Tom Cruise in Jack Reacher

@burrito88 (2779)
I still have problems with this. I started really Lee Child's Reacher novels from the start. Reacher, in the novels is a big imposing guy and Cruise is 5'7" tall. To put it mildly, he's a shrimp. He's not imposing and in the promos I've seen for the movie he does not look imposing or threatening. What's he going to do, jump up and down on your couch. I know Child approved of Cruise playing in the movie but to me it's a case of mis-casting. Alan Ladd was short (5'5"?) but the studios worked to make him appear taller. It doesn't look like they did that with Cruise. Here it's just a blatant case of sticking an actor into a role merely for box office and not for how he seems to fit the role. What do you think? How many other cases of mis-casting have you seen?
@rafiholmes (2897)
well..just me personally ..i dont mind.. i think i like Tom as reacher.. have u seen the second trailer.. the longer one..where he (tom) blend in with the bystander at the sidewalk to avoid being seen by the cops? imagine if he is 6'5 that would be akward that ur enemies are not intimidated by u..as u seen it that particular traielr where tom argues with the baddies on the phone.. anywya..dont matter.. ill to see anything with Tom in it..than some other actors.. for fans who loved the books..dwarting the size of the main character can be very unfortable.i assumed.
@burrito88 (2779)
The problem is Reacher is not supposed to BLEND in. He's supposed to be a big guy. He's supposed to stand out.
@burrito88 (2779)
I really don't understand a lot of what you've said here. I don't know what X-men movies have to do with this since they are fantasy. I agree that most people who see the movie probably will not have read any of the books which is a shame. Perhaps they will go back and read them and see why I disagree with the casting. Sylvester Stallone, by the way, is only 5 foot 10, which still makes him taller than Cruise and therefore a little more imposing. And frankly, who would you feel more threatened by, someone who is 5 foot 7 or someone who is 6 foot 5?
@UmiNoor (3496)
You're absolutely right. They do this because Tom Cruise is a big box office pull. People will come to watch his movies knowing that he's always in action pack movies and that will appeal to most guys and gals too. I guess for people like me who have never read the novel, it will not really matter how the main character looks like. I didn't even know that this movie is based on a novel. I saw the trailer and I thought it's the kind of movie that Tom Cruise would be acting in so I don't think that it's a case of miscasting at all. He is an actor whose already been typecast as an action hero.
@burrito88 (2779)
There are about 15 novels in the series out now. They have all been best sellers.
@Iriene88 (5352)
You got your point right. I never thought of that. I have not watch the movie yet but the trailer seems interesting. My son is planning to watch it soon. It will be more appropriate if they can cast someone bigger and fierce to carry the character more realistic. Therefore casting is very important. Have not consider any mis-casting yet on other movies, perhaps I should check with my son who is a avid movie goer...
@burrito88 (2779)
It's a shame Clint Eastwood is too old for this. This would have fit well with his Dirty Harry type role. Even Steven Seagal might have worked, if he were younger. What seems really sad is that they did not even seem to consider using an unknown or lesser known actor in the role. Michael Cudlitz, who has been in Southland and who played Bull in Band of Brothers, might have been good as Reacher but he doesn't have the box office name that Cruise has. At least he is 6'2". One of my favorite movies was Remo Williams, the Adventure Begins. The movie was based on a character from a series of cult paperback book that now numbers over 100 different volumes. Like the first book in the series, the movie took a bit to get going in order to develop the story line. I have to wonder if the movie might have had a sequel if someone with a more marketable name than Fred Ward was the star. (Joel Grey was excellent in the movie as the Korean martial arts master Chiun and he received a Golden Globe nomination for the role.)