Just got over food poisoning

Last Friday (a week ago!) we bought a 4 pound package of ground beef. My intention was to make four casseroles out of it. I was too tired Friday night, so I put it in the refrigerator and tried to figure out how to split it into one pound parts. Saturday came and I was preparing dinner when I figured it out. I managed to create the four one-pound portions, freezing three in separate baggies and keeping out the one pound for Jim's favorite meal-tater tot casserole. Everything was fine for a short time, then Jim said to me, "It tastes like soap, like it's kinda soapy". I always rewash everything and double check to make sure everything is rinsed, so I couldn't figure out what he was talking about. He went to work though-no complaints. I finished cleaning up for the night, played on FB and went to bed. I got up at two-I thought I heard a sound or sensed a light; when I woke up, I did see a light. I took the dog with me in my arms and snuck out to the living room to investigate-I spotted Jim, slumped in the rocking chair and looking ill. That was the beginning of his being sick for two straight days-he threw up at work and they sent him home. Once home, he alternated throwing up or having diarrhea the next two days-it was good that he had those days off! I did my best to help nurse him back to health-since I didn't eat the casserole, I didn't expect to get sick. Jim has a bad habit of feeding the dog table food, so when HE got sick (he threw up ground beef), we felt that the store needed to know-I called to speak to a manager and they wanted me to come in the next day. Tuesday morning, we went to the grocery store to get our money back and he filled out a report. I was to return the meat Thursday. Wednesday, I did a dumb thing and let Jim hand me a donut. I ate it, but was still hungry and ate a peanut butter sandwich. I had business to handle across town, so I left an hour early because I wasn't exactly sure where I was going. Part way through the trip, I began belching. Belching powdered donut, so I knew something was up. I wasn't feeling too hot either, but managed to get everything done. But that evening, I was SOOOO sick! Now while most people get food poisoning, they are sick for a day or so, but when I get it, my fever spikes really high and that's worse because I have multiple sclerosis. I went to bed with an extremely high fever, which fortunately broke on its own overnight. I felt like I was hit by a tank-everything hurt and I could barely get to the bathroom because I was so stiff and sore. So that's where I've been for the past week. I'm afraid to go outside-we're expecting snow to start pretty soon, and I'm not taking chances with my health now. I still have to return the meat. Just wanted to pop in and explain where I disappeared to!
So sorry to hear of your poisoning. Ugh! Glad the store was so good about it too. I wonder if my family and I haven't gotten food poisoning sometimes and just thought we had a 24 hour virus or something like that. Ya, I would be careful too. We had alittle snow yesterday but it has been warm enough that it melted right off.
Well, the store didn't know about me getting sick too! I just wish that Jim would have been more careful and allowed me to select a donut myself-he just passed on whatever germs he had to me! Believe me, you'd know right away if you had food poisoning-the abdominal pain is horrific! We wouldn't have known it either, had Yoda not thrown up at my feet-Jim fed him some of the ground beef. We have just a few inches (it's been snowing since about 2), but it's been about 9 or 10 degrees the last few days. And then on Wednesday, it'll be close to 50! I'm just so glad I don't go out much-I haven't gotten exposed to the flu this season!
Well, I wouldn't actually know right away because I get the 'horrific' abdominal pains due to my depression and from stress. Have since I was a young girl. We are having some warmer weather here after a week or more of way low temps in the single digits. I don't go out unless I have to which is usually just on Thursdays. Haven't gotten my flu shot yet but my grandson has.
@KrauseHome (35026)
Well, if it was food poisoning this is bad. Did you get your money back? It also sounds like what some peopledeal with when they have a touch of the flu that is going around as well, so personally it could have been a little touch of both, and hope you're feeling a lot better now.
Yes, we did get our money back, but it turned out to be the tater tots that were bad and not the meat. I am doing much better now, thank you.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
so sorry to hear that.. you sure have to be very cafeful what you eat these days. Take care there.
Thanks maria. I am feeling somewhat better, but I'm a bit leery to cook for myself-I'm only eating prepared food that I can snack on (expensive, but I feel safer). I haven't had food poisoning in about 25 years, but this time it really packed a wallop!
Given how the American food system is, it's actually surprising that there aren't far more cases of food poisoning each year. As it stands, 1 in 4 Americans experiences food poisoning each year (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29285754/ns/health-food_safety/t/food-poisoning-strikes-americans-year/) and costs the U.S. billions of dollars (http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/news/20100303/food-poisoning-costs-152-billion-a-year).
I'm not surprised by those stats. Because it occurred within the two day window of refrigeration (bought Friday, happened Saturday), they did give me double my money back. I haven't had food poisoning since 1988 or 1989, but we wouldn't have even suspected it until the dog got sick on the floor. The scary thing was that I fried the meat, then baked it for over an hour, so I know it wasn't because of uncooked meat.
@jenny1015 (13390)
A lot of people do get sick during this cold season. I hope you get better soon. Keep safe!