Are you gonna do your own tax this year?

For all the members who live in the U.S.A, are you gonna do your own tax return this year, or you rather let those certified CPA do it for you? A co - worker strongly encourage me to do it on my own since I am still single, and my tax shouldn't be that complicated. I found out this software on Apple store, the turbo tax 2013, it is free for download on the basic version. From the instruction, you simply take a snap shot of your W -2 form, and answer a few questions this software gonna ask you. Then it will give you the result whether you got some money back, or you have to pay back to the government. Quite simple isn't it? I haven't done anything yet. I am still debating whether I would use this software or let the CPA do it for me. If you have an iPhone, or iPad, or a macbook computer, you can download it for free to do some tax on your own. If you need a more complicated version of it. you might need to pay extra like the Delux version of it. Hope you guys all got some money back from the previous year.
@sulynsi (2837)
I always do my own taxes, and usually my family's and the odd friend I'm in Canada, so I don't know which program you'd use in the States However, the Canada Revenue Agency recommends a number that you can download directly from their site, the one I use is completely free of charge I don't know what the internal Revenue Service offers, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is similar
@eagletrek2 (5270)
• Kingston, New York
I use to enjoy doing my own taxes, but with a part time business now and looking at the instruction I rally need help this year and I do not have money to pay a CPA
@LovelyxOdd (1201)
I do the taxes my husband. I like doing them and it saves us money.
@Mavic123456 (12625)
• Thailand
i never had a chance to file my income tax. It was automatically deducted to my income so I have no problem with it. This is so because I have fix income and everything that has been deducted are deducted already. so monthly we were taken a certain amount for tax. So we don't or I don't expect any refund. LOL. never had I received a refund.
@KrauseHome (35522)
Well since we own a home, and I have my online/offline businesses that I do ... I have to use a form more thanjust the basic version. I have a lot of deductions that usually helps make the refund bigger, and I do do them myself for my husband and I. Eventually we will probably have to get someone else to help us, but until that time, I will continue to do this for myself.
@bobmnu (8160)
I tried to do my taxes and have found with my situation it is better to have someone who knows the tax laws to prepare my taxes. It is to difficult for me to understand the different deductions and what to claim. I pay someone else to do that.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I did my own taxes till I owned my own home. Then it got a bit more complicated so I would have a CPA do it for me. You can also use Turbo Tax.com or Tax Act.com online. The TAXACT.com charges $14.95 for the state return and the Federal is free. My daughter who is married with two kids but does not own her own home filed on Taxact.com and it was all done within an hour. Good luck in your decision.
@shiesse (308)
I am in Canada, and we have turbo tax here as well. I do my own taxes even though I could have a company do it for me. I use Turbo Tax but there are other programs that do the same. I like turbo tax because it is the simplest and my bank encourages them as well. I always get money back at tax time. I love doing my taxes!
@ShyBear88 (17615)
We are using a company to do our taxes because yes it is quicker and we get our money faster then you do by doing it at home. With two kids it can be easier having someone else do it for us. My husband worries if we do it at home we will mess up which can happen if you forget something or don't read closely enough.
@Dominique25 (9475)
We usually do our own taxes. This year though we are going to have someone else do them. My husband just bought a small business with an account,van,equipment,etc. So it would be best if someone else did them for us to make sure everything is right. I too hope that we will get some money back this year.