Books that are interesting but not especially well-written

@Porcospino (18396)
Denmark
I recently discovered a new author. His name is Torben Lange and he is a Danish author. Some of his stories are quite sad and he writes about realistic problems that some people face. The book that I am reading at the moment is about a man who is too ill to work, and book describes hís experiences and his thoughts. The story was written in the 1970's and I find it interesting to read about the society at that time because there are many differences between that time and today. I find the content of the book interesting, but the book is not especially well-written. I still intend to read some of his other books because I think that I can learn something from them and I can learn interesting things about the time when they were written. I love to read well-written books, those books are an inspiration to me when I write my own stories, but I also read books that are less well-written if I find the topic of the book very interesting. Is it important to you that a book is well-written? Or is it more important that you find the story interesting? Why? Would you abandon a book if it was poorly written but interesting?
Aw, your post have made me search for Torben Lange on Wikipedia and Goodreads but I guess his books are only in Dansk. My favorite authors are those whose writing style I like, I think the way they express themselves is compatible with the voice in my head as I read. I can't really describe it better. But I don't necessarily like all their stories. But some favorite books of mine I found so hard to read but am completely satisfied at the end or learn so much from. There are also some that a lot of people would find well written or interesting but I did not appreciate as much.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
Unfortunately it is quite hard to find Danish authors who have been translated to English. Some of the famous authors have been translated, but Torben Lange is not that famous and I guess that it is reason why it is hard to find English information about him or books that have been translated to English I agree with the last thing that you wrote. Some books are very popular and many people like them, but that doesn't always mean that everyone is going to appreciate them. I felt that way about "The dandelion clock" by Guy Burt. So many people think that it is his best book, but I was very disappointed in the book.
@AdalieM (1135)
It would not bother me if the books were poorly written. I am no expert when it comes to grammar and I don't know squat about proper writing techniques. However, I have read some bad books out there that are not only poorly written, but its messages are foolish and simplistic. If the book is interesting I would not put it away even if it's poorly written, is not like I am Stephen King. I know he hates bad writes big time Give a good story and I am hooked.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
Sometimes I do the same thing. If a book is really interesting I will read it even if it is poorly written, but the story has to be really interesting before I decide to do that. I remember one book that I read. The story was really interesting but the author didn't use any punctuation at all, and he didn't divide the books in the chapters either, and that made it really hard to read the book. I didn't know where one sentence ended and the next one started, and that was frustrating sometimes. I only continued because the story was so interesting
Personally I define well-written as there was nothing in story structure, sentence construction, continuity, grammar, spelling, or punctuation that distracted me from the story. I typically don't see any sort of grammar or spelling errors in mass-published works, only in self-published and small press books, but I have seen continuity errors and the like. Most of the time, the books I enjoy I consider well-written. I've read one self-published novel with a shaky beginning and constant spelling and grammar errors that I enjoyed anyway, but I think that's because it had a strong story structure and a main character I was absolutely in love with. Other than that, there's this middle-grade book series that I get total kick out of reading, but I think it's constructed sort of poorly. As in, characters seem to make the same stunning revelation twice (I think I'd classify that as a continuity error).
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
Grammar mistakes or mistakes in the sentence construction usually annoy me because I find it hard to focus on the story if there are many mistakes in the story. Translation mistakes are also very common in my country because a lot of books are translated from English to Danish. Sometimes they translate they English expressions word by word instead of translating the meaning of the expression That also makes it hard for me to focus on the story, but I have read some poorly written books that I sort of enjoyed because the topic of the story was very interesting and I liked the main character. The book that I am reading at the moment is not that well-written and the author isn't considered one of the best authors of my country, but I like the topic that he describes in his stories.
I don't mind reading books that are not so well-written. Then, you could really differentiate and appreciate the well-written ones right? I also try reading what others read, but I wouldn't necessarily agree with their opinion about it. For instance, I finished all three books of Fifty Shades (Grey, Darker, Freed) and so many people find the book really good, but the first two pages disappointed me and I didn't like it. Not liking a book is not necessarily good enough reason for me to not read it since I can still learn or enjoy it.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
The books that are less well-written makes us appreciate the well-written books more, that is true. The book that I am reading at the moment is not that well-written, but I like the topics that the author writes about and that is the main reason why I read his books. I don't know the three books of the Fifty Shades. I have heard about them, but I haven't read any of them. Sometimes I think it is interesting to read the books that other people have read because that gives me the chance to compare my opinion of the books with the things I have read or heard. Sometimes I disagree with the things I have heard, but it is still interesting read the books.
I like reading books, the books must meet two requirements, well-written and interesting, I think a good book can let us think about life.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
Yes, the best books are the ones that are interesting and well-written as well and some authors are able to combine both aspects I am a´writer myself and I really like to read a well-written book, and I find it inspiring to read that kind of books. There is one particular Danish author that I admire so much because of her writing style and it is always a pleasure to read her books. The book that I am reading at the moment is not that well-written, but the story is interesting so I still read it.