was a female stray coming to my window every night and driving my 2 cats crazy and tearing my screen. I hated to do it but put out a "cat friendly" trap. After 2 days I caught her and had to call animal control to come and pick her up. She was really beat up and didn't look well at all. She ended up in a no kill shelter being taken care of.
hi savypat I am with dawn on this as if you keep spraying hnim when he misbehaves and are consistent I think he will learn that you and your Jack are the mastes of the house.Hope this really works so you will decide to keep the cat if he will just mellow out. good lu ck and God Bless.
@wolfie34 (26792)
Our cat meows all the time, she is really old now, 19 years and she has this awful noise she makes sometimes in the middle of the night, she is extremely vocal, we have to be patient and understanding with her because of her age. My partner used to bring home stray cats, and they had a nasty habit of catching frogs, now I love frogs, they are beautiful creatures to me and I lost count of the amount of times I would rescue a frog from their clutches. I would keep the frogs in an aquarium then I would drive to the nearest water reserve and let them go, if I let them free in the yard the cats would only bring them back again. I would say give Jack a couple more weeks and if he still doesn't toe the line then sign him up for mouse duties!
Me, I would have to say that I'm going to have to be with your husband on this one. The reason that I say that is because if he is the kind of cat that really does like to get attention, then I'm not inclined to believe that he would be the kind of cat that would really do all that well in a barn. I do think that you are doing the right thing to break him of this bad habit by trying to use spray bottles. I would do the same kind of thing if I was in your situation.
@JenInTN (27564)
Wow...an aggressive fellow for his attention. I once had a cat I took in that was like that but his previous owners had him declawed so the consequences were not near what they would have been. I think the spray bottles are a great idea..it is consequences for his actions for sure. Maybe you could lure him to a room and leave him in there for a while during his fits and see how that works. Kind of a time out approach.
• Greece
Stray cats can be difficult. Even ones that have been kept for a while in a cattery for strays can take a long time to settle. Have you taken your stray to the vet to get it neutered and checked out for fleas and any other problems? If he does not settle then he might be much happier in the barn. Dogs are easier somehow, they learn very quickly not to bite the hand that feeds them, cats are more nervous and quick to scratch. If the cat bites you then you will need attention too because cats carry a lot of bacteria in their mouths. My brother has adopted a cat and has been bitten several times and needed to have injections as a precaution afterwards. Don't let a good heart get in the way of good judgement.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
He's not accustomed to having people pets that care about him and let him know it. He thinks he's the pack leader. Once he is disabused of that fact, he will settle down. Give him time and just make sure he knows that you're the leader.
@bellis716 (4806)
I'd say back to the barn for Jack. Later you can tame one of his kittens and train it to suit your hhousehold.