My daughter is still scared of the dark..

she asked me to please not turn off the tv. I said,I can't afford to let the tv run all night. so,I turned on the fish tank and I will also turn on the tiny tree by her head. I have another night light some where but who knows where right now. she is always sleeping with the light on.
@Dominique25 (9475)
I guess there are some things that people never outgrow being afraid of. My daughter is still very young and she is scared of about everything. She is scared of the blender,vaccuum, when a person coughs or sneezes. She gets frightened easily. I hope though that for the majority of these things she will outgrow them.
@mariaperalta (19094)
• Mexico
well my dear, Im 34 years old and do not like the dark. I live in a big 5 bedroom home all alone. I leave my bedroom door open all night, and I leave the hallway light on all night long here. Have a great week there.
@williamjisir (22901)
My four-year-old son is only afraid to walk into the dark in the evening, even afraid to walk into the living room when the light there is not on. He always asks us to go with him for something he needs. When sleeping, he demands the light should be turned off as it hurts his eyes. Take care.
@alberello (4755)
Well, fear of the dark, is a classic of children. in this respect, I ask the question: How old is your daughter? I, too, until the age of 11 years, I was afraid of the dark. When I could not sleep, then I woke up in middle of the night and went to sleep in my parents' bed. And like everything else, the phobia of the dark, for me, has passed.
@Arieles (2473)
My son is still scared of the dark too, but he has a night light for his room and he just turned 12. I'm not scared of the dark, but I like to have a night light on in the bathroom in the night. I don't want to turn the overhead light on because it hurts my eyes after sleeping (it's like coming out of the movie theater in the middle of the day) I really dislike stumbling around to find my way to the bathroom. Ha! I'm sure the fish tank gives off a lot of light, well it's helpful anyways
@fatlex06 (895)
Hi there. How old is your daughter now? If she's still a teen I think it's normal for them to be afraid of the dark. Well, actually, yours truly is still afraid of the dark too. I don't know why but I want to see some shade of lights when I go to sleep. But unlike before, I can close the lights now but the lamp is on because I know that it is safe because my mom is just beside me.
@cessybear (223)
How old is she? In my opinion, and my observation with my nephew (5 years old), that's normal. He always sleeps with the the lampshades on. And yeah, he's also afraid of the dark. He can't even go to the bathroom alone. Someone has to be there near him so he wouldn't be afraid. We are also trying to not watch Horror movies, which is ironic for him because they are his favorites. Hahaha
@trisha27 (3497)
I admit it I'm still afraid of the dark. Crazy I know and I'm like 30. But its true, at least until I fall asleep. I don't need to sleep with a night light I just hate walking in dark rooms and dark hallways and that's because of my husband's love for scary movies. I've watched so many scary movies, I'm now afraid to walk into dark rooms and especially long dark hallways.. But anyway, how old is your daughter and like me there probably is a reason for her being afraid of the dark. Maybe you should talk to her and see what the reason is.
I am 29 and I am still afraid of the dark. I know after this long it will never go away. If I go outside in the dark for more then a few minutes such as to quick take the garbage out I start hyperventilating. I am not as bad as I was when I was a kid. I would lay awake all night sweating and staring around the room terrified.
I also sleep with whe light from the TV on. I'm not scared of the dark though. I just like it dimly lit in my room. Since she is frightened in the dark, I'm glad you can have a night light on for her.
Given some of the places she's been recently, I can certainly understand that. Your daughter has gone through a rough time, and I'm certain that there have been plenty of reasons to fear what might be lurking in the darkness. It isn't uncommon for me to sleep with a bathroom light or closet light on if the environment makes me feel that it is warranted. I dislike waking up in the middle of the night and feeling that I have to stumble about for a light switch, so it is easier if there is some source of light from somewhere. It isn't a fear of the dark but, rather, a preference for not stumbling over a cat toy (or cat) in the dark or having some other issue and having to fumble about for a source of light.
@natliegleb (5184)
that happens because most of the teenage guys and kids are mighty scared and worried and contemplating about evil.that is the sole reason
maybe she is too young to adapt to the dark. you may accompany her in the night,so she will not be scared.
how is she? maybe bacause of her imagination. i'm also experiencing that even if i'm old enough because of watching horror movies. :))
@bluespygirl (2112)
I am not afraid of the dark. Even as a child, I like to stay in the dark. When I want to be alone when I was younger, I go inside the cabinet and close the door. I just want to be in the dark and have a time to be alone and quiet. I feel like the dark is embracing and comforting me. Do I sound dramatic? Well, I am. :) I think it is normal if she likes the lights turned on whatever your daughters age is. We are different one way or another anyway.
@bLadeee (403)
Nothing wrong with that, I used to be afraid of the dark when I was a little brat.
@bittu27 (86)
The question is that what is her age. generally some children are very much afraid of the dark and so they wants to keep the lights on during the night also. my niece and nephew are also scared of the dark as they both are below five years of age.
@asliah (11147)
hi, i could say that i am still afraid in the dark especially when i feel there is something in that place,i don't even turn off the light for a minute,but here in the house since i live here for how many years i am not afraid when i am homed and no lights.
@UmiNoor (3694)
My 9 year old daughter is still afraid of the dark and she won't go to the toilet alone at night. I think it's quite normal for a young child to still be afraid of the dark. Perhaps you should let your child have a night light until she's able to sleep in the dark.
@LadyDD (519)
This happened with my boy as well when he was about 4 years old. Dark was a terror for him because he had been scared by a baby sitter. It took me a long time to make him feel secure again, but at last I had no more problems. It's important to convince him he has nothing to be afraid of. But let him with a tiny light when sleeping as long as he wishes. I did it for several years.