dotted dress + 13 round fruits = MONEY

@Cutie18f (9564)
That's what my late mother used to do on New Year's Eve. She would let us all wear clothes with polka dots and on the day before New Year, she'd have gathered or bought 13 different types of fruits to symbolize money. According to her, when you wear a dress with polka dots and have 13 types of round fruits on the table on New Year's eve, you will not have any problems with money the whole year round. Some people don't believe this but I think majority of our people here practice this. Just try to observe on the day before New Year. The prices of fruits would ridiculously go up and you see people buying and bringing home round fruits. Dotted blouses or dresses are also sold out everywhere. What do you think of this?
@wolfie34 (26877)
It's interesting to hear about how different people have different traditions and superstitions. I learnt from another discussion that 2013 is the year of the Emerald and Emeralds are green symbolizing money. I see 2013 as lucky because of the '13 But regardless, I won't be buying a dotted blouse or dress, they just don't suit me! My mum used to hate spots and dots as patterns on clothes.
@Cutie18f (9564)
Oh. It's really different with different people.
@kaichoukebz (1190)
Those were some sort of good luck for the next year. There is really no problem with it. I think it is still practiced by many. I had some of my friends doing such practices. I just hope and pray for good health, success and peace for the next year. God is the only one who will know what happen.
@Cutie18f (9564)
Hi Kai! You are so right, but still, it is interesting to know how some people prepare for the coming of the New Year.
@narnia007 (1051)
I have not heard about this kind of custom.In my part of town,several superstitious traditions are carried out to keep the money safe such as tying colored bands in the wrist or finger rings.Like you said,these kind of items will be definitely pricey.True or not,they give people a piece of mind.
@Cutie18f (9564)
Hi Narnia! This is Philippine tradition. It's interesting to know more about what other cultures do to welcome the New Year.
@edvc77 (2143)
My mother used to say and practice that every new year. We have this 13 round fruits. It's kind of superstitions. However, I prefer to welcome a new year with lot of prayers. Thanking and asking God for protection the whole year through and for more opportunities and blessings to come. I pray for good health too. :-) Happy New Year!
@Cutie18f (9564)
Hi Ed! I know you must be in PI too. It's the tradition here among many people.
hi cutie I think its sort of charming superstition and would not harm anyone but whether or not it brings one money who knows really? We do not have this practice but I like polka dots and love fruit to so I would probably enjoy this symbology myself. Some fruits here in the US are a little ex pensive but a lot are not. Round fruits then t symbolize money I take it.
@Cutie18f (9564)
Yes, that's what our old folks here say and I think the modern generation has picked up the belief. No harm in trying really.