AutoCorrect correct?

@p1kef1sh (45640)
This discussion is being dictated into my iPad. I have no intention of correcting anything that is written. I am sick and tired of AutoCorrect and now I am sharing my frustration with the world. Why does my computer Think that it knows what I want to say better than I do?
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Worse still, computers tend to incorporate American spellings..which I ignore! I don't use spell-checker either as it drives me nuts for that reason..amongst others!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I was surprised that the discussion came our right. Typical! LOL. These things are supposed to help us but they are no help at all if you have to retype everything because they AutoCorrect them wrongly!.
@Janey1966 (24127)
• Carlisle, England
Because you typed 'our' instead of 'out' as it's a correct word auto-correct doesn't pick it up.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
So true Janey.
I've had an iPhone for about five or six years now, and the damn autocorrect makes me so mad! I have learned that if you're patient enough, you can reteach it to leave your bad spelling alone! For instant, I finally got my phone to stop changing sh1t to shut by back spacing and retyping-it takes four or five times, but it will eventually work. I see that the ability to dictate directly into your iPad would explain the number of new discussions you've started recently-I can just imagine if I got a Mini! I always have my phone with me, so I can just imagine having a mini iPad attached to my hand-I have problems touch-typing on my phone, but to dictate? I'd be in heaven!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Can't you dictate into your iPhone? I suppose it depends upon which version of the operating system you are using. I looked at a mini in the store the other day and I can see the appeal. I got my iPad when I was I'll earlier this year and I confess to being addicted to it! I take it virtually everywhere and the boss says that three of us sleep in the bed! It's a good job that she is so broadminded. LOL. I shall see if I can teach it new tricks; thank you for the tip.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
It thinks it's your wife?
@p1kef1sh (45640)
It's not THAT picky!
@dragon54u (31615)
You're not the only one! Look up "damn you auto-correct" and you'll see some very, very funny auto-corrections. I wonder if it's programmed by non-English speakers?!
@BarBaraPrz (20085)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
And your point is? (Not borne out.)
@p1kef1sh (45640)
True. But it's good anyway!
@BarBaraPrz (20085)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
A quick search came up with this advice: To turn off this feature on the iPad, tap the Settings icon. On the Settings screen, select General and then Keyboard. Next to Auto-Correction, switch the on button to off. If you want to keep autocorrect on to catch typos — but would like an audio alert when it decides to change a word — go back to the General screen and tap Accessibility. Tap the on button next to Speak Auto-Text to receive an audible warning when autocorrect is modifying text.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I have turned off AutoCorrect now and let's see what happens. Thank you for looking that stuff up for me.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I know exactly what you mean, My Ipod drives me nuts with the auto-correct. Sometimes it is a big help when I don't know how to spell words. But it is annoying however.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I find it spells fine. Just spells the wrong word! LOL.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
Lol, that it does..I am however the bad speller at times.
@Mavic123456 (9869)
• Thailand
hahaha for non native English speaker like me I benefit from it Auto correct.. wheee .. i am so happy that this was even put into computers... sometimes I can see my mistakes and learn from it. Glad to have this really. yepeeeeeeee... About the American English, I have no problem too for our educational system follows English grammar and spelling.