U. S. Postal Service to Stop Saturday delivery in August

@stealthy (8188)
This is for letters, etc. They will continue to deliver packages six days a week. This could cause problems for people who still receive and pay their bills by mail since it could make them late resulting in late fees. Also, it could cause problems for people who rent DVDs from Netflix and similar places. No Saturday letter pickup or delivery can devalue subscriptions. For example someone maximizing a monthly $7.99 one-disc subscription, watching the movie the day it arrives and mailing it back the next day, would get one less disc during August 2013, eight instead of nine, it they started the month with a disc in hand. I don't have Netflix so I don't know how it works or if it would affect later months after the delivery and pickup change. Another problem could be for people like me who pay estimated income taxes quarterly. As it is with deadline for a quarter being on the 15th of a month(April, May, September and January) even with Saturday mail service it is sometimes cut close on having the needed information in time to do the calculations for the payment. Even the final year taxes due on April 15 each year could be affected although that is less likely. However, I did receive a corrected 1099 late in the day on the 15th of April one year. But for the quarterly especially there would be at least two less days to receive the data which means, in my opinion, that the IRS should change the due dates to the 17th of the months they are due in.
I just read that this evening they are eliminating mail service on Saturday starting in August. I have some mail that I always get on Saturday and I guess now I will not get it until on Monday. Which I am not happy about.
@MoonGypsy (4613)
now, here is some information that i did not hear about. i don't have tv hooked up. i only have netflix on my ps3 and internet. i didn't know that they were stopping saturday delivery service. i wonder why? hmmm. could be because of the economy and cut backs? that is really scary. guess i will have to post this one on facebook. thanks.
I saw this today on the news. I would not be effected since we still will get packages. I pay all my bills online and before they are due to be collected. so the shortened week will not effect me. I don't even have to wait on a bill either when they come they are all paid so they can go straight in the trash can. I hope more people will get those bills out sooner if possible.
@rosekiss (30266)
• Eugene, Oregon
Stopping Saturday service, really doesn't affect me, as I pay all my bils online, and I never get packages, nor do I send any either. I have expected this to happen a long time ago. They claim it will save money, and if that is the case, they should have stopped it long ago. I do feel for the people that pay their bills by mail, as it probably will cause some problems. Since email, the postoffice doesn't get all that much mail anymore, so it does make sense to stop delivery on Saturdays. Take care!