Do grown people need curfews?

I was just reading about a person 24 dating another grown up I won't say how old. because I want to know do grown ups need curfews. well,this girl was not able to go out of town or out late until after she broke up with the man her parents hated. why are parents treating grown kids like children? if they are old enough to drink should they not be old enough to know when they should be able to leave town with a mate..
@ShyBear88 (17427)
I don't get it. I never had a curfew as a teen or anything at all. I was a very honest girl. I know my kids aren't adults yet but if they where dating someone that I didn't like I wouldn't try to break them up or try to tell them what they do. As long as that person treat her or him with respect and doesn't hurt them I'll find away to be okay with them dating. I don't know about my husband.
The girl was 21 and she could not go anywhere with the man. now they are broke up she has no curfew..
@ShyBear88 (17427)
She is old enough to be out as late as she wants as long as she doesn't make a lot of nose. 21 that makes her old enough to drink and stuff so not a baby and so doesn't need a curfew.
@papascel (26)
If they are mature enough why still a need for a curfew.Let them handle things of there own, after all they have there own discernment.
That is what I say as well. Some parents want to do what they can to protect their child.
@devonavis (1857)
• Greece
I don't think they need it. They're already grown ups, and as expected they should know what they should be doing. But some areas implement curfews that is applied to all ages for safety purposes.
• St. Peters, Missouri
If they're living in my house, yes. When I'm living alone, I don't feel the need to call my mom and tell her what time I'll be home. And she doesn't feel the need to tell me what time I should be home. I have no one to answer to and what happens to me is my responsibility. On the other hand, I'm living with my daughter now. She's 20. I feel I do have the responsibility of telling her my plans. What time I'll be home and where I'll be. It's called common courtesy. I expect the same in return. I don't set a curfew for her. She's an adult and I expect her to make adult decisions. However, I do expect her to tell me where she's going and what time she'll be home. And abide by it. She knows times that are reasonable. She's also been very good about knowing that when she's at a friend's house and it gets late, she should call and tell me. She's also good about knowing not to drive in the middle of the night when she's tired. She'll often spend the night at a friend's house instead of drive home when it's late. As long as she tells me, I don't expect her to come home. I've never had a problem with her NOT doing this, however I would have no problem helping her find an alternate home if she decided this was too difficult. I don't believe in telling her who she can or can't date. However, I will give her my opinion. I've been known to withdraw my support. My daughter was unable to drive for six months. She wanted to go to a neighboring town to meet a boy. I agreed to take her. She told me they would stay at the park. I arrived at the park early to pick her up, and they weren't there. She continued to lie about her whereabouts when I called her to make sure I was in the correct location. I refused to take her again. I didn't say she couldn't date the boy, but I did tell her she would have to figure out another way to get there. She rode her bike ONCE. She broke up with the boy. In my opinion, much more is accomplished by treating them as the adults they insist they are. What she really wanted was the rights that go along with being an adult without the responsibilities. In my world, they go together. So they do in her world too.
@sid556 (31005)
great response!! I feel the same about. Even as teens if my girls were communicating honestly with me, i did not impose a curfew. i had one that was very wild and i tried to but it never worked she would sneak out in the nite etc. it was a nitemare. She's all grown now thankfully and doing good. she learned it all the hard way
@asliah (11149)
hi, parents now a days even before are still over protected to their child especially those parents who have only once child are more over protected,but normally at the age of 20 and above the person have already an own decision and of course they know already what they should do and take care for their self.
@Arieles (2474)
I believe if a child is living with their parent/parents then they should have a curfew. I'm not saying it wouldn't be okay to be gone for the night, but I am saying that if you are going to be gone for the night let them know. If you are out at a party, or some other gathering then the child should be expected to be home at a certain time. People opening and closing doors and coming in at 2am in the morning is disruptive to someone's sleep cycle and it's only common courtesy to be home at a reasonable time so no will worry about you. If my parents hated the man I was seeing, I would find a way to be with him however I could. No one comes between me and my relationship with my family and no one will come between me and my relationship with my mate. My life, my choices.
@kabz_peg (27)
As for me, curfews are for everbody, especially those who don't know how to control themselves and get their encounters outside to a minimum. It's somehow a good means of preventing them from getting involved with any harmful possibility that they might get into. Grownups who are well educated and have good sense of control over themselves no longer need curfews.
Adults only need curphews for two reasons. 1) The whole area is under a curfew for some legal reason. 2) They're on probation, and the curfew is a part of their probation. In some cases, people of certain cultures where marriages are traditionally arranged, or considered by parents, they will use a curfew to punish adult children for diobeying, because in their opinion as long as thery are living at home, they are still children. I do not agree with them on this one. An adult is an adult, regardless of where they live.