We made up our minds.

We are moving to mary land. that is 5 hours from where i live now. I have to save up the closest to $200 I can get. and he is doing the rest. He is driving our stuff so we are not paying for a moving truck. My boss goes there during the week because she hs a beauty shop there. so,she will get me all the info on the good neighborhoods. We are both going there to rent a hotel room. check out doctors and insurance companies and stores and more. He will be going to the sec 8 office to go on my lease when I put in for my transfer. I told my mother and she was fine with it. I am waiting on my sister to call me back so I can tell her. When I told my boss she said,you need to put some distance between you and kay's mess. and I was glad to hear that. I don't plan on calling her so she will find out later on. I am getting a fire box from walmart. I am putting my money in it and giving the key to my sister in law. that way I don't touch it and she will not give it to me. I can trust her with my life. is there anything I am missing? I know I have to find a social security office there too. thanks everyone.. now is there anyone here in maryland who knows good areas? thanks
I hope you don't have to live long in a motel or hotel. That gets old. I did it when I was with a loser boyfriend who did nothing but lie to me. I gave up my rented home to go with the boyfriend. I would never give up home base again. I lost my own 4 bedroom home my dad built after my divorce. Another man was in my life and I was giving him money NOT to cut me up into pieces. It took 9 months to get that bast*^d out of my life. Battered women's syndrome is real. It can be almost impossible to reclaim your life. Is it any wonder I swore off on men? Just be happy.
I have more stuff that I am dealing with on this move. I will call you one day to get into all that. I am looking at one and two bedrooms and so many houses are beautiful. I am moving no matter what happens and I am going to stop shopping and save my money. Adrain is going to have more money saved then me. he said we could drive there and look around different neighborhoods. we don't want to move from one bad area to another.
@LaDeBoheme (1961)
Where in MD? I often work there.
I will be going to different areas when it is closer to me moving. right now I am just checking what is offered in all areas.
Yes, it definitely would be a good idea to do some research and have some kind of plan or idea on what area before you actually make the move to MD. It might look like a little state on the map, but there is a lot of area to cover. You shouldn't have to worry about sticker shock since MD and NY run just about neck and neck in cost of living (both are in the top 10 most expensive). Be aware though that some counties like Montgomery and Howard have some of the highest housing costs in the country.
Thanks for the help. I am going to keep doing as much work as I can before I move. I also have sec 8 so that will help with the rent. all the places I looked at are on the sec 8 website.
@AJ1952Chats (2339)
• Anderson, Indiana
Have you ever heard of a place called Kent Island? I believe that the largest city it's close to is Annapolis. Anyway, several cousins live there out in the country from a community called Stevensville. I'm not sure what the economy is around there, but I know that (at least, the last time I visited there) it's a kind of peaceful place. My second cousin, Anne, who would be familiar with the area in spite of now living with one of her daughters and her family in Virginia, so I'm going to send a copy of this to her. If she doesn't feel computer savvy enough to join here, I believe that her kids/grandkids/great-grandkids might be interested. When Anne and her late husband, Don, were younger and raising their four kids, they lived in a very unusual home that is probably close to 400 years old. I believe that one of their grandkids and her family live in it now. As soon as I finish responding here, I'm going to send a link to Anne.
I hope they like it and I would like to see another part of the world soon.. thanks for the response.
• Anderson, Indiana
I have bad news about Kent Island--and the state of Maryland in general. Anne sent me an email and said that Kent Island had gone from being the sleepy, little place with the low price tag that it once was back when she and Don were raising their family and living there to a place where it had gotten too expensive to live unless you were loaded. She told me that they had paid an annual property tax of around $500 per year, but that, now, property taxes had risen to $10,000 per year. She even questioned moving to Maryland at this time, thanks to how expensive it was to live in that state. Is there any special reason for moving to Maryland? Could another state work just as well? Anne now lives in a Granny apartment that is part of a house belonging to her youngest daughter and her family, and that is in Virginia. Perhaps, Virginia might be a better choice. Or another state altogether...
@mariaperalta (19097)
• Mexico
sounds good to me.. go online there alot of apt, web sites all around the usa. Im sure maryland is there. Will also tell you which one take section 8..
I am on gosection8.com and they are great places.
• Mexico
good deal, hope you find a really neat place, let us know. Im excited for you...
@winterose (39932)
finding a place to live before you get there will make it a lot easier. Where are you moving to in Maryland, what city or town? Make sure you get you pension all fixed up there and to know how much you will get it can be very different in each state.
we are most likey going to be reduced and that we know. I will check that after I find the name of the town we are moving to.
Goodluck with your choice of changing residencies. I have tried to move to another place. Well I am not from America but I can relate based from my past experience. There you go. Goodluck my friend.
I wish you luck as well. take care and welcome to mylot.
@MoonGypsy (4615)
i think maryland is a good choice for you. it won't be too much of a culture shock. i have been to maryland, it's not that bad. nice neighborhoods you will like it there.
thanks so much I am hoping to love it there enough to stay for years to come.
As I mentioned on one of your other posts, Frederick is nice. It is a decent-sized area, if you are still looking to be in a city. You would have access to shopping and good restaurants. There is a nice little co-op there--The Common Market--that I used to go to some years ago. You would be convenient to D.C. as well as Baltimore. You would also be within reasonable driving distance of Gettysburg--if you're into history or have a thing for ghost tours. Half-an-hour from Frederick is Hagerstown, which has the Prime Outlets and The House of Kobe--an awesome (as of last time I checked) Japanese restaurant.
I am going to check this out in a few months. I mostly saw baltimore rentals today. I like the fact you know something to get me started. thanks.
Is there a way that you can start the process of getting approved for Section 8 housing in Maryland before you actually move there? The reason that I ask this is because if you are able to do it that way, it would be something that would save you a lot of money in the long run. As far as areas to live in go, I really don't know anything about Maryland so I can't help you with finding an area that you might be interested in living in. I do certainly hope that everything about the move that you are planning ends up being something that will go smoothly for you.
@sishy7 (24693)
I used to live in Bethesda, MD. But this was back in the early '80s so I'm sure it's changed. I loved it there, though; it's a suburb in Montgomery County yet close enough to DC and Virginia. All the best with you relocation.