When you rent a home can you remove the carpet..

When you go visit a new place and you see carpet is it wise to tell the owner you would like to pull up the carpet? I am just thinking about it and carpet holds dirt more than a floor we can mop every day.. I know there are vacuum cleaners to buy. but that would never sit right with me. I need to know my floors are clean in my house. that is why I love having my white tile floors. we both mop so much it stays clean. thanks.
@Dominique25 (9476)
With our place we can't. I agree that having a tile or wood floor is so much better. That is what we pretty much had in our last place. And renting those types of vacuums are expensive or having it professionally done. We think that our carpet should be replaced where we are at now. But since my husband made it seem like I was the one who didn't like the carpet it wasn't looked at as a big deal. It has been shampoed but I think sometimes when a carpet needs to be replaced it just does. I have been contemplating getting it professionally done and that cost twenty two cents a square foot. I was thinking about having the walk way done because that is the main part that is driving me crazy. But it would look so much better if it was just replaced. But landlords can be just as tight.
I am going to look for hard wood or tile floors. I really can't manage carpet at all. I would constantly worry about people not wanting to take off their shoes. I have tile and take my shoes of as soon as I walk in it is a habit for me already.
We take off our shoes too. Keeps the carpet nice.
that is the only thing to do with carpet and white floors.
@34momma (13896)
hmmmmm... unless it's a new carpet, i don't think they would have a big problem with that. even more so if you want the home and it's a deal breaker. talk to them and see what they say
They could just as easy find someone who would take it with the carpet. I am goign to see if I can find a tile floor first. thanks and how are you doing tonight. I do hope fine. take care.
@34momma (13896)
Well good morning to you. If you can find what you are looking for that would be awesome. I am doing fantastic this morning thank you very much. Have a great day
It depends on the landlord and the terms of the lease. Always assume that whatever the landlord says is a lie. If it's not in the lease, there will be an issue. The rule with dealing with landlords is to assume that the bad things are at least twice as bad as they admit to (i.e., utility costs) and that the good things are only, at most, half as good as they say.
I never heard anything like this before. I would hope to not be lied to but it will be something on my mind. thanks.
It's my own personal rule, which has arisen out of years dealing with landlords and property managers who are "creative" with the truth.
• Dhaka, Bangladesh
A rented home is your home and always arrange it according to your choice and intention. Have a nice day.
It's not her home; she pays for usage of the home. She had better get an okay in writing before she starts tearing up the floors.
I would need permission and in writing before I did something like that to their house.
I may be wrong, but I don't think you can go into someone else's home and tear up the carpet. That's essentially what you are asking. If you want to tear up carpet, the best thing to do is buy your own home so you can do what you want. We have carpeting everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms. I wouldn't want bare floors. I have asthma and if my carpet was dirty I would be having asthma attacks and I don't. We vacuum every 2 days. I love the way my house looks.
some people don't want to remove their shoes when coming in to peoples homes. I would be so mad if adrain refused to take off his shoes. bad enough on these white floors his boots make marks on it.
@Dominique25 (9476)
Oh I forgot to add that I have been holding off on having it professionally done because I'm not sure how long we are going to be in this place. So if we do end up moving this year after are lease is up then I don't want to waste my money. After all the problems my husband and I are going through it is better for me to set my money aside for future emergencies.
I don't blame you at all. I would do the very same thing you are doing.
@sender621 (14956)
This would be something that you should bring up to your landlord. Usually the contents belong to the owner when you are renting. An exception would be if you had your own furnishings to move in with you. Something as huge as a carpet is a big issue to have between renter and owner, especially when you want to replace it.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
Id think not, as thats an expence for them to replace it later on. But I guess doesnt hurt to ask the landlord. I understand why youd like it that way. How are u these days?
I am very fine these days. I went to the pool tonight with my friend bj. it was really nice and fun too.
@eagletrek2 (5186)
• Kingston, New York
Hi when you look at a place and like It.ask the landlord what the terms ate And if the carpet is not new ask If you can take the carpet out. That will be the only way you Know for sure.
That will be the situation for me when I move. I would hate to spend money cleaning carpet all the time.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
Well it all depends on the landlord. I know my daughter has been able to remove her rugs with permission from the landlord. They were dirty, stained and stunk of cat piss. However, if they are brand new, not stained or dirty they usually will not allow them to be removed. That is why you should try to find a place without rugs. I agree they hold alot of dirt and they are a pain to keep clean. Not to mention also so unheathy especially if someone has asthma. I'm so glad I no longer have rugs in my home.
That is why I am going to look hard for tile or wood floors.
I prefer carpet but nice and clean one... on the white and shiny floor I like to see a nice persian carpet in the center of floor surronded with nice furniture.. that is how I grow up, when I see a home without nice carpet I feel I have gone to desert :)
that sounds very nice to have there. I have a rug under my center table and it is multi colored.
@arvintot (401)
You should first ask the owner if you could remove the carpet, if he/she agress then remove it. Its much easier to clean if you don't have a carpet.
That is my plan if I can't find one with other floors I would prefer to mop.
It is better if you just look for a place that has no carpet. You have no idea what is under the carpet when you take it up, so you would be better off just looking for what you want to begin with.
@surekharathi (14134)
I think if carpet is in good condition then no need to change it. But you are right carpet pick the more dirt then tiles so mostly I prefer tiles not carpet.
@asliah (11149)
for me i am not really comfortable to carpet because aside from its hard to clean it,it also needs vacuum,so i will remove the carpet or i will replace it a floor mat so that i can easily clean the floor by mop,and if my floor is wood i will just wax it.
I believe that this is something that really does depend on the landlord that you have. There are some landlords that will allow you to make changes to the house as long as they are not something that is going to take down the value of their investment. However, it tends to be that with most landlords, you have to take what you are given. They are hesitant to make changes just because of the fact that those changes are something that the tenant has a desire for.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
When you rent someone's elses property I don't think you are allowed to make any significant changes unless its specified in the lease...after all you are just renting you don't own th property..I think you should even get permssion in writing if you want to change the paint color...otherwise it can be considered as damage to the property.... Yes I am sure you do mop everyday many times because you don't like bacteria...LOL
hi gifts I don't think so but am not sure. Yes carpet also holds dust and dust mites and although they vacuum most every day I still have allergy to ths stuff and take benadryl every night so I can sleep without a completely stuffed up nose.Of course I guess that here they have to use carp;ts to make the rooms quiet upstairs so we do not to bother those downstairs. I had wood floors in our home before we sold it. but of course once we went to apts they all have carpets on the floors. You are right they really hold the dust and even good vacuuming never gets it all out.white tile floors wow that sou nds lovely and I bet your house is so clean. Also white floors will go with any color of walls and other decor. lovely idea.