I will not support the US

@911Ricki (13602)
I went to the grocery store, I was talking to the produce man (he grw up with my parents), said within 2 days the veggies are going to skyrocket, he is meaning 4 - 6 x the cost they regularly are. All food from the US, is skyrocketting as well, this means any boxed food, supplies, etc. I got my veggies today, only to find they were frozen, and tossed half out, then rotten pieces, I end up with 3 days of veggies instead of 7 days. I paid $5.00 for 1 head of Romaine lettuce and the price is going up. So I started walking around the store, and picking things out that were from any other country, Canada, Mexico, Thailand, even the UK. I most likely wont be buying name brand items as they are made in the US or the regular type items. I got some noodles from Thailand, another bag of noodles from China, some fruit from Mexico and some veggies from Mexico, and Canada. I even had to ask the cashiers whether some items were from the US, and ended up putting them back because they were. My entire family is doing the same thing, and 5 of my friends as well. It's all the items from the US that are 4 - 6 x the cost now, and it's suppose to stay this way at least for the summer. I want no part of it, if you don't get the quality for the money, and they have some stupid reason for this.
• Marion, Kansas
It will go up on all products, not just those in the US. It has to do with transportation costs. I am sure you produce some foods in Canada and I would make it a priority to buy made in Canada products, and in your shoes I would be sure to plant lots of greens when the weather is a little warmer. Greens like cooler weather and so would be a great crop for you. The fact that your veggies you bought were frozen has to do with the store you purchased them from, not the country they come from. If they are in bad shape when they come in the store should not put them out. If they are in good shape it is up to the store to keep them fresh. Your prices have always seemed higher than ours.
@911Ricki (13602)
TheUS wants more money so tehy are on strike, and limited the amount of products to Canada. I am not paying this ridiculous prices, so they can get more money. They get frozen from the delivery and how they pack them in the truck, not the store. If they put out the good quality products they wouldn't have any out on the shelf. I should take a picture of the produce, it's half rotten always, and frozen. You have to pick through and pick the one least rotten, it's disgusting the US could get away with this, and yet still get paid. The things from Mexico are very plentiful, and packed properly. My sister boyfriend and my brother worked in a grocery store, the horror stories.
@Bluedoll (17152)
I don't understand how they can ship things around the world and end up with cheaper quality product, doesn't shipping cost money too? Anyway, I think my priority is to support my tummy with quality without going bankrupted. I like the local markets but they only exist seasonally. Last year we had drought and the local potatoes were the size of an egg. Not a great buy. I was glad to see some USA potatoes that looked in my eyes at that time huge. Actually, the economy might not be the only thing to consider, maybe climate change will dominate $.
@kprofgames (3025)
Had heard the same about the rising cost of food. I have a farm place and thought about moving back on to it. If milk gets much higher, think going to buy a damn cow and milk it myself.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
Mexicans things even sent to canada? wow.. never knew that. I knew avocados were sent from here to other countries.
@911Ricki (13602)
Yep, I think avocadees were one, oranges, bananas, and I think some apples. I know there was more but I dont buy it.
• Mexico
really,all those are expensive here. Youd think if grown here, theyd give us a price break...not
@BarBaraPrz (17361)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
I was in Fortino's today and almost fainted when I saw the display of english cucumbers priced at $2.29 each! I didn't check to see where they were from, though.
@vandana7 (57218)
You would get a good quality one out here for half a dollar..
@vandana7 (57218)
Come to India...food is fairly cheap...though quality is a suspect.
@kingparker (9698)
I notice the price is going up for most of the produce items as I shop with my parents on Monday morning. In the supermarket, the price just went up double, or 50%. I don't know what is the reason for it, probably the storm hinder the transportation at some states, or probably the harvest wasn't so great for this year. Maybe you were getting something from the U.S. plus the cross country tariff fees, that is why the price is jumping up quickly.
Unfortunately, we still have to deal with the higher prices and I live here!! :( The governement are finding many ways to take every penny we earn....higher taxes and higher prices.Pretty soon, I'll be working for them to take it all away!! :/
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
What is causing the skyrocketing prices? I live in Puerto Rico after living in New York for 45 years and three years in New Mexico. Thankfully I have alot of veggies and fruits growing in my backyard year round now. I hate when produce is so expensive in the stores because they don't taste as good as if you grew them yourself. So for me the quality for sure is not worth the price in the stores. I have bananas, plaintain, mangos, breadfruit, starfruit, tomatoes, avocados, green peppers,cucumbers, eggplants, calabaza, which is a type of pumpkin that you can put into stews and beans. We also have guanabana which is a fruit that can kill cancer cells 10,000 times better then chemo or radition. I make a drink out of this fruit. Not to mention we are waiting for pineapple, orange and lemon trees to give fruit which takes about 4 to 5 years. Nothing better then eating organic from the seed or plant that you planted in the ground yourself. I would be doing the same as you not buying US if I lived in the states. I think I would have to have a greenhouse though. Good luck!
@stealthy (8189)
Prices are going up in the US because of the drought here and because the cost of gasoline is going up. It isn't some plot like you are trying to make is sound. Another reason that our prices are going up here is because of demand from other countries. Do you really think that things grown just in the countries you mentioned can meet the demand if nothing is imported from the US? It is fine with me, perhaps then the prices here won't go up as much.
Where I live now, there is often rotten veggies. Where we moved from, there was less unusable foods and also a more broad selection of organic foods. Here, I cannot buy organic produce as it is always bad. I have noticed prices going up on some things, and I am in the US!
@suspenseful (40326)
I am very careful with what I buy as long as it is quality. You cannot blame the Americans, blame the one in charge who is raising the taxes on things and on the ordinary people. He is making sure that the prices of American food goes up so that the people in America have to pay more because he hates Americans. So don't support him. It could be the store you do to. I know that Superstore does not wash their vegetables and produce as much. Wait until food comes from Chile.
@Dominique25 (9476)
Yeah it is awful to see the prices go up so high. It really doesn't make any sense and is ridiculous. My husband and I are often complaining about how expensive everything is getting. Gas keeps going up for no reason, the price of milk and everything else. It's just non sense.