Do you think sharing a home means sharing a credit card?

Adrain wants me to add him to my credit card. I don't want to do this at all and so I have not mentioned it since he asked me to get him on the account. I got one card for me and one for my daughter and when she refused to repay her items I canceled her card. I don't want to share credit cards.
I don{t think that sharing a home (or a bed) means sharing a credit card. There are some things that are private. I remember that once I helped out some friends having them living at my house for just the cost of the extras in the bills. But I said immediatly that PC meant personal computer and I wasn´t lending it (they had theirs). I had problems with them because my frien´s husband crossed the boundaries. I told him that I had been married for 40 years, gave my husband millions of french kisses but did NOT allow hin to use my toothbrush. You knoe what I mean! Some things you want to have the management in your hands.
I am so with you on this one.. I would not ever want to share a credit card with him. him and his ex ruined their last account and still neither paid on it.
Some things are made to share and some aren´t. I would not change this belief for any human being.
I would hope I can get him to understand this because I would rather give up the card before share the account.
No, you shouldn't add him to your card. You've already said that you don't like how he manages (or doesn't) money, so it goes without saying that adding him to your credit card would not be a positive thing. I'm not a fan of credit cards in general. I think that paying cash (or using debit card or check) is the best way to do things. However, I recognize that there are times when a credit card is useful or even necessary due to how this society has become structured. That said, if there is some reason he needs a credit card to be used, he can either use his own or ask you to use yours on his behalf. Then, you maintain control over how much debt you incur via your card.
I hope he can understand this because he is not god with bills like I am. it never fails they call about the cable every month because that is his bill. I pay everything on time or before time.
If he wants to share a life with you, it's just something that he's going to have to understand. He's been with you long enough that this shouldn't come as a shock to him that you have a different approach to money than he does and that, as such, you want to keep some things separate.
I am going to keep it like it is because I am not ready for this. not even marriage could make me share my credit card.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
i don't blame you at all for not wanting to go into something that big with someone. why take that risk and your are not even married. if you were married, it would be forced on you. enjoy the benefits of being single and having your own stuff. that way, he can't mess up your credit.
he feels like we should share everything but,I am not sharing my credit card.
I was married for 40 years and I never shared a Bank account or a credit card. If I recieved a letter, the enveloppe was supposed to be opened by me. I don´t understand why some people think that marriage means a sort of slavery
@shiesse (308)
I don't think that living together entitles anyone to have access to your credit. I have a credit card with my bank, and while I am married my husband does not have access to my credit card. He has his own credit and is not as good as mine therefor does not get the same credit as I do. I worked to get the credit I have and I shouldn't have to risk it for anyone even if we live together.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
i hate to break it to you, shiesse. you are married and his credit is your credit (and vice versa). that is the pitfalls of marriage that most people who decided not to get married try to avoid.
I make my payments before time and would not risk my credit for anyone. I sure hope he forgot about it.
I know you two have been togeather for some time. However, I don't feel unless you are married that you need to put him on any of your financial accounts. And I've known people to keep seperate accounts though they are married as well.
Exactly! I would not put anyone on my card because then I would be responsible for their purchases.
@ksktika (271)
seems like you have a big problem with your daughter. I think you need to be strictly to your daughter, because she has to learn how to appreciate her parents. If i were you, i will do the same thing like you, cancelled her card immediately.
Good moved, Our financial capability is sometimes unstable and with your accounts only you find it hard to pay and how more your extension. Nice if she pay for what she owed on that credit card you shared with her. When you have a credit card in your hand, even without cash you tempt to buy goods not of real necessity, specially to younger people like your daughter. Sharing a card to your daughter is of much risk for you lost a bit of your authority in guiding her the best of what money can buy.
@pals101 (2011)
Well, it maybe good to share.. as long as the other one don't abuse the use of it. But still the best way is to have separate cards, so you can manage it properly..
@911Ricki (13602)
No, it doesn't. My brother and his ex had this issue, oh did I forget to mention 6 years after there relationship my brother is sitll in debt from it. They had a shared bank account and credit card. His ex charged it up, they broke up and my brother was stuck with it (because it was based in his name, and her name was added). I would never in my life share my bank account or credit card. I am not comfortable doing that, I am not screwing my credit up for anyone either. You sign his name over, his credit goes with it (I don't know how it is but just saying that). My sister and her boyfriend just got a credit card, her boyfriend credit cropped drastically because my sisters horrible credit.
I don't have the best credit but I know since having my credit card my score went up. plus,I paid off so much stuff on my report and they cleared it all up for me. I can't do this and with this treatment with my daughter I really can't rick it.
@911Ricki (13602)
You don't need something else to worry about, I can see him if he found out your daughter was on it, he would try to control it.
No - you are still an individual and if you are not comfortable with doing this he should respect that. Just because you are together does not mean you have to share credit, or even have joint bank accounts. Regardless of whether he is trustworthy or not, this is not really the issue in my opinion - the point is if you are unhappy with it and really don't want to do it, you have every right to say no. You are not hurting anyone by asking your own rights to be respected and if they have a problem with it then it is just that - their problem! PoetMouse
THat is not going to be a problem because I will not be adding anyone to my card ever.
@suspenseful (40316)
He should get his own credit card. Even if it is a secured credit card, it is better then sharing one with you. Even if Adrian is a good risk, the fact that the economy is quite bad, means that he might lose his job. Also if something happens to either him or you, the change back to a single credit card is quite cumbersome. I know that there was quite a bit of trouble with our shared credit card after my husband passed.
I already realized this can't ever happen so if the issue is pushed I will just say no over and over again.
@mariaperalta (19094)
• Mexico
well. living together doesnt mean 50% of everything is his. But.. you always say hes your man.. so maybe you need to marry him now. But if you cant trust him with your cc, can you fully trust in every other way?
I guess if you put it like that he would have to get a credit card. but,since I know I am not on his credit yet. I don't think he should be on mine yet. I think everything comes in it's own time.
Smart woman Gifts! I would not share a card with anyone if it means u will have to pay their debts. He likes to spend too much and doesn't seem very responsible with money. Nope! Don't share. Ket him get his own and be responsible for it. He could ruin your credit quickly without you even knowing it. I let my daughter use mine only because she buys for me...like groceries and my meds. I don't always get out. I have her on mine because she will have access if I die. She is very responsible with my card.
Just because you share a house, or are even married as my husband and I are, does not mean you should share a credit card. If one partner is better with money than the other partner, the one who is poor with money could really screwup the other person's credit rating. Just tell Adrian that your credit is yours alone, and that you'll know if it stays yours, that any problems with it will be your fault, and no one else's. I would refuse to put anyone on my credit card!
@asliah (11148)
hi, for me of course not,sharing home doesn't mean that we still need to share a credit cards,like on what happened to you,you don't have such control if someone use your card without notice from that person,and you will only get shock when the bill is there.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
Hey I think that would be a big mistake...remember you are always the one who provides food when you are out, you are the one who provides gas for his car is empty , you are the one putting money in his his drawer just because... He may love you but he is certainly not reliable with money...Don't fool yourself into a false sense of security....
@ShyBear88 (17538)
I think that is pretty wise of you. Me and my husband didn't share till the end of this year getting a credit card together. But we talk about it before head to make sure we where on the same page for what it was used for.
@911Ricki (13602)
• Marikina, Philippines
No. Not all the time. It depends on partner I guess. My mom and dad have credit card, but he's the one who pays the bills even my mom.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
If it makes you uncomfortable, just say no.