Man, the re-sale value of textbooks sucks!

I bought this used textbook online for $165 in the beginning of this semester. It's a 2012 book, and I could not find any deals ANY better than that on multiple different sites. It's a polysci textbook, in the edition I needed. THEN, all of a sudden, the end of the semester rolls around, and as I am trying to re-sell it on Amazon to at least get a little bit of my money back -- HA! The used price dropped down to $45. This makes me want to cry! It seems like once textbooks are over-distributed or something, their value goes WAY down? How frustrating is this? At least I can sell them for something, although I would prefer to be able to get a little bit more back considering what I had spent. SIGH. How do you handle this?
@blue65packer (11835)
I hear this all the time where I work! I work at a college and this is the same story I hear over time after time! Now the college I work at are starting to rent out textbooks and that is such a better deal then buying textbooks! Alot of students I know will resale their books like on Ebay. They get more money back on used textbooks then selling back to the college book shop!
How does renting a textbook work? I always fear that I will spill something on it or rip a page out, and therefore I'd owe them for buying the book? How does that work?
It's been hit and miss on getting halfway decent money back when I take my textbooks to the Buy-Back window. A few times I got back around half what I originally paid for it. Most times its 25% or less. One time I was offered only 3 bucks for a book that I paid around $40 for. I kept that one and gave it to my daughter.
@cher913 (25895)
yup, the price of textbooks are insanely high. my daughter is taking a massage therapy and for her first semester (september until last week) she spend $1,000 on books (as well as the kit she needed which was over $200). can you at least $45 out of it though? that would be better than nothing at all!
Well that is very normal,usually the used stuff re-sale the value and drop a lot,so I afraid that you may be have to accept this reality,$45 is better than none,right?
• St. Peters, Missouri
The price of textbooks is astronomical. I agree. I teach at a college and I agree. I always try to find a way my students can get the material cheaper. But it's still expensive. It seems I go broke trying to buy books for my college-aged daughter. One thing I've tried, with a good amount of success, is rental of books I know my daughter won't want to keep. It's still expensive, but it is at least a little cheaper.
There really isn't much to do about it. You have done the best things--buying a used textbook online and, then, when it is no longer needed, reselling it online. There's not much more that could be done in your case. "New" editions of textbooks are frequently released. They are huge wastes of student money and precious natural resources, but they are huge cash cows for the publishing companies. Often, the "updates" are almost non-existent--a few changed words, an added paragraph.