Seasonal Depression

Do you suffer from seasonal depression? http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/seasonal-affective-disorder I find that in the winter months I'm more depressed because there are less hours of sunlight. It's usual cold out and I spend more time inside where I'm not getting direct sunlight.
@mariaperalta (19226)
• Mexico
My mom used to get down every year at this time... see always said it was because she could buy or be with everyone over the holidays. Ill be here all alone for xmas.. Im begining to understand what she went through... merry xmas.
Sorry, you'll be alone for Christmas! Also, my kids have grown up and went their seperate ways. Also, don't have money, but this year I'm getting back to the real reason for the season. Merry Christmas to you as well, my friend!
• Mexico
I think Ill be ok, just I like to cook and have a family dinner . But I work in cafe on 24th and 25th. i should do well here. merry xmas my good friend....
• Marion, Kansas
In opening your cafe, mariaperalta, you are being like family to those who come in, and giving them a place to be. Merry Christmas. I know that does not take the place of a family dinner.
@carmelanirel (21112)
I believe I have a mild case of it so I had a fluorescent light fixture installed in my kitchen. That is a lot cheaper than those lights and works for me..
@BarBaraPrz (14276)
• Hamilton, Ontario
I have one in my kitchen window, too, mimicking daylight for some of my plants. That window looks out on the side of the next house hardly 3' away so I'll put that light on about 4:00 until I go to bed.
Good idea... I know that even when we have longer days, but they are rainy and cloudy, that the light helps me then too, I don't feel as sleepy..
Thanks carmelanirel and BarBaraPrz for responding! Guess I'll ahve to invest in some fluorescent light bulbs.
@wolfie34 (26894)
This is quite rare it seems but I get SAD in the Summer months, SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) can happen at any season, Winter, Summer, Spring or Autumn, it's just that less people have it in the Summer. I am heat intolerant, I can't stand the heat, and my moods crash in June, July and August. Yet in the Winter when people are depressed, my moods actually lift. Strange I know. I would much rather be cold than hot.
• Marion, Kansas
Wolfie, I have read of this before. I think I do have a hard time during our hottest months as well.
@wolfie34 (26894)
Glad I am not the only one, I absolutely DREAD the Summer months
@BarBaraPrz (14276)
• Hamilton, Ontario
Yes, I have it. All I really want to do at this time of year is to hibernate, which adds to it, I guess, because I don't go out. On days I do happen outside, I feel a bit better, but I don't like the cold. Can't wait for spring to get here, and it's not even Christmas yet! And I guess that has a lot to do with me not being in the Christmas spirit. I'm just a summertime gal.
Same here Barbara, bring on the sunshine and hot weather...
I agree with you both, let the sunshine in!
Yes I do. This year, it's quite horrid because it's compounded by my not having any luck job hunting (and a host of other reasons I won't go into right now). I've been sleeping a lot more than usual (I went to bed at 10:45 PM, woke around 7:30 or 8:00 this morning, went back to bed after a short time and didn't get up for good until 11:00 AM). It's been a problem for me for quite some time, but I'm noticing it more and more this year.
I totally agree with you scorpiobabes, I've been sleeping more. It's not a restful sleep either, I toss and turn. I take naps during the day. I can relate with the personal problem issues too, boy, could I name a few! It seems like mine started out earlier this year, but maybe it's because of our personal situation.
It's awful-I'm yawning right now but I'm not even tired! I'm so unmotivated, but I know that I need to continue to job hunt if I ever expect to fix my situation. All that tossing and turning is messing up my neck and back too. I hope things begin to improve for you, and have a wonderful holiday.
Hi Stout. Lots if folks supper with seasonal depression which can also be describes as seasonal affective disorder. I used to suffer from it, but I don't usually get depressed anymore. One of my meds for nerve pain also acts as a antidepressant, so I don't even have to be treated for it now. It's good to feel good now.
Glad to hear you found some relief PointlessQuestions! At least it only comes once a year! Thanks for responding to this discussion!
@jenny1015 (13398)
I have to agree with that. The condition of where we are at affects our mood. That is why during summer, we would like to spend it most of the time at the beach or just hanging out with friends. Cold season makes other people grim.
Exactly! Fun in the sun! Thanks for responding to this discussion!
@Danzylop (1112)
I think the reason why you thought you are depressed is due to the fact that you did not come out. And while spending time indoors, you miss your activities, your friends and relatives. In my country there is only two seasons, rainy and dry. So we never experienced to be trapped in our houses because the snow is covering the field.
@Danzylop (1112)
On the other hand STOUTjoddie, Filipinos are more active on Christmas seasons. I can give you a logical explanation regarding this but we really feel more inspired and happy because December is the time when we get along with the whole family again. We get the chance to go out for a vacation, and everything for family bonding.
The reason I don't go out is because it's not all that sunny outside. I go outside but not as long as I would during the summer since there is more daylight in the summer. Thanks for responding!
@Micmac (5402)
I kind of opposite since I get more sad during the summer seasonal months rather than winter. Winter makes me energetic, cheery and I love the cold weather. Sunlight, heat in summer, louder traffic noise, loud air conditioners running makes me weary and moody. Winter is my happy season.. so I'll take winter anyday.
@Micmac (5402)
sorry I meant to say 'I'm'
@blue65packer (11836)
I do get sad and depressed this time of the year. Alot has to do is I hate the holidays! Especially having no Thanksgiving this year did not help at all! Don't want to get into the reasons I get depressed around the hoidays! I've mentioned this before in other discussions! Hopefully tomorrow at work when the kitchen staff has our annual Christmas party will go good. I know my family Christmas will be held on the 29th and it will be at my older brother's. Hopefully that will go good,too.
I think during the winter months and holidays we are in a financial crunch and that can be depressing. Spring the leaves are turning and there is sign of new life, whereas in the winter, there is no life for trees, flowers and the like. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas with your family and keep us posted how it all goes!
@jillhill (37358)
No...I am the opposite! I love the winter and love staying in working on my crafting projects....so I don't get depressed. I love the holidays and so just thrive on having time, staying in working on my own projects.
I know they recommend those lights to sit in front of a couple hours a day. But I looked it up and those things are expensive! Some doctors even tell you to go to a tanning salon because even that can help.
@silverfox09 (4727)
i have never notice this but its sound like a possibility for some people . I think some people also get depress because they cant celebrate Christmas the way they would hope .
• Marion, Kansas
Many people are depressed around this time of year, and I agree that for many of us in the northern hemisphere it is made worse by the shorter amount of light. It is no coincidence that most cultures have a light festival at this general time of year. Christmas tree, yule log, Menorah, Kwanzaa lights, Diwali. . . we miss the light. I know that we have a deeper reason for our celebration, but you know, our expectations are so high at Christmas that it is hard not to get depressed and feel let down. So, in addition to focusing on the reason we celebrate Christmas, getting direct sunlight or full spectrum artificial light is good. It is also important to sleep enough and eat well to make the symptoms less bothersome. Merry Christmas.
@jambi462 (4601)
I wouldn't really call it depression more of a seasonal boredom. I live in Northern Michigan and obviously it gets pretty cold here. I am really not a fan of winter and I would rather stay inside than be cold which really limits the things that I can do each day. I want to play basketball but it's hard to play basketball outside when there's snow all over all the basketball courts everywhere. Plus it's too cold to feel your hands or play without gloves on. I don't really enjoy any winter activities either which is really the biggest reason for my winter boredom. I just can't seem to find entertainment out of being too cold.
@suspenseful (40330)
Yes I do and in the winter months it is harder, because there is so much snow here and when it gets near freezing, the sidewalks ice up. I feel tired, but I do go out in the yard because I need as much sunlight as I can even though it is not as much. It is also hard when it is dreary outside with a lot of cloud cover. Trouble is when the sun is out in winter that is when it is the coldest.
@dragon54u (28448)
SAD does not affect me but my mother suffered with it. When I lived in Arizona I had something like SAD only it was because there was barely any relief from the sun--day after day, week after week with sunshine. No clouds, barely a breeze, no rain or any variety in the weather, just relentless sun day after day. I was seriously depressed and when we did get some sort of rain or even clouds my spirits lifted and I felt alive again. I hated the sun. I love the sun now, because it's not always there. I live in a place with a variety of weather, someplace more natural as God intended. Whenever it's dark and I wish for the sun, I don't get depressed because I think back to those horrible years out west.
@edvc77 (2144)
Sun rays would give one energy. However, not having sunlight would make a person depressed. It's really depend on the person how he would cope up with this season. There are a lot of things to do inside the house. Depression is not really good. One should fight it even in cold winter days. Take it easy and have a nice day!