mini bar in hotels

I was staying in a hotel a few nights ago and checked out the prices for the items in the mini bar. $4 for a can of pop, $5 for a chocolate bar. I think this is crazy. I would never pay those prices. have you ever purchased things from a mini bar in your hotel room?
And I was complaining about the cost of the mini bar at the Delta! LOL $4 for a 750ml bottle of Perrier. I picked it up, thinking it came with the room, and saw a little card behind it, I picked up the card, read the price for the drink, and put it back down again. LOL For that money, I turned on the tap, filled my glass, and drank free water. LOL
that's what i do as well. they leave cups so i drink tap water. just as good for free.
I will order "tap water" in restaurants. I hate it when I say "I'd like a glass of water please," and they say "you mean a BOTTLE?" To which I say "No! If I had meant that, I would have said so!"
@subhojit10 (7382)
Thanks a ton for sharing this discussion. Well yes u are absolutely right, i think the prices charged are too much and if it is a four or five star hotel then they will charge such items at higher prices but i think prices should be charged in such a way that the guests can avail all the facilities properly without any regrets or complaints. What say?
Ya it's one of those situations where they would probably make more money if they charged just a little over what they bought it for. more people would buy it at a reasonable cost, therefore more would sell then for a larger profit in the long run. rather than things just sitting there for ever because no one wants to buy due to the high costs. didn't take much for us to walk a block to get cheaper drinks.
@maximax8 (28559)
I am very keen on traveling to different countries. On my last trip some of the accommodations had a mini bar type of fridge. I went to the supermarket and added my own drinks. I drank and so did my kids only those drinks. I would never pay mini bar prices as they are way too pricey. It was funny in Singapore. One traveler on his way to Australia thought wow the kind hotel have given me all these drinks and food. He drank and ate all the drinks and food. He couldn't believe his check out bill. Also trains can have a trolley with pricey food and drinks. It is best to always bring supermarket bought drinks and food. Snacks are small and easy to pack in my day's luggage. I even bring my own snacks on a plane due to being vegan. Some airlines have awful food and I go on long haul flights. A short hop sort of airline has a pricey snack trolley again. In a town in Colombia I had trouble finding a big supermarket that sold soya drinks. I got a taxi up to the largest supermarket. Getting a taxi back from there was a nightmare because the driver got lost. I kept saying in Spanish the center of Santa Marta and the beach. That is where our accommodation was. I ended up fainting whilst in a village near there due to my lack of food.