Blackberries

I only recently began growing blackberries in my garden. I bought a cane from a local nursery for a good price and it's made it through the winter, thanks to covering my garden beds with tarps and slipping a lamp under the tarp to provide a little bit of warmth. When I planted my blackberry cane, I made a hole with my hands and added a little sand to the existing bed of Miracle Gro, organic soil mix, compost, worm castings and biodegraded mulch. I planted my blackberry cane against the trellis system I had installed for the peas and beans, because blackberry canes and vines need support, too. Last year, I had a small first crop. For about a month or two, I was able to pick berries for breakfast each morning, then a few more would be ripe for appetizers in the afternoon and evening. Hopefully, I will get enough blackberries to can this year.
@urbandekay (18312)
Blackberries grow wild here, in fact it is a job to stop them growing! When we were kids my cousin and I made a drink from them, I can't remember the details but we thought it was special in fact we kept it a big secret. Blackberries are a favourite jam of mine all the best, urban
@urbandekay (18312)
I mean blackberry and apple jam all the best, urban
Hey urban. We have wild blackberries here, too, but folks call them dewberries. They're everywhere along the side of the road. When they're in season, you can see people pull their trucks over to the side and step out all covered up so they won't get scratched by the thorns, carrying pails to sit on and extra buckets for harvesting.
@urbandekay (18312)
Good, the wild ones taste better too. We also have wild strawberries that are small but with a superb taste. all the best, urban
@wolfie34 (26793)
Generally blackberries grow wild in our country, they are brambles usually seen as a damn nuisance as they spread like wildfire and they are also very painful and prickly, but they do at least bear fruit, even if they trail and grow absolutely anywhere. They are also a favourite for the bugs and the birds, so it's a race to get to them first.
Wild blackberries do indeed spread readily. And yes, I've done my share of morning and afternoon picking to best the bugs and birds.