All About Grapes

United States
February 13, 2013 11:03am CST
First of all i wanted to know if grapes are really bad to feed to dogs. This is what someone told me once after they saw me feeding my dog grapes. Well the grapes didn't seem to hurt my dog or make my dog sick so i wanted to know if this is true that grapes are bad to feed to dogs. Also what kind of grapes do you like best? me i love them all but the red grapes are best to me. My sister freezes the purple grapes and they taste like a popsicle when you them that way. I like grapes in fruit salad grape juice and just about any way you can eat a grape. So tell me what do you know about grapes and how to eat them or what to put them in when cooking and are the bad for dogs.
7 responses
@jenny1015 (13394)
• Philippines
13 Feb 13
GRAPES IN LARGE QUANTITIES CAN BE LETHAL TO DOGS. The dog will immediately begin to vomit repeatedly, and will become extremely hyperactive and jittery. After about 24 hours, the dog will become lethargic and depressed. It may experience abdominal pain and may stop urinating, drinking, and/or eating. It will also become dehydrated. Both vomit and feces will contain partially digested raisins or grapes. Its breathing may become irregular. That is why dogs should only be fed with dog food cause they contain the exact amount of nutrition that they need and our food can be fatal for them.
• United States
14 Feb 13
I never knew any of this about grapes and dogs jenny. Thank you for the info. I will tell my husband what i have heard on here and never again feed my dogs grapes. Tho i have never fed them raisins and never knew they could be just as bad. I'm just glad my 2 dogs never got sick from grapes. This is why i like my lot because you can get info like this here and advice on what not to do with your pets such as feed them grapes. Thanks again for the info jenny.
@jenny1015 (13394)
• Philippines
14 Feb 13
No problem! Glad to help! I have made the same mistake as well, so I know that I really need to just give our pet the food that is intended for them.
• United States
14 Feb 13
I will tell my hubby that we shouldn't feed the dogs certain things other than their dog food. Tho he spoils them so much and feeds them people food alot. I will tell him not to feed them grapes tho we don't usually have raisins in the house.
@bunnybon7 (33926)
• Holiday, Florida
14 Feb 13
there are tons and tons of foods good for us that are toxic and make our dogs sick and can even kill them if eaten enough. raisens to are a form of grapes that are not good for dogs, also avacado and some other nuts except for peanuts which are fine. i always look up everything before i feed it to my dog. do searches
• United States
14 Feb 13
bunnybon thanks for the info and yes i will start to do searches because i do not want to harm either of mu dogs.
@dorannmwin (36695)
• United States
15 Feb 13
The only reason that I can think of that feeding grapes to dogs would be something that could be dangerous would be if they are seeded grapes because the seeds could be very difficult on the digestive system. With that said, I have to say that my favorite grapes to eat are always seedless grapes. Then when it comes to the color, I will typically eat green grapes, but I love to get some purple grapes from time to time because I really like the sweetness of them.
14 Feb 13
i don't like pets ..so i don't have any.i don't have much knowledge of feeding grapes to dogs..i just know that grapes has lot of calories..so i avoid eating grapes
@namiya (1599)
• Philippines
14 Feb 13
Redrose,your discussion had provided additional knowledge that I am not also aware of. Reading through the responses here, had been very informative hence, for posting this topic.
@kprofgames (3024)
• United States
14 Feb 13
I've never seen a dog eat a grape so this is all news for me as well. Was some interesting facts here about the hazards to them - good info! As for what kind I like, it's the red seedless ones. We often put a bowl of grapes out for movie night and eat that instead of popcorn. Have never used them in cooking because like the sweetness and the pop they make eating them just as they are. Do they loose their flavor? If you cook with them do they add a natural sweetness to the dish? I might have to look that up now because curious about how or what kinds of dishes they would be used in.
@911Ricki (13602)
• Canada
14 Feb 13
Grapes can kill a dog, I would never feed my dog grapes. It may not seem to be hurting them, but over time it releases in their body and kills them. I like green grapes myself, but rarely get them as they are so expensive.