The best way to learn is to teach...

@Arieles (2474)
I believe I have mentioned I homeschool my twelve and thirteen year old. As I have gone through there lessons this last year and a half I have found I am learning right along side of them. We've researched so many topics. My favorite topic we studied was the Rainforest. We even went to the Rainforest Cafe and sampled some of the food there. I would love to go back. We've gone to museums and parks as well as the Mall of America. Learning can be a lot of fun when it is hands on. What new thing have you learned by teaching your kids?
@jodylee (968)
I am hoping to home school my children next year. I have a 6 year old and a almost 4 year old. I do not like the public school system here and really would like to make that change happen. My kids both love learning about presidents and I have learned so much about presidents while teaching them. We research and watch videos online. It is pretty cool. My kids enjoy learning from me and I enjoy learning from them!
@Arieles (2474)
That is great! Some states are a little more home schooling than others, so i wish you much success. A great site to check out for presidents is education.com they have a great list of all the presidents with little paragraphs about each of them.
@jodylee (968)
I have heard that about states being different. We live in Maine and I have been doing a bit of research. I am really hoping to get an RV over the next year and take this show on the road, if you will. I like the idea of teaching my children and having them see the sites. We love education.com. Both my kids love to learn and are very excited to learn new things. I have heard parents say they can't teach their own children because the kids are not excited to learn from them. I like that my kids are excited to learn from me.
@Arieles (2474)
Oh wow! That would be so much fun. I have seen on tv, where a couple was doing exactly that with their kids. Can you imagine? They sold everything, their house, their belongings and went on a tour around the United States. They just started this past September. I wish you the very best of luck on this homeschooling journey.
@peavey (16587)
Oh, for the days! I homeschooled my last two and really enjoyed it. It's true that you learn when you teach. The outings were the best. We took weekend trips to see caves and bison and museums, etc. and learned a lot of things.
@Arieles (2474)
Homeschooling is something I have always wanted to do, and I am happy I finally made the decision to homeschool my last two kids. We have so much fun learning and growing together. My son especially enjoyed visiting a bee farm.
@peavey (16587)
I really enjoyed it. When my oldest daughter was in school it was practically unheard of and I didn't feel the need, but when the last two were in 3rd and 5th grade, we were unhappy with the way they were being taught (or not taught) so we decided to try it. It was the best thing we ever did for the kids.
Well, I don't homeschool my children, but I do find that I am learning right alongside them because of the fact that I do help them with their homework and I learn from that despite the fact that they are only in 4th grade and kindergarten. The main thing that I'm learning right now is that my Spanish is steadily improving because of the fact that my kindergartener is in a Spanish immersion kindergarten program so he is learning a second language as he is learning to read and write.
@Arieles (2474)
Learning a second language is so much fun. My son is teaching himself french and he's so good at it too. He is picking up the pronunciation so fast! This is the best time to learn a second language, and I wish more schools would introduce a second language when they are in the lower grades.
@barehugs (8986)
It's a generally accepted fact that those who cannot do it,teach it. In most cases the teachers are good in theory, but lack the hands-on knowledge to actually accomplish the task.Of course it wouldn't be fair to ask the teachers about their work ethics, because they could be very good teachers, and lets face it-The students need the theory and the hands-on experience will come later.
@Arieles (2474)
Hands on learning is the usually best for most as we all learn by doing.
I totally agree with your idea. At present, I teach some basic courses in my company, before i have a class, i will make a lot of preparation. During this process, I learn a lot.
@Arieles (2474)
That is great you are able to learn at your place of employment too. It sure does make your job so much more interesting when you love learning about what your doing.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
Maybe, also a good way to earn is to watch and listen. Give it a try it works. I also like you learnedd alot helping my son with his homework when he was younger. Have a great day there...
@Arieles (2474)
Of course, watching and listening is a great way to learn for adults as well as children. Thanks Maria, have a great day
That sounds like fun! I have also learned a ton from Home Schooling my daughter. So much about science especially that I didn't know. Last week we learned about magnets. It was a fun lesson! =-) She had a magnet and she went around the house looking for things that the magnet stuck to and we made a list of what's magnetic and what's not...
@Arieles (2474)
My son loves science and currently is studying electricity and my daughter is studying the solar system. Fun!
@GLight (2)
Hey Arieles.......you are so right.....I enhanced my knowledge of Football while coaching and teaching my son the game.......there are so many differences in the Youth game and the NFL game and changes in the game from each age level that if you just concentrated on just one age group it would take a while to master it. This experience taught me the difference in kids development and gave me an opportunity to mentor kids and teach some life lessons!
@Arieles (2474)
It's true too. Ha! Maybe I should teach my kids how to play football. I know the basics but I could probably learn more. No, wait I should teach them how to play tennis! Now that's funny
@Dassodils (2013)
hai dear friend..you are right.that is the main way to study some thing easily. while teaching some thing to others we study that how to keep it in mind with our forget.That is a good way to easy learning.we can use this thing to teach our child too..make a aware of that topic to the child.and say them to take a class on this topic to us back. they will surely earn the lessons.In my child hood I used this way to study well..I will read some thing.then I will say this to my parents.or they have no time,I will imagine that there are some students that to take classes.Thank you..have a nice day..