Do you talk to your cat?

@Jargoness (1193)
Israel
And does it talk back to you? I have some cats who never utter a meow, while others would blab all day. Fluffy for example is very talkative, while her mother, Mamma Gatta is pretty quiet.
• Greece
I talk to my cats and my dogs. They are all receptive even though they don't understand me most of the time. I am sure they like to hear the sound of my voice. My cat, Lucy, knows her name and she responds when I speak to her, she either meows or she curls her toes. Either way I know there is some kind of communication going on between human and cat. I have talked to cats all my life and sometimes been teased about it but I don't mind being thought of as slightly crazy in this respect. Maybe it is a cultural thing because English people on the whole talk to their animals. Here in Greece it is less likely to happen because the animals do not generally live in the house, so there is less communication. I am going into the kitchen now to cook my dinner and if Lucy comes in and walks around my feet I will tell her to go away or I will put her outside!
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Ahahah, poor Lucy! How come amimals don't generally live in the house in Greece? Is it a different mentality?
• Greece
I'm not Greek but I have got the impression that they think animals will make the house dirty. Greek housewives are meticulous. Dogs being outside I can understand because most of them are guard dogs, the expensive breed dogs live indoors I believe. Cats are looked upon as vermin catchers and both dogs and cats have plastic houses outside to live in. I had a boy of about 12 visiting me one day and he stroked one of my cats and she purred. He wanted to know what the sound meant! Imagine being 12 years old and never hearing a cat purr before.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Wow. I really can't imagine it, actually. Well, at least they have a spot they can live in, though I can't imagine plastic being warm and cozy in the winter (and fresh during the summer!).
@cerebellum (3871)
At one time I had 4 cats and talked to them all the time. I was really talking to myself, but it looked better if I talked to the cats. Like yours they all had different personalities. Two would "talk" back, and two didn't.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
They didn't say anything at all? I see that cats who don't like to talk actually communicate a lot with their eyes and body.
Not really. Their ears would kind of go back, but they didn't really have any reaction.
@else22 (4319)
We don't have cats,we have cows,and we love them.I have been a cow lover,but I nevertry to talk to them.In fact,if you want to talk to your cat,you would have to forget that you are talking to an animal.Instead,you would have to visualize you are talking to a human being,or a being who understands your language.I tried to visualize my cows,but the thought that I am talking to animals invariably occupies my mind.Your cats understand your emotions,not your language.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
I never think I'm talking to a person when I'm talking to cats. That'd be pretty weird :p
@else22 (4319)
You are blessed.Extrmely fortunate.I wish I would be like you.I highly appreciate you.
I used to talk to my cat and she talked back to me and she also talked to me and I answered her. She got lost about 3 years ago. I still miss her very much.
• Penrith, Australia
I miss my cat too, very much. I had this one cat too, and she was like the cutest thing ever. I raised it eversince it was a kitten then one day it got lost. One morning, i was on my way to an examination and i saw her on a porch of some house i pass by. And then we just stared at each other for a long time, and then i called her name, but she didnt even recognize me, instead she shot out deeper into the other buildings.. I felt bad as i was attached to that cat, i wanted to chase her but then I'd be late for my exam, so i let her go. She was never seen again.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
I'm really sorry, folks. :( I lost many cats in these 24 years and I still suffer for them.
@jenny1015 (13389)
I don't have a cat. But I do talk to my dog. Sometimes, I would often mistaken my niece's name with my dog's name. I think I just love that dog more than I really know.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Is your niece happy about that? XD
@jenny1015 (13389)
Hahaha! she just turned one last November. I really didn't get any reaction from her. It was my sister in law who was a bit annoyed every time I slip my tongue!
@AkamaruKei (5218)
Sometime i feel a cat understand what we say. When my mom talking something bad about my cat, My cat looking at her face. She know if someone angry or not angry. I think a cat understand about what we say but we not understand what they say.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Indeed, they don't understand the meaning of our words, but they definitely can notice our tone and energy.
@yoyo1198 (3643)
My cat talks to me all the time. That is, when she is not asleep. I can tell from her tone what she is saying. Whether it is food time, play time, bored time, or whatever. She wants to have physical contact with me at nighttime when we are asleep. I turned away from her the other night and she got up and fussed at me and started walking on my arm. I had to turn back and put my arm where she could lie against it before she would go back to sleep. Silly cat.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Aww, she's a sweetie. You can see she loves you :)
I do talk to my cat. Normally, he doesn't answer back, but, sometimes, if he meows, I'll meow back, and then we go on with that for a few seconds. I do have a talkative cat, but he talks when he wants, not when we want.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
That's a real cat! Cats only do things when they want to. XD
@sender621 (14956)
I have four cats. I find myself talking to at least one of them each day. The funny thing is that I am often waiting for a response from them. I know that they can not talk back to me. They are not ust pets to me. They are a comforting friend as well.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
To me they're part of my family :) Just some minutes ago, I was asking my Miu something and kept looking at her expecting an answer. She just stared a me wide-eyed, lol.
@ifa225 (11098)
HI Jargoness, I talk to any pet I have I remember when I was a little girl, I have a cat named kitty. I talk to her all the time, but she just look at me and lay in my leg as her responsed
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Maybe she just enjoyed listening to you :)
@kokomo (1868)
We have a kitten now in our boarding and it's my friend's cat. Ever since, I am not that fond of having cats in the house. I am more on dogs than cats. But then, I learned that cats most especially kitten are lovable too. It can take away my stress like puppies when I was about to see it.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Kittens are so adorable, they're able to melt my heart whenever I see them. And their tiny meows makes me squeal, lol.
@alottodo (3061)
I talk to my cats all day long and they are very responsive in fact I talk to all animals and they seem to befriend me very quickly!
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
You're a sort of cat whisperer! Have you ever seen the show?
@Angelpink (4022)
Hello there ! Seldom i hear my Cat meows but still i talk with him. He is a part of the house and family , that is why i got to talk to him also. She don't respond but will stare at you like telling something and just can't say it in words.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
That's another great thing about cats, they seem to be talking and telling lots of things without even emitting a sound.
@leeandrew (1226)
I did when I have cats before. It's good to talk to pets specially when you are down and all you want is to say what's on your mind and you don't need an answer back. I have some friends who also talks to their plants co's they believe that doing so would make her plants grow better and render flower beautifully.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Yeah, I've heard that many people actually talk to plants, but don't know personally any of them. Who knows, maybe they are right- plants really need that kind of attention. :)
I talk to my cat, most of the time if I'm asking if she's hungry and she want more fill, or if the water is too cold for her when I give her a bath. I even scold her if she's being too hyper at home and some of the stuffs and figurines fall because of her. She usually answers me with a 'meow'. XD It's kinda fun talking to cats, and any animals.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
If she's answer you with a chirp I'd personally be in awe
• Poland
I often talk to animals and it's not always stuff like "oh how cute you are kitty". I sometimes ask questions and then expect answers. Usually all I get are curious or bored stares. A lot of cats tend to ignore me. I guess I look rather silly when I act like this toward animals but who cares. It's funny.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Some cats just stare at me like I'm crazy when I talk to them D:
@stary1 (6622)
Jargoness I would be surprised if anyone doesn't talk to their cat...or even other peoples catssame goes for dogs... We have had a number of cats over the years and I talked to all of them, but only a few talked back with consistency...I don't know if it's common for a cat to talk back, but it's really cute
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
I actually know some people who think that talking to a cat is a silly thing to do, as if their sanity could be compromised if they tried to do that. :p
@Raine38 (9115)
I do not have a cat but my friends and my sister in law do. Most of them are very quiet they do not even meow. But when we were about to leave them in the house to go somewhere, OMG their mewls sound like they are crying.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
I once heard a cat that sounded exactly like a human baby. It was extremely creepy.
@joram328 (503)
Yes, I do talk to my cat. He's male and I call him Mungmung. He talks back to me when I ask him something as if he understands. He doesn't usually talk back to my sons but if it's me talking, he responds back. Maybe it's because I spoil him and I always cuddle him when I have time to do so. Yes, cats have different personalities too.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
Definitely, and their personality changes depending on who they are talking to.
@redredrose (1107)
I do not have any cats any more. I used to have 3 but they are gone now. Tho when i did have them i did talk to them and so did my hubby. Sometimes they'd meow back at us but usually they did not. Sometimes they'd cuddle up with us or rub on us when we talked to them. Now we have 2 dogs and hubby and i talk to them everyday. When we do they cuddle us with us or lick our faces. I'ts no so much even what you say but how you say it because i'm not sure they always understand what we say. My hubby showed me by cussing at one dog in a nice sweet soft loving voice and the dog came and licked his face. Then he said i love you in a harsh mean tone and the dog walked away lol. Tho still i think you should say nice things to your pets in a nice sweet loving caring voice because it makes them feel good when you talk to them. I have seen this by talking to my pets and they lick my face or cuddle with me.
@Jargoness (1193)
• Israel
XD Yeah, I don't think animals like being talked to in a harsh tone. They're sensitive!