What the H~ Is My Computer Doing that It Must Finish before It STOPS?

@mythociate (15740)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Isn't that what those 'X's are supposed to MAKE your computer do---STOP ... WITHOUT FINISHING! Why does it always have to 'finish' before it'll stop? What if you want it to STOP without finishing (and of course without going through the whole rigmarole that comes with 'cutting- and replugging the power' )
You got me. It's trying to quit but you're interrupting it? Yeah, I don't know... but it would bug me halfway to insanity when I still owned a PC. I'd try to exit out of a program that would get hung up, then I would hit control-alt-delete and try to shut it down that way (and it says that it doesn't want to shut down and I start to feel like I'm fighting with a two year old...) and maybe an hour later it would finally go away. But I usually pulled the plug first. On my Mac I have "Force Quit" and whenever I use it, it works instantaneously. It's like magic!
@mythociate (15740)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Does PC have something like a 'force quit'? (I'll look that up with MyLot Search)
It has the "Task Manager" (the infamous crtl-alt-delete" window) but in my experience it never worked very well. (End now!.... Okay... now! Right about... now! )
@mythociate (15740)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I searched and found http://search.mylot.com/search.aspx?t=web&k=force+quit%2c+pc?ref=mythman with a link to an entry where some guy mentioned pushing 'ctrl + OPTION + delete' (OPTION---is that the one with the little 'Windows'-drawing on it?)