Who pays by cheque anymore?

@911Ricki (13602)
I was talking to my boss today, he will be leaving this Saturday for vacation. Now I have worked 3 shifts (including tonight). He was saying he will leave the pay sitting in the drawer, a post dated cheque. I stood there with this look, and I am sure he was wondering what I was thinking. My seasonal boss pays by cheque only because there is a few employees. But this company is a larger franchise type store. All jobs I had pay direct deposit, and I was sort of shocked they still pay by cheque, luckily I drove past the bank to go home, whereas my seasonal job I have to drive out of my way.
@SomeCowgirl (32273)
Everyone does, there are just a few that ONLY pay by cheque. Some down here it's either direct deposit or a money card. I've had a few jobs where you had to pick up the cheque everytime. My waitressing job was like that. I think mostly smaller companies do that to save money. Did they not give you or tell you where to get a DD form?
@cher913 (25895)
when i first started where i work now, we got paid by cheque when we got paid, which is once a month (so it really was not a problem). we now get paid by them depositing our pay in our account but they have only been doing that for a few years. as for still getting paid by cheque, my hubby does still (and he is the bookkeeper who issues the cheques). he works for a garage and they don't have a lot of staff and it would be too expensive for them to do it otherwise. he gets paid once a week and has to make sure he goes to our credit union before 7 because if not, they will freeze his cheque for 24 hours.
as long as that check clears I would not worry about it. he might like banking better with checks.
@jenny1015 (13394)
He will be out in a few days and he just wanted to assure you that you will receive your pay on time and not be worried. At least that is how your boss thought about. Coz I know some would tell their employees to just wait for their boss to come back before getting their pay.
@sjlskl (3385)
Cheque, cash or straight to my bank account, it does not matter as long as I get paid. Of course, paying to my bank account will be much lesser of a fuss but hey, all you need to be is to drop the cheque in the bank box and you are done.
@BarBaraPrz (17556)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I'm sure many places still issue actual pay cheques. The last place I worked actually still paid in cash! Once you're settled in the job, you can raise the matter of direct deposit.
@Nursefrai06 (2498)
• Penrith, Australia
I know my mom receives her pay from the hospital via cheque because the cheques have already been taxed. She hates cheques and she tries to get her pay earlier before they're converted into cheques.
@TLilly12 (1230)
I have a checking account, that my sister open for me when she pays, my niece my rent money,and she will have to use the same checking account when, I move out to pay my rent to my new landlord, i know she isn't going to like that, because that is taking money away from my niece, which I really don't care, i want to be on my own and my sister is going to, have to deal with it.
@saundyl (9698)
A lot of places still pay by cheque - especially smaller companies where its more of an expense and hassle to get the direct deposit systems up and running. I found it frustrating here when i had an out of territory bank account and my cheques took 10 days to get to the bank. I took the time to open up a bank account locally and transfer any money i need into the other bank online now.