I won't grow up

@dawnald (84146)
Shingle Springs, California
Today I'm taking the kids to see the musical Peter Pan with Cathy Rigby. A song from that musical, "I Won't Grow Up", is kind of my theme song. :D I remember when Cathy Rigby was in the Olympics, and she's been doing the role for a lot of years (took over from Mary Martin). I don't know if the kids will like it, but I'm excited. Do you think they will like it?
@ElicBxn (60894)
OMG!!! That's my theme song too! I don't know if the kids will like it, but I know YOU will!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yup, I did. The girls liked it, cary not so much.
I thought Cary might be your party pooper. It was good for his character development though, whether he knows it or not. Would you believe I pouted through a performance of the Ringling Brothers' Circus as a teen. Of course I had my reasons. 1) we only went because Mom was trying to impress dad's nephew who was staying with us. He really just wanted to meet girls and party, though. We never went anywhere cool like that otherwise. The other reason, the one I told mom, was that I did not want to be watching it, I wanted to be doing it. Never mind that I am uncoordinated and very serious, I would have liked to have been out there doing some of the routines.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
A little character development is good for any 12 year old boy!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
They certainly will. Remmeber that magical moment when the children in the audience are asked if they believe in fairies? Then they all shout YES! Well I still believe in fairies and I will never grow up. Never! So there!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Phew: That was close! Thank G*d Tinkerbell lives to see another day. I don't remember the 'clap' part as I remember yelling out that I believed in fairies
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I remember that too, but I guess they "upgraded" it.
@Lakota12 (42684)
MOst kids do
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
My son didn't like it so much, but the girls did.
@Lakota12 (42684)
thats good anddont worry that he didntlike it much to each his own
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
would have been nice if he had, but oh well
Take me, Take me!! I cannot speak for your kids, but it is something I would enjoy. I think it will be a good experience for them. My kids would have liked that.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
You would have enjoyed it more than Cary did. Oh well.
@missybear (11395)
I never sen it but I hope they like it...."I WON"T GROW UP EITHER"
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Never grow up, never grow up, never grow up, no sir!
@lilybug (21148)
I think they will like it. I have never seen it as a play, but I know when I was a kid I would have loved to go. I have never been to a play other than a school play. Anyway, I hope they have as much fun as you are going to have!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
(waves hypnotic metal thing in front of lilybug) GO to more plays. GO to more plays...
@jillhill (37383)
Hopefully....I think everyone loves peter pan don't they? I would be excited to go see it!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Cary not so much, but the girls liked it, and I loved it.
@wolfie34 (26792)
I am sure your kids will thoroughly enjoy it! Now I wonder who will enjoy it the most, you or the kids! No shame in being a big kid. I think everyone of us has a little 'Peter Pan' in us yearning to escape and have fun!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Clearly me. At the end when Peter flew over the audience, it was AWESOME!!!
@Jennlee3 (292)
Yes, I think Peter Pan is sort of the ultimate fantasy story for children. An alternate place where kids don't grow up and get to go on adventures with lots of fascinating types of people--(mermaids, pirates, etc.) I think it is magical and a really nice story with a good lesson for kids that we eventually all have to grow up and face responsibility but can always maintain that childlike innocence and sense of adventure they seem to naturally possess. I definitely think they will like it! It was one of my favourite books/movies as a child and I'm sure most children would feel the same!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Oz too...
@sid556 (31003)
I call Peter Pan cooler than Oz...just saying..it really is.
@Jennlee3 (292)
I agree. I've always preferred peter pan over oz!
@sid556 (31003)
Great. now I have that song stuck in my head. That was one of my favorite disney movies growing up and still is. I think your kids are going to love it! Have a great time! I'm jealous.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
"I won't grow up"... Dawn gets up and dances.
@sid556 (31003)
Glad to hear that. Just think of all the "mature" people in your life that you know. I respect them but geez...so boring. I had a boss that was not all that much older than me but I thought of her like my mom. A customer came in one day and was saying how young I seemed. Afterwards she told me that it wasn;t so much that I looked all that young for my age but that I acted it. Actually, I think she called me "immature"
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I think so too. At the end of the show, when Peter flew out over the audience, the little kid in me just opened her mouth wide and went "ahhhhh"....
@alberello (4755)
Well, even though I know very well the legend of Peter Pan, or the child who flies and who does not want to grow, I must say I have not seen this musical. Probably it was never broadcast in my country (Italy). However I have a friend who loves musicals, with him, if I can find this spectacle, certainly to me and to him, we'd like to see it. Speaking of "not wanting to grow", there is indeed a syndrome that affects some children. In fact, it is called "The Peter Pan syndrome."
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I'm sure you can find it somewhere online. For sure you can see clips on YouTube.
@sid556 (31003)
Some people refer to it as Gilligans syndrome also.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Never heard of that second one.
@Arieles (2474)
I enjoyed watching Cathy Rigby so long ago when she was a gymnast. Wow! Has it been that long already?! I know I would love to see Cathy Rigby. I haven't seen the musical, but Peter Pan is a fun movie that kids enjoy, so I'm betting they will love it! Hey! There's a little kid in all of us, and as long as we remember that, we will all be okay. We never really have to grow up.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
40 years since she was in the Olympics. Can you believe it?
@Arieles (2474)
Wow! That's just about the time I was watching gymnastics and getting interested in tumbling myself.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I never did any myself, but I love watching it.
@BarBaraPrz (21031)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
If they like musicals to begin with, then they probably will enjoy it. I know you will.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
The girls and I did. It was wasted on Cary.
@BarBaraPrz (21031)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Yeah, well, we kinda exxpected that, didn't we?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
pretty much
@ctryhnny (3463)
That's called the Peter Pan Syndrome when you say you won't grow up. I'm 65 years old and I've always said I"ll never grow up...and I won't! I think your kids will love it!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I"m with you. And 2 out of 3 did...
Some will, some won't. Kids are funny that way. I recall both Martin and Rigby in the roll. Its an age old tale and one that kids and adults alike enjoy. Have a good time and don't worry that not all the kids will enjoy it.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Sandy Duncan too
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
I am quite sure that the kids will thoroughly enjoy it, Peter Pan is the type of story that appeals to all children. I like the fact that you associate with the song "I Won't Grow Up". I do not know the song myself, but the title is fairly self explanatory. As you get older we have to accept the responsibilities of life and learn to provide for ourselves and our family, but that does not mean that we should abandon our inner child as well.
@Asylum (48223)
• Manchester, England
Since posting my original response I decided to try to listen to the song, which I found on Youtube by Mary Martin. I must admit that I do like the song and have been considering trying to get hold of a copy to use as a ringtone on my mobile phone.
I'm a kid myself and would like it so I don't see why they wouldn't