Who are your iconic national figures?

@urbandekay (18312)
Most countries have figures, who for one reason or another stand out to such a degree as to become national icons. Who would you consider to be a national icon be it someone who contributed to your culture of science or some other field all the best, urban
@JohnRok1 (2051)
Before you get this discussion deleted as a poll, why don't you replace it with a similar discussion starting with a suggestion of your own? After all, you do belong to some nation or other, don't you, Urban? All the best, John.
@urbandekay (18312)
Well workers of the world have country but that aside, why do you consider it a poll? all the best, urban
@urbandekay (18312)
oops, I mean 'have no country' all the best, urban
@JohnRok1 (2051)
I'm not sure that I do. I just thought it was in danger of being seen as one.
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
There are so many! If I may throw a website at you for you to choose any to your liking... http://www.whitehat.com.au/Australia/People/People200.asp It really depends what period in history you wish to view. Or if they need to be living right now or not. If you care for a very recent one: our lovely PM recently belted the living daylights out of mysogyny, got the English to measurably broaden its Oxford Dictionary definition & supposedly altered parliamentry conduct (& questionably acceptable Aussie conduct towards the female gender) for the better(?) all in a single afternoon!
@urbandekay (18312)
Sounds like quite an achievement! all the best, urban
• Adelaide, Australia
Well, we'll see. With all the social reform we've had, if we'd had even half as much... no, just one scrap, of economic & workplace reform to match, our economy would be going "gang-busters" by now! Anyway, we can't expect anyone to agree on anything of "importance" in such a hung parliament.
@JohnRok1 (2051)
I'm not not sure that the English iconic figure isn't the Churchill Insurance Dog, but I'll leave that choice to you Urban. The Czech iconic figure has got to be Jan Hus, revered by Roman Catholics (including Anton Dvorak) in spite of Vatican attempts to replace him with "Saint John of Nepamuk", Nationalists, and Communists alike - He, of course, belonged to none of these categories. Good King Wenceslas probably comes a close second. No prizes for identifying Mustafa Kemal Atatürk as the iconic figure for Turkey. No prizes for identifying the one for modern South Africa either - I won't even bother to name him, but he would be in even higher regard but for Winnie (and I don't mean the Pooh). I think for Haiti it must be Toussaint l'Ouverture. For the Swiss, Wilhelm Tell?
@urbandekay (18312)
You are brave to speak for other nations but I thought Wenceslas was Polish all the best, urban
@JohnRok1 (2051)
Nothing like as brave as JerusalemFolk who speaks for Belgium. Give me César Franck over Jacques Brel any day! There was a Wenceslaus III Adam who may have been Polish or Czech, but the other Wenceslases were solidly Czech (of Bohemia). "Good King Wenceslas" should have have been in inverted commas as he was only Duke of Bohemia. King Wenceslaus I of Bohemia was a couple of centuries later. Sorry I misspelled Nepomuk.
@Torunn (2810)
• Norway
Famous Norwegian *hmmm* Fridtjof Nansen, because he walked around on skis, then tried save the world. Roald Amundsen, because he reached the South Poles first. Didn't try to save the world afterwards though. Then there's quite a few sports people, most of which have been sporting skis or skates. Gerhardsen, the prime minister straight after the war. I suppose the 3 kings we've had after the union with Sweden ended in 1905 all have contributed to uniting us as a nation. As for contribution to science, that'd be Abel (mathematics) and Birkeland I suppose. We don't have any real famous ones, not like the Swedes and Linnee and Celsius.
@urbandekay (18312)
Oh, Amundsen is the only one I have heard of I thought of Kirkegaard but then thought he is Danish. all the best, urban
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
For Jamaiaca it is definitely not Christopher columbua - althogh we do consider him to be one of our first tourists; Probably, George William Gordon, Samuel Sharp, and Paul Bogle -all of whom were freedom fighters.