Family Tradition

@missybear (11396)
As some of you know I'm from Germany and we always had 1 Family Tradition and that was "HAVING HOT DOGS AND POTATO SALAD" on Christmas eve, every since I was a kid my mom made it and now she's in her 70ties and still has Hot dogs and Potato salad on Christmas eve. I try to keep up the tradition but being in America for over 27 years now I sometimes forget. Do you have a Family Tradition that you trying to keep alive?
@RitterSport (2452)
• Lippstadt, Germany
hi dear missybear, unfortunately it was not Potato Salad and Hot Dogs in my family but pan fried Carp which I hated and still hate with a passion. But our dessert for Christmas Eve was a sweet dish made with poppy seed mixture (prepared as if you want to make a cake with it) and layered with raisin bun briefly drizzled with warm milk. You got to make this in the morning then put into the fridge to be set till the evening. Yuuuummyyyyyyyyy. I made this for quite a number of years but as I am diabetic its a forbidden delicacy now........ I miss it soooo much.
@missybear (11396)
I don't think i ever had that dish, it sounds yummy though. I think I'm gonna bake a cake today
• Lippstadt, Germany
This dish originated in Silesia (which is in Poland now)where my maternal family comes from so its passed down the generations and I was the last one to keep and fix it. Cake sounds great, which do you want to bake?
@missybear (11396)
It was a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, it's yummy
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
Oh you poor thing. My mother-in-law makes Rouladen, Rotkohl and Kloese for Christmas eve. But seriously, hot dogs? Or some kind of wurst that's similar to hotdogs? And what, no sauerkraut? My parents did turkey on Thanksgiving and Christmas, a recipe that my dad found when I was little. You put this mustard paste on the outside of the turkey and baste it with apple cider. It makes for an awesome turkey, but if you're a skin person, sorry the skin ends up pretty black.
@missybear (11396)
OMG, Rouladen und Rotkraut und Klöße, that's one of my favorite German meals,#1 is Wienerschnitzel mit Rotkraut und Kartoffelbrei.....Yum Yum
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I prefer the Jaegerschnitzel myself....
@missybear (11396)
That's #3 on the list
@jenny1015 (13389)
During Christmas, the only family tradition that we really have is that we would all be together on that time and kids open up their present at the stroke of midninght. I am married for the past 18 years, and I have never spent a Christmas away from home. My sister, too, who have just married almost 2 years ago, have joined us during Christmas Eve. Sadly, during New Year's Eve, me, my husband and kids would be with my in laws. And that goes with my sister in law and her husband. My mom and dad together with my 75 year old nanny are left at home to celebrate New Year.
@missybear (11396)
It's really great that you get together with family during the Holidays, I miss my parents always but especially during the Holidays season
@jenny1015 (13389)
Why weren't you with your family during the holidays? I am sure they'd be more than happy to be with you as well.
@Arieles (2474)
We use to open all of our gifts on Christmas Eve and that's exactly what we are going to do next year. I also want to make sure all the kids and grand kids get some new pajamas to wear on Christmas morning. I want to reintroduce these traditions to my family because they hold special memories for me when I was a kid and I want to recreate those memories and give my kids a tradition to pass onto their own kids.
@missybear (11396)
That's sweet and who doesn't love jammies
@Arieles (2474)
Thank you Missybear. I know I love nice cozy pj's on Christmas morning.
@asliah (11149)
hi, every culture have different family tradition,like here in my country,most of them have a get together in one family because for them a complete family during this holiday is good,and even in my family,having a great time this Christmas will make our relationship to each other will bind us more stronger.
@missybear (11396)
It's always nice when you can spend the Holidays with family
Unfortunately because of the fact that so many of the older members of our family have passed away, there are a lot of family traditions that we had when I was a child that have fallen by the wayside. However, there is something that we did when I was younger that I am now trying to pass on to my children. That is the fact that when I was growing up I had the opportunity to be very close to my cousins and now I am doing that with my children. Of course it is easier for me than it was for my parents because we all live in the same city and my children actually only have three first cousins so far.
@missybear (11396)
I miss having my family around, everybody is in Germany and I'm here. At least I get a visit from somebody every year but still that's not nearly enough.
@MsTickle (24962)
I've tried but living alone and trying to maintain a family tradition with just one person is a bit difficult. Then too, Mum's been gone over 11 years now and the first anniversary of Dad's passing is coming up and that just makes me feel the loss of family and traditions even more. I think I'd rather bury the past.
@missybear (11396)
@JenInTN (27565)
My tradition is togetherness on Christmas. I know that sounds easy but now that two of my children are grown and one is a teen, it is not as easy as it sounds..LOL. I have, so far, accomplished this and the present thing has taken on a new light since the birth of my grand daughter. It was her first Christmas and she had more fun tearing the paper than anything else..LOL. I even let her tear some of mine.
@missybear (11396)
LOL, that's awesome all of you together. I miss having family together on the Holidays
Hi friend, good to hear about your family tradition. Since we are from different part of the world and countries, we are having our own culture and tradition. We celebrate various function and festival in our country and have traditional stories for them. The function celebrations are vary from family to family. As some families have their unique celebrating ways and follow them in a good manner even though they are living far away from their family members. In this modern days, most of us are in need to stay away from our family members due to various reasons like Job, education, Marriage and so on. However we don't forget about the festivals and function and celebrate them in a traditional way. Some persons may forget to celebrate some of the function due to various reasons, but they don't forget to call their friends and family members on the festival day and convey their wishes to them. I am from India. Diwali is one of the great festival in our place and our family members celebrate it in an unique way based on our family tradition. Last year my brother is not in our place as he went to abroad due to his job and don't have the ability to celebrate the function. However we celebrated it in a good manner and he contacted us during the celebration time and watched our enjoyment via web camera. This kind of technology is very much useful to keep our beloved persons in one place, even though they are far away from us. My wife learned the celebration method from my mother and this year we planned to celebrate this function in our house, as my wife know the traditional method now and we will celebrate the function in the traditional way. This kind of family tradition and celebrating methods will stay with us forever.
@missybear (11396)
I think that's so wonderful, even you are apart from some of your family members you still get together for family traditions, even if it's from abroad.
@namiya (1599)
We prepare food preferred by most members of the family but we always have ham, salad and noodles that we eat on evening of Christmas eve and attend mass either on Christmas eve or on Christmas day.
@missybear (11396)
Sounds yummy
@jillhill (37384)
I know this sounds stupid but I made aprons for all the girls many many years ago....we still wear them and get out pictures taken in them! I personalized them so everyone nick name is on them.....silly aren't we?
@missybear (11396)
Sound really fun to me
We Filipino had have these tradition of Noche Buena during Christmas eve. We attend midnight mass together with our family and we share foods with our neighbors. Exchange gifts and all night telling stories with our relatives.
@missybear (11396)
That's almost like a Mexican tradition that a co worker of mine told me about, were they go to the neighbors house and share food and music for 7 days. A different neighbor every day
@edvc77 (2143)
Thanks for sharing your family tradition. We don't really have traditions on food during christmas but usually we have ham and queso de bola. Every year we have those foods on christmas eve. :-)
@missybear (11396)
It's not only about food traditions, that's just the only one that we have so if you have any others share
@dandan07 (1908)
Here in my family, having fish and pig legs are the tradtion for the Spring Festival. It is said that the fish means rich, while pig leg means money. But the difference is the way of prepare dishes. Usually Chinese use the fish for soup, some family just keep the fresh fish during the Spring Festival Eve, but in my family, the fish is prepared by dry methods, the fish's delicious has been concentrated into the fish body.
@missybear (11396)
Wow, it's very interesting hearing about different traditions for different cultures, Thanks for sharing