Heidi, the climbing kitten!

@ElicBxn (60052)
As you may remember, I've been putting screen doors on rooms to keep the cats out of, with moderate success. However, some of the cats view these as new exercise options. Both Flower and Blossom, the black and white sisters will climb up to the top of the protective heavy screening on some of the doors. Heidi, who got her name because she climbed right up one of the screen doors when she got here, did it again today. The roomie and I were in the guest room because we were going to go meet her nephew and family and she had picked up a special gift for her great nephew, she wanted to wrap one of the "new" books we got last night at Goodwill so the great niece wouldn't feel left out. And we heard the sound of climbing. Turning I discovered that Heidi was about 6 feet up on the screen door, this is well above the heavy screening! We got her down pretty quickly, but we have to watch to make sure she doesn't ruin the screens because that would then ruin the protection the doors give the rooms from the brats. So far, Oliver has only figured out how to get into the roomie's bedroom, but when he gets in at night, he has to "brag" about it waking her up! Rygel has scared himself a few times and pushed into the front room, but its not a common occurrence. In fact, cats "tailgating" D, the totally blind roommate, is how most of the cats get into rooms they don't belong in. Now I'm considering a screen door to keep them out of the hallway, they are very bad cats!
HaHa, what a bunch of little brats you have there, lol! Cats are just so darn smart and it's very hard to outwit them, the little buggers. I know they have those rubber type things you can put on the nails so they don't damage things. I've never saw them but heard of them. Would those help?
@ElicBxn (60052)
with 25 cats? I'm sure that if I had fewer they would do something, as it is, even trimming nails doesn't help much more than to prevent a few scratches - like when Nef poked the roomie yesterday...
Oh, I didn't realize you had that many cats! I thought maybe around 8-10 or so...wow, that IS a lot! Just buy a bunch of mini corks, hahaha!..just kidding of course. I wonder what you could do to prevent them from climbing up...I'll have to think really hard on this one. What if you got one of those grates they use on doors? You could probably screw it right into the metal or wood.
@ElicBxn (60052)
We have those on the lower part of the doors, but we tried with one on the top of the door without as much success...
@winterose (39931)
have you squirted water on them when they are misbehaving, they have to be trained. I have to do that with my rugby now he just sees the water bottle and he stops. He is learning.
@ElicBxn (60052)
We actually do that, Booboo sees the water bottle and walks away from the outside door. Daisy hunches down and backs up - brat. We've sprayed Oliver and sprayed him, but it only works while its hitting him. So far, the kitten is pretty bulletproof... she walked through a bowl of water and just shook it off as she walked calmly away.
@winterose (39931)
that is one brave little pussycat
If when you rebuild-replace your screen doors, replace the screen with chicken wire. Chicken wire is cat claw proof and brats won't be able to break in where they shouldn't. Many people use chicken wire to make outdoor cat runs for their felines to whom they want to give the outdoors safely. The door part itself can be made of wood or aluminum. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/catproof-screen-door-update-148079
@ElicBxn (60052)
Yeah... I've heard chicken wire, but I don't like the stuff. I have wire mesh for my cat porch and a grill that is cat proof for the lower part of the doors, Heidi is the only one who climbs above it, tho Blossom climbs the grill, she doesn't go higher.
You got some crazy cats going on over there my friend. Maybe try to look for another way to keep them from doing the things you do not want them to do. I know, just, you know, you gotta find some other way I know there is one just around you just have to search for it or make it pop out of your head, make sure it'll be a great idea. Goodluck.
@ElicBxn (60052)
I do have some crazy cats... but I'm lucky that I really don't have any mean cats... the only one that might be considered "mean" is our feral boy, Elmer, and he's too afraid to do anything to us humans, he does bully some of the more timid other cats.
@eagletrek2 (4971)
• Kingston, New York
Hi Cat are very smart when mine was alive. she was a indoor cat,in florida most of the pool are screen in pools, my cat which was decalw got the street cats to make a whole in the screen so she can get out,I awlay got her to come back but every time I fix the screen she got a street cat to make a whole again. my former land lady had a house that was over 299 years old,her cat knew how to open all the doors in the house the doors did not have knobs,this stone house was build around tom jefferson time. that why I like cats,they play dumb when they are planing some thing.ok have a good new year.
@ElicBxn (60052)
I've had some really smart cats, Rygel is my current smart cat. I've also had some very stupid cats, Scamp probably won the prize for stupidity, but I loved him dearly anyway. I have lever door knobs on almost all my doors, but the few that were getting opened that were a problem, we had to replace. I have a lever "knob" on top of my TV that I want to put on a door, but haven't gotten around to it... I've actually replaced every knob in the house at least once, some many more times than that!
we only have one that does that..it seems there always IS one.. but we have a screen door inside the house,we use that room to accustomize "new arrivals"..they can peek in and out in safety at their siblings-to-be. but at any rate,she'd decided to climb it to get a higher vantage. since being released into the general population,she still does it occasionally.
@ElicBxn (60052)
This is the first to actually scale that high, but she's also probably the only one light enough to not do too much damage to the screen... maybe Flower, but she's more of a jumper than a climber. Flower, and her sister Blossom, do climb up to the top of the heavy screen, but not above that.
@dragon54u (31298)
That's funny! Cats are so creative that way, we should take a lesson from them--when they see an obstacle, they turn it into something positive, usually something that gives them the fun of playing. I'm going to try to think of Heidi the next time I come up against a problem!
@ElicBxn (60052)
I hadn't thought of that - I'll try to think of obstacle as opportunities to play now...
@Lakota12 (42794)
lol smart cats adn yes they are bad cats
@ElicBxn (60052)
These brats are so bad, and then they turn around and love on you so sweetly...
Oh, they are very smart cats... My cats are quite smart, too. They work hard to make sure that we arrange things to their liking.
@ElicBxn (60052)
They try, but they are so bad that we have to come up with ways to defeat them!
@BarBaraPrz (17348)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Harmony managed to completely destroy the screen in the front door, and it was the metal kind! She's also shredded the screen on the dining room window, but that one's some sort of plastic. She's gotten stuck in that one. Since I no longer have a screen door on the kitchen door, I just kept the regular door ajar all summer so she could come in and out at her leisure. Let in a lot of flies, too, but c'est la vie.
@ElicBxn (60052)
Mandy, when he was alive, did a number on several screens, he was quite the guy! Mandy was my first semi-feral house cat!