Mylot Friends - A Tool To Find What You're Looking For?

@sulynsi (2805)
I've noticed over the years that I find really interesting discussions quite by accident. I wonder, when I read a particularly interesting post, "why haven't I seen this person before?" Then I notice that they comment a lot, but they don't necessarily start a lot of discussions and can be hard to find, unless, like I mentioned, you kind of just stumble over them. So, I'm trying to "stumble" over these gems, but once the discussion is a few days old and stuff gets piled on top of it, its hard to find them again I tried putting certain categories in my interests, but I notice that there is such a wide range of possible categories, I'm still left rooting around in the lot. So, I'm wondering if I have been overlooking a tool that will help me keep better track of the intesting discussions, by keeping tabs on the people that appear in them. I have only ever rarely used the "friend request" button, and if I recall correctly, maybe only once, and that request went unanswered. I figured that they didn't want me so I just rescinded the request, so as not to cause offence. I think, by and large, most will accept a friend request,(as long as you are not attempting to lure them into some pyramid scam, which I am not) So, if you get a request from me, its because I enjoyed your comments somewhere around the lot, and am looking to read more. Not because I want to hound or pester you. I'm gonna give it a whirl! Hopefully, it will make the search for intelligent life out there so much easier!!
@echoforever (5192)
I think I know what you mean, I've had the same query at times. Especially some members who are around but not as popular, they're good people but you just don't see them enough in the site. Also teh discussions will be buried. I would suggest the search tool of course... but sometimes that's not always what you're looking for either. If you see something you want to keep, bookmark it and make a folder for myLot in your bookmarks. That's about all I can think of... Best of luck.
@sulynsi (2805)
Do you mean book mark with the browser? Or is there a tool on the lot that does that? If you mean the browser, I know that wouldn't work for me. Hubby has so many bookmarks now, you can't find the "book" !
That is what I meant yes. That would be a neat feature of myLot though, I wish they had that. I have folders in my bookmarks so they don't get lost in all the mix of everything else and categorize some of them any way. It helps!
@Rose888 (177)
Follow myLot digest that sent to your email everyday, aside for bookmarking you can also used myLot search engine to find interesting topic.
@Asylum (44062)
• Manchester, England
The friends list is very useful for monitoring discussions from the people who tend to create appropriate discussions for your taste, but it certainly does have it's limitations. I noticed a long time ago, as you obviously have, that it can be difficult to trace responses by specific members. There are numerous options for filtering discussions in order to make locating the preferable ones easier, but it is only the discussion topic or creator that can be monitored in this way. A favourite habit of mine is to select a member and visit their profile page. I can then check their discussions and responses without too much hassle. When the list of recent discussions seems uninspiring to me, this makes my time at Mylot a more interesting experience.
@sulynsi (2805)
Exactly. It seems certain individuals consistently catch my attention, which is why having them as a friend is handy. Makes it much easier to pop by for a virtual visit
"A favourite habit of mine is to select a member and visit their profile page" A technique I like to use too, if only I could always remember their names.
I also happened to stumble upon discussions most of my MyLot life. I'm one of those who hasn't started many discussions, because anything I think of has already been started by someone else already. Adding interests do help, but there's not really an easy way to find them, except by thinking of it & seeing if there is already an interest already started. As for friend requests, they quite often go unanswered because they do not get noticed for one reason or another. There was one friend request that I sent when 'friends' was introduced on MyLot, but that had gone unaswered for several years. Good luck with it all, & just don't blow up the place.
@sulynsi (2805)
Hi KK!! Long time no see! My notifications still aren't working so I didn't know anyone had responded to this I've been away for a bit lately so I haven't done too much damage...........yet
I haven't gotten any notifications for a while, because the server that received & held my email is no more. I tried to change it a few days ago, & it seems that it's also not sending out the confirmation email. I, myself, am trying to make a come-back. So far, all I did was fall & break a table while break-dancing on a hard egg.
@Orson_Kart (3627)
Your avatar pic has gone missing! Anyway, yes, there is no 'Interesting' tab to go along with all the rest, which is a shame, as you so rightly point out. I too often go rooting for something that doesn't easily pop out on the home page when I log in. Being a shy chap I rarely send a friend request, and having a poor memory, the person I found really interesting one day can easily be forgotten the next. Which is my loss I guess.
@sulynsi (2805)
Shy chap? Really? Well, if you say so
I have my own system. After rummaging through all the tabs one finds on the home page, I visit profiles to check not just the topics posted but also responses given to topics. I like the choice of some users here and so I remember to go to their profiles. I found you by doing exactly that. I find this user posts good topics and also chooses topics that interest me. Short cut?
Are you myLot stalking me?
hi sulynsi you I think were here when I joined. Anyway I ofte just go to the profile pages of my friends whom I feel make really great discussions and go from there. Making friends is also a great way to find some outstanding discussions here.Good luck in your searches.
Having friends with similar interests is a lot of fun. I love your discussions Hatley and there are others that I can't get enough of to write on their topics as well. I hope they don't get tired of me going there though!
@JenInTN (27568)
Good for you! I love making new friends and I had a few people on here for a long time that I was so in contact with that I didn't even realize that we had not friended one another.
@edvc77 (2143)
I think you should make a friend request regarding this to find the person you are looking for and to know her discussions that will be posted. It happens in Mylot and maybe at times the mylotters are busy and might be online in different time as yours. Keep on going! :-)
@jenny1015 (13395)
Using the search bar for a particular topic could help you in finding which particular interest you want to respond to. And if you want to follow a certain member coz of his/her interesting discussions, just follow what the rest of the members have said before me. I am sure that would help you solve your problem with finding interesting topics to respond to.
@natliegleb (5190)
this tool rocks but the whirlwind which it gives is kind of interesting for sure and also the searches need to be refined