So then the electricity Meter caught fire

@cynthiann (18637)
Jamaica
and all the power went. Not to worry, I thought. Get electrician to fix it so called an electrician who lived quite near to me and he said that he would come first thing in the morning. Meanwhile, I could not start the generator as something is wrong but did find loads of red Christmas candles that I had forgotten to light and so made a game of it with grands. Coped quite well that first night. GF cooked supper at her house as my stove is electric and filled up flasks with hot water. Missed the fan but we coped and they loved having candles around them. Only one battery light and kept that for emergency use during the night. Day two, I took twins to fast food for brekkie before school and then got home and waited. Charged phone at GF's. Everything cool. Then went shopping with electrician to get stuff to get the thingie to work. Electrician said that it now has to be inspected by some government agency and then inspectors come and sign off on work and then the power company will re-connect the elctricity. Today I asked? No, he said. Tomorrow then? I asked. No he said. And then he added, 'Within two weeks'. [b] And it was then that I lost the plot![/b] So I text the son who was busy helping to save the nation talking about fiscal reform and hard stuff like that and told him that he had better save my sanity as I was suffering from withdrawal symptons from lack of electricity in my life! Fortunately, he made it happen. Day three: Two grumpy Inspectors arrived at midday and told me that I need more thingies so dashed to town for the umpteenth time and told them not to leave. I am now demented as I thought that they would leave. Thankfully they didn't and eventually signed an important bit of paper that had to be personally delivered (would not accept faxed copy) in a town nearly an hour's drive away and I panicked as had to collect twins from school or get this paper to power company by 4pm so that I could get electricity that evening. Contacted son who got someone to collect paper and I went for twins. About 7pm the crew came and reconnected the electricity. The twins jumped up and down with delight and I skipped a little as this was all that I could manage. Hvae you ever had a power outage that lasted for three days? Thank G*d I do not live in a cold country.
@katsmeow1213 (28925)
Geez! Sounds dreadful.. glad things worked out.. but it must have been difficult going for 3 days with no power! So, my co-worker is heading down to Jamaica tomorrow and staying 5 nights in Montego Bay at a resort. Is that anywhere near you?
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
Oh dear, rain and a cold frint expected. I am so sorry for them and hope they get some sunshine. It is about a two hour drive from me. Do you know the name of the resort? So sorry for them and hope that they get some sunshine. Awful to come all this way to rain
No I didn't ask the name of the resort. I'm sure it will still be a nice reprieve from what we have here. It's been near 0 temps here and lots of snow and ice.
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
Heavy, heavy rain. I am so sorry for them but at least they are in a hotel and can party.
@bounce58 (17550)
It's great to have friends (or sons) in high places! Back when I was living in Asia, the country I was in had rolling schedules of blackouts. It wasn't all day as we'd have electricity a few hours a day, but when it was 'our' schedule, it was terrible. I think boredom was the biggest enemy back then. I remember making friends with a handheld, battery-operated video game back then.
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
When the Inspectors came they were definitely not happy as they had been asked/ordered to come. But seriously, an oldish woman alone who is not in good health plus two minors to be left in the dark for over a week? This is so wromg and I intend to write to the power company re their policy. The problem is that we only have one power company so as they have a monopoly they are lax in their response to emergencies.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
sorry to hear that.. we went 2 days once with out power. I hated that so much. Glad all is well..
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
Horrible isn't it? I prefer to be without water than electricity. I feel cut off from the world without electricity.
yea,we've had it a few times,most recently with hurricane sandy. i do live in a cold area,but i have gas heat,and that was still on. i refuse to use power heat,mainly for those exact reasons.plus,it goes off often in my area.they need to upgrade the grid.
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
Oh,! I am so glad that your heating is gas. I understand. I live in a hot country so this was all the electricity in my home - electric stove, fridge, water heater etc. Drove me bananas
No, I have never had the power out for so long. We did have the power go out once when we lived in another place about fifteen years ago. The transformer went out with a big pop that woke all up in the apartments around the area. Idaho power was called and they came out. Took them probably about four or five hours to get it all working. They had big trucks our and one that brought the new transformer. This last Summer we had several outages but they only lasted an hour or two. SOunds like you had alot of fun with your outage. Ugh!
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
Yeh, really great! I was happy though that everything in the freezer was not spoilt. hat was a plus for me. I have heard transformer's blow before and it is a frightening sound.
@jillhill (37354)
We had an ice storm and we were without lights and heat for four days....Did okay though, I have a gas stove so we ate very good. Did alot of baking to keep the house warm...and I had oil lamps for lights at night. Hot water because I have a gas hot water heater.....so it wasn't so bad. Slept in the kitchen in a recliner and had cots too...played games and did puzzles to pass the time away as nothing was open anyway. You do get a bit on the edgy side without the lights!
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
You managed so well! I hate the cold as my childhood was spent being cold in the winter - as there was never enough heat. So glad to get the power back. Omagine going for two weeks without power! I used to have oil lamps on the fasrm as we had frequent power cuts in the early days when we lived there. But I was younger and could cope better
@bunnybon7 (33057)
• Holiday, Florida
gee whiz! what was the problem? something wore out? Ive had it a couple times but not that long I think. way many years ago. the most recent i guess is when we had a big storm here, no snow as its just wind and rain in AZ some times. that was only 2 hrs. and i was going bonkers and son was laughing at me saying read a book like you did before you got a pc. years ago we had it in a big snow storm in Ohio, but it only lasted a day and night then.
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
I don't know what the problem was but maybe it was a good thing to happen as if it had happened in the night the house could have caught fire
@urbandekay (18314)
Where I live the power is delivered by overhead cables and power cuts are not uncommon, don't think we have had one for three days for a long time though. I keep a diesel generator for such occasions all the best, urban
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
I do have a generator but it wasnot working. Electrician trying to repair it but could not have used it anyway as the power company disconnected everything and then took a thingy away so nothing could be done
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
No not for three days. That is a long time to go without electricity especially with kids. I'm so sorry you went through all that. I'm sure many went through that and more days with out electricity back in New York, New Jersey etc... during the Sandy storm. I live in Puerto Rico and from time to time we have an outage the most that I could remember though was maybe anywhere from seven to ten hours in one shot. We brought a generator because of this. Hopefully this problem won't happen again. God Bless!
@cynthiann (18637)
• Jamaica
We lost power through hurricane Sandy too but I was mentally prepared for that one. This took me by surprise and then when they said that it may take 2 weeks to inspect the place