do you feed your dog human food?

I had been given a dog and we fell in love with her. the problem was she refused to eat dog food. we spent a lot on it trying to save my food bill ANd nothing worked for us. soon we had to get rid of her because her bark was too loud for the owner who lived upstairs us. I will never live with the owner again. we are already planning to get a puppy to grow up with our training. I will prefer to give the dog dog food and a few scraps from the table so they don't go to the trash. so I was wondering what happened with feeding your dog.
@winterose (39918)
You don't have the patience for dogs or cats, don't get one, if you take a puppy it takes months to train. It can eat your sofa or the legs of table by then. Puppies are like babies they go through the everything in their mouth stage, and chewing is as normal to a pup as eating is to us. You don't have the patience for animals gifts, your reaction is to give them away when you can't get them to do what you want. Guess what they have feelings too.
what I don't have adrain does so we are getting a little dog. I will also keep it away from my couch any way so that is not a problem. I can manage with a pet.
@trisha27 (3498)
I think gifts in my opinion, try getting a dog from a shelter. I got my male dog from a shelter and he was very well trained and we only had to train him on a few things. I say try out the shelters first and just don't get one from off the street. I have noticed in my experience it is much harder to train animals that come from friends and family or whomever is much harder. But when I got my chihuahua mixed from a shelter, he was so much easier to train and also he was already trained in some things. Maybe she would be better with a much older dog who is already trained in somethings like staying off the furniture and already knows how to let you know when he has to go out. Because puppies are so much harder to train in my opinion and experience as well.
@tash01 (2032)
• Jamaica
I have never brought a dog food for out dog.We feed them with table scraps, are we cook dog food. More of these doesn't not like dog food,most dogs love trash.In order to get a dog who eat dog food,you will have to get from a puppy stage.An feed that dog with dog food,so that he will get a custom to it.
That is good to knw I will see what happens when we get ours. adrain loves dogs and has one now living else where because the building made him get rid of it. no dogs allowed any longer.
@tash01 (2032)
• Jamaica
My brother kill our dog,a few days ago.Now we don't have any dog,the place is bored with out a dog. My husband love dogs too,but when our house is finish we will get two dogs.
As much of a germ-a-phobe that you are, I wouldn't get a dog or a puppy. Animals aren't disposable. They are a lifetime commitment. I would hate to know you got one and in a couple of months you got rid of it. Puppies are going to make mistakes. They will have accidents and poop and pee on the floor. Unless you plan to be very tolerant of a new pup I would suggest you don't get one. You are going to have to take it outside to toilet several times a day and also before bed. When you get up in the morning he may leave a present of poo and pee until he learns how to hold his bladder.
I forgot to mention. My daughter fell in live with a kitten that was at Walmart. A whole litter was being given away. Her husband is allergic to cats, but she wanted it and bright it home. It was pure out hell living with SIL with a cat in the house. He put up with it until we had to move and then he took it to a rescuer at our vet's office. Another mylotter did a lot to help get Sassy placed. She is fortunate to have another mylotter for a mommy. It really hurt me that they brought the cat home for me to fall in love with. A dog requires more attention than a cat does. I hope you aren't sorry.
I don't have a problem walking it or anything. the cleaning will moslty be done by adrain and he knows this.. I will walk the dog and share in everything from a to z. I just don't want any animals on my furniture. if I cna train the dog to stay off the furniture he can poo all over the house and that will be ok. I have that much patience. adrian is a neat freak so he will be on it with the dog poo. thanks and sorry to hear about your cat. my mother gets a shot every week to keep her cat. she went to the hospital 15 days and the hospital told her the attacks are coming from the cats hair. so every day she sweeps and mops the floor.
@jazel_juan (15767)
Here in my place our dogs do eat human food.. meat, rice, bread.. our dogs are used to eating that.
aha just the same, well you can find it at food court where you will see a lot of wild dogs. wait for chance to get food
I was told dogs should never have human seasoning on their food.
@pomwango (1355)
• Kenya
i don't have a dog, my mum has one.most of the time she forgets to buy the dog meal and it is given what is left over from what we eat.the only caution is not to give the dog raw meats because this will make the dog have an appetite to attack chicken or the animals like goats.i dont see anything wrong as long as the dog gets a balanced diet.
I never knew that would cause attacks. that is goof info to know for sure thanks.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
I have a pedigree Shih Tzu and we have always given him dry dog food in his first ten years. Now that he is 14 going on 15 I'm giving him both dry dog food along with some scraps or pork chop bones from the table. Only because he is old and I don't know how much longer he will be around. So I want him to enjoy what life he has left with us. Shih Tzu's are the best dogs to have in my opinion. They are intelligent, learns the routine really quick and just so lovable and will be a great companion and guard dog. Even though he is small he will bark and maybe attack if someone was to try and hurt you physically.
I don't know what kind we are getting except i know it will not be a pit bull or close to that size either.
@inu1711 (5288)
My first dog didn't want to eat dog food at all. I cooked special food for her every day for 13 years, I was like her slave. I don't complain, I did that with all my love but it was a big inconvenient: we couldn't leave home for too long because she didn't want to eat anything. She would rather starve than eat dog food. So I decided the new dog will eat only dog food. She does. But she also receives raw meat and bones and raw fruits and vegetables from time to time. Anyway, she's a big eater, she would eat almost anything. If you want your puppy to eat dog dry food, don't give him anything (especially table scraps) unless he's a big eater. If he's a picky eater, he will beg for table scraps and he will stop eating the dog food.
@asliah (11148)
actually my dog didn't eat dog food because we don't have such enough money to add in the budget we need to spend,so my dog eat the left over food we had after we eat,and she liked those food except the dried one,my dog likes vegetables too.
@sacmom (14315)
Hmm, are you really sure you want a puppy? Puppies are cute and all, but they still bark, can be quite destructive, and need a lot of attention as well as training. Unless you don't mind the barking and destructiveness, I wouldn't recommend getting one. As someone else already said, pets are not disposable. However, if you do get one, make sure to crate train it. It'll save a lot of grief and heart ache in the end. Good luck! Happy mylotting! PS By the way, my husband, kids, and I are guilty of giving our dog people food. But only as a treat. We don't want her living off the stuff, after all.
@Chico1793 (135)
Yeah we used to feed our jack russel meat tortilla food that we thought she can eat. At first tho we said no because we weren't sure how she would react. But she would always put her little sad face and do a soft cry and scratch our leg until she got what she wanted and we just have up but a few months ago we put her back on dog food because she became so stubborn she would not take a bite of her dog food
For the most part, we feed all of our pets dog or cat food because of the fact that those foods are specifically formulated for the needs of the animals. However, I do have to say that as most people do, there are times that we do make exceptions to that rule as we will feed the animals some of our table scraps so that none of the food that is ever in our house goes to waste. I do try to limit how much table food that I give to the animals though because I feel like if they eat table food too often then they will be unwilling to eat pet foods.
@KrauseHome (35293)
From time to time, we have been known to give our dog some human food, like Rice every once in a while, as we have heard it is good for a Pomeranians fur, but other than this, it is only dog food, as feeding it people food all the time would be bad for it. I guess in reality it depends on what type of dog you are wanting to get as to what is Best.
Human food isn't good for dogs. They need specific nutrients, and if you're feeding them human food, they won't get everything they need. You can occasionally give them table scraps, but that should not be all they eat.
My dog ate only dog food until she was very old. When she started to have big problems due to old age, I cooked special food for her and she ate that. It was mainly fish soup with lots of veggies. She also ate some dog food, but she prefered the soup.
@trisha27 (3498)
I have two chihuahuas. One full bread chihuahua and the other mixed with chihuahua and terrier. Lol he has a taco bell dog face. Anyway,I feed both of them regular food. I never give them bones though, just because from shows I used to watch people's dogs getting sick from eating bones because the bone gets splintered and tears up their insides. But anyway, I haven't given them any people food, but I'm thinking about it, since the female dog is so little I'm not sure how people food will do on her stomach. I've also read chihuahua's have very sensitive stomachs. So I may have to discuss with vet. But it would be a good idea to get the dog as a puppy so you can train them and they can learn while growing up. It will take a lot of patience though to train them. Or if you don't have much patience I would recommend a dog from a shelter. They are most likely trained. I think either way grown or puppy you should get one from a shelter. At least you know they are healthy and they have all their shots. I got my male dog from the shelter, and he was already trained to go to the bathroom outside and everything and he knew when to let you know he had to go out. We only had to train him on a few things, like stay off the furniture and stuff like that. The female dog we got from my husband's co-worker and it is taking her awhile to be trained. We are still training her to try and get her to go outside. If you have the patience then I say go for it and get a puppy. You'll have to post pics when you get one.
@redredrose (1107)
Well i have 2 dogs and they eat regular dog food but we also feed them people food sometimes as well. When i was dating my husband he had a dog and his family fed that dog human food sometimes. Every dog i ever had as a kid my mom fed people food. Once she even fed a dog eggs off a fork. My father in law and his wife have a dog they feed people food to sometimes. I'm not saying everyone with a dog feeds them human food but a lot do because they spoil their dogs. Some think it is being a loving owner to feed them human food or it is just nice. Sometimes we just feed the dog the table scraps so we don't have to throw anything away or waste it.