You Can't Trust Anyone That Doesn't Lie.....

[b][/b]We all lie, normally just little white lies... Anyone that says they don't lie is ironically.... lying. There is nothing wrong with telling a little white lie now and again, it proves you are a considerate person. When somebody shows you a picture of their ugly child, do you say "That is one ugly Baby" No you don't - you lie and say "How adorable" You don't to upset the parent of the elephant man with the truth? When your child brings home their first painting from school and ask you to stick it on the fridge, do you say "Not with that effort sunshine, try harder" You stick it on the fridge and lie to you own child... you don't want to upset the little bugger do you? You get dragged out to the shops with your good lady and she ask that old favourite "Does my bum look big in this?" Now who would purposely upset the love of their life? So you lie, instead of saying "You look huge" Again I will say, there nothing wrong with telling a lie. we tell lies to protect others from the truth. " Tell me father, whom brings the presents this Christmas so we can celebrate the capitalisation of the Baby Cheeses?" and again, you lie "Have no fear little one, if you have been good - then Father Christmas will bring you wantever you want" You see how it works? Not many parents will respond with "Have no fear little one - I will spend every penny I have and then somebody elses money just so that you can wonderful Christmas" Move on 15 years and that same child is now a young adult - LYING TO YOU!! "Yes Dad, I will be at Rachael's house tonight having a sleepover" Why is she lying to you? Because you will have a stroke if you really know what she is doing
• St. Peters, Missouri
I dated someone once that had the philosophy we should never lie - about anything. Seemed to also have the philosophy that if he considered it to be true, it should be said. I learned very quickly the value of occasionally telling white lies to spare feelings. I believe in telling the truth. I don't think we should go around lying about everything just because it's easier. However, I have definitely developed the opinion that if more potential harm can come from telling a truth than telling a white lie, it's the white lie. I see absolutely no reason in telling the truth if it's not going to benefit anyone substantially and it stands to hurt someone greatly.
You are right. It won't be good if you go around lying about everything unless you are a born liar :))
Right on there! Lying is part if our culture when telling the truth will hurt or offend. I get into trouble telling the truth, so I generally don't say much. I don't care to dance around the truth with the niceties of saying what someone wants to hear. If I don't feel like playing the game, I tell the truth but say Lord Bless you, or God Love you and then tell the truth. Like, do I look fat? God live ya, but you know you could miss a few meals. I would say it in a joking way and all is fine. I hate lying about Santa. Santa didn't deliver those gifts. I bought them and my name was on the presents. From Mommy. I was heart broken when I learned there was no Santa. My daughter was always told that the gifts were bought by us.
That is indeed a good way to go PointlessQuestions. The fewer lies we speak is equivalent to the fewer sins we commit :)
Yes, sometimes we use a white lie so that someone's feelings will not be hurt. But sometimes we also do that in order to gain favor from another. However, if i am taling to my child or husband i tell them the truth. If they don't look good on this and that i tell them. That way, they can choose other clothes or way that really looks good in them
This is one thing I have to admit that I do even more than what's in your examples. For security purposes, I have told a lot of lies and I also tell them if I don't think that people will be able to be satisfied with me not telling them the answer. It's something that I have come to accept, but I doubt others will think it the same. It's just something we have to do sometimes. The truth does not always "set you free"...sometimes it can get you into more trouble. And to be fair, when I read the title of your post, I immediately thought of religious people. A lot of religious people I know claim that they do not lie and I have a hard time trusting them because while they clearly lie, they don't call it a lie. They invent all kinds of ways to justify it and say it's not a lie. If that's what they need to do, fine with me, but just don't tout your higher morality system to me.
@shion13 (85)
i think that we can't just trust anybody 100%. we don't need to. but we need to have some trusts or else, we won't have any decent relationship towards people. moreover a lover, we still need to trust them but it won't be 100% or we'll be a total fool. that's my opinion though. for not trusting people 100%, we won't be easily manipulated.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
The perils of parenthood. Other than the one about Father Christmas, he does exist you know. Lives next door to the Easter Bunny at the North Pole which is surprisingly temperate. They even have a private golf course! I understand, commiserate and offer no solutions other than ain't life fun!
@dodoazo (19301)
Telling white lie is covering one's inadequacy to do superior things or to hide with good intention something that is not expected to happen. I remember a typical example of telling a white lie is Moses himself in the Bible. He publicly denied his wife, Zipporah from Egyptian King to save his life. The weight and value of telling is dependent on the purpose of the person concerned. The modern form of telling a white lie is termed as euphemism. It is substituting a harmful or offensive words or phrases to a nice, good sounding one, so as not to aggravate the feelings of the person being talked to.
Why do we need to bring the Bible into it? Can we have a discussion without mentioning the Bible please? We are not all religious you know
@dodoazo (19301)
I'm very sorry! I don't have to tell a white lie that I don't like your reaction in toto for I feel bad of it. And a bit of reminder, please do not count me in your statement: "not ALL religious" for I'm a Christian and I'm religious. I found no limitations here not to mention anything about the Bible. It is my privilege to say something which is of great worth as far as I'm concerned and it will not in violation of terms and condition so stipulated in myLot. I repeat I'm very sorry. If there's only an option to delete my comment I would like to do it.
I really have no interest what faith you follow. I also did not imply that you were not religious. Why do you need to state that you are a Christian? In future I am going to respond with something along the lines of .... Hello, good points. I like a meat pie and I think Blah blah blah - You do see how irrelevant stating you faith is
@cupkitties (7158)
I don't know about not trusting them, but I'd certainly think they don't have many friends. I do not fully believe in sugar coating because there are some times when people need to know the truth. I think some people can not improve and better themselves if everyone always lies to them and no one ever points out what is wrong.
I told my kids the truth about santa and all that when they were little I never wanted to lie to them about it. I try to avoid even white lies but at times I make those. When I see a baby that is hideous I dont say oh how cute I just say how sweet or something like that because a baby is sweet it doesnt mean they are cute haha.
That's really the truth! Nobody in this world doesn't lie. Everybody does... Lying to the purpose of not hurting the feelings of anyone is being human after all. It is not wrong and it is part of our life...
@Arieles (2474)
Is this where we explain the difference between a "white lie" and "lying through your teeth?" I think there are different types of lies and done for different reasons. I have never known anyone to say "don't you think my baby is so cute?" Well, some may have, and you would have to respond in kind. Really, who are you hurting in this situation? You're protecting the parent and their feelings. Then we have another kind of lie, parents ask the child "did you sneak out your window last night?" (I say this one because my brother use to do it all the time). Well, the child lies to avoid discipline from the parents. Lies are lies and we've all told them. Stealing is stealing and we have all stolen something in our lives. We are all sinners, the bible told me that one. And if anyone says they have never stolen, never lied, then they are well...lying. We grow up though, well most of us and we know it's not right to lie, so we know how important telling the truth is. I sure wouldn't want to trust anyone who was known for lying. So, some may want to stick to their Joe Diffy story, but I think I'll move on. This is a great discussion and you have many valid points. Thanks for posting.
Hello friend ,we can lie with other people in different matters of lie.Lie is the part of our life.Some time people have facing difficult matters of life and hide the real things from other people that why we can lie the other people.This is a social problem and have tried to avoid it.
@natliegleb (5186)
ideally you cant trust anyone these days and if they lie along its a big drawback for sure and we must get rid of them easily because its prone to cheating on and the baby is bad
@enelym001 (8333)
Lol. So true! Lying is part of our everyday lives. I also don't believe in people who says they never lie and will never lie. Even when we are just a small kid we've learned how to lie already.
White is fine, but doing this with clear conscience. For the benefit of a lot people, then it is fine. It is true that we cannot trust anybody, the loyalty of a person is not that pure or genuine. It will change for some reasons..
abosolutely, nobody in the world oesnot tell lies, at least on our planet. so to some extent, to tell some white lies is a good thing and can be considerate for others.
@lsjapdoit (652)
Yes people lie often. There are also times when they speak the truth. Whereas whether or not we can trust them, that would be up to each of us to choose :)
@sukumar794 (5047)
• Thiruvananthapuram, India
To tell a lie is not always a sin. However the event should have some kind of sound reason.Many great personalities have stuck on to this faith.
A lie is a sin and human beings do that. That's why human beings are sinners :)
Sin is a false concept created by religion to make us behave and not to question the status quo. I am not a sinner, because I have never sinned
I wish I could find this verse again, but I accidentally stumbled across a passage a long time ago where God commands someone to tell a lie in order to protect another man from harm. That is the kind of thing I think maybe sukumar is talking about. In my opinion it is even more evil to tell the truth and put someones life in danger in the process.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
You are so right there my friend. I lie 50 times a day when customers ask me how I am I always tell them Im fine... even though I know Im not. have a great weekend there. See you here soon.
You are not alone mariaperalta :))
This is probably the most common lie that EVERYONE tells at some point...some of us just do it more frequently!
@Arieles (2474)
Because we know they do not really want to hear how we are, they are asking out of politeness or habit. Also, in general "how are you" could be translated to--"how is life treating you?" I know I don't want a count by count rundown of how sick someone is when I ask them "how are you?"
@GreenMoo (11842)
Why does this discussion leave me with the feeling you have a teenager at home?
I Have two teenage daughters.... And greying hair.