I wouldn't want to wear that.

Have you ever seen people in chicken suits on the side of the road holding a sign? I thought it would be embarrassing, but no one can actually see your face, so maybe the person in the suit doesn't care. You know what I mean? They're holding a sign, trying to get you to come visit a fast food place that sells chicken. I feel bad for them in the summer because it has to be so hot. But they are doing their best to earn a living. It came to mind when I saw the picture I've included in the discussion. I don't think I would want to wear that hat. And then I thought of all the people who had to wear things I'm sure they'd rather not. It also makes me think of the girls who work at Hooters. I realize their tips are higher because of their scantily clad selves, but does that bother them at all? Probably not as much as wearing a pirate hat would. Have you ever had a job where you had to wear an embarrassing outfit?
I have never had to wear something embarrassing for work but a friend of mine had to for her job. She had to dress as Elmo because she worked for a company who did parties for kids. She said the worst part was like you said how hot it was under there, how bad it smelled due to other people being too hot when they wore it and she said she only got paid minimum wage to do it! She didn't do it very long, mostly because the pay was not worth it...Can't say I blame her!
Amyra - This is the hat they put on Amyra when my sister and BIL had breakfast at Krispy Kreme a couple of weeks ago.
Ew. I didn't get to put the picture in my discussion how I meant to, so here it is.
Yeah, she said not everyone wears deodorant apparently! LOL. Pretty gross but the way she said it was really funny!
@chiyosan (30205)
I do not think my work and previous companies did ever require us something like that. I have never really worked for fast food chains but yeah i have seen those nasty outfits and they just have to wear them so they would catch attention. Mostly people who wears them gives out fliers to the people walking by. Common though are the people who works extra as mascots... poor them they had to wear those and be nice parading around malls or the whole restaurants for an hour especially when there are events. We really have to give it to these people who tries to earn decent money regardless if they are not comfortable with their costumes.
@katsmeow1213 (29044)
Most of the jobs I've had have had embarrassing outfits to go with.. especially the nasty green tunic looking thing I had to wear when I worked at a grocery store, and the bright yellow and blue shirt I had to wear at a gas station. I think my oldest would actually love to wear a costume and dance at the side of the road.. as long as it wasn't 100 degrees outside!
@ARIES1973 (9539)
• Legaspi, Philippines
Hi AmbiePam! I never tried a job like that. But if ever that would be the kind of job that I do, I wouldn't be embarrassed. What is important is that I have a job and I am not asking others for food and most importantly the money that I earn came from my own hard work and not from cheating other people. Have a great day!
Very true.
@Raine38 (9193)
I have never had to wear something embarrassing to work, actually we have uniforms and we have to wear corporate outfits. But when we were in college, we did this experiment on sociology. So we asked a famous fast food chain to let us wear their mascot suit and hand out flyers in front of their store. We played rock paper scissor to see who among us will wear the suit. My other classmate lost so she has to do it. After a while, while relating to us the experience, she broke down and cried and her heart really went to whoever needs to do that on a daily basis. She encountered snotty people, kids who teased her, people who messed up her flyers and make her pick them up just to see if she will topple over. Then she also encountered young kids who will embrace the suit, who waves and says hi to her, and those who ask if she's okay.
That's so sad that people were actually mean to her.
@ElicBxn (60894)
As you know, I do home health. Most people seem to wear scrubs, but I don't like them, and I need a shirt with a collar, so I guess people don't realize that I'm Maggie's helper sometimes.
I don't like wearing uniforms of any kind. they are disgusting to me. So,I would have to say my mc donald's outfit because it made me look cheap.
I have worn clown outfits, but they were my own and I made them myself and did not share them. So that was not too bad. I really do not like to wear hats of any kind and I had to when doing product demos. I do not recall ever having to wear anything that embarrassed me except clothes my mom picked out., but I think you and SCG are right, a character outfit worn by others would be really stinky.
@trisha27 (3498)
I'd never worked a job were I had to wear an embarrassing outfit. But I have to agree with you that I wouldn't want to wear something like a chicken suit even though you couldn't see my face. But I wouldn't want to wear that, because it does get really hot here and I can't stand the heat. But I see people around here like that all the time wearing those costumes for work. There are even people that or out waving around signs to come into a office and get their income taxes done. Some people are dressed up as uncle sam while others are dressed up like lady liberty. I wouldn't mind wearing those over the chicken outfit.
@winterose (39917)
great discussion by the way. No I don't think I could work in a place where I had to wear something I felt was inappropriate or just plain stupid. I am too self-conscious for that.
Me too. Thanks.
@Porcospino (18796)
• Denmark
I have had many jobs in health care where I had to wear a uniform, but I have never had a job where I had to wear an embarrasing outfit. I once walked around in the street wearing an orange clown wig as part of a psychology experiment. We wanted to find out how people would react. I felt embarrassed at first, but after a while I found the experiment quite interesting. If had no job and no money and someone offered me a job as a chicken would accept the job. It would probably be a little strange to walk around dressed like a chicken, but it wouldn't bother me much and I don't that it was the worse job that I could get.
very true
@STOUTjodee (3480)
Old Country Buffet Mascot - The bumble bee that I wore was similar to this.
Oh, my gosh, YES, I have been a mascot i na suit before. I use to work at an Old Country Buffet one time and was their bumble bee mascot. They do have air vents and I just wore it around in the store where it was air conditioned though
Wow!
I have never had the kind of job where I had to wear an embarrassing suit and I couldn't possibly be paid enough in order to wear something embarrassing like that so that I would be able to get a paycheck. When I was younger this might have been something that I would have been willing to do because getting a job is something that does tend to be hard to come by when we are pretty young. But as an adult with some work history, I wouldn't be able to do it.
@hotsummer (10449)
Yeah no one would see my face but i don't like the fact they said or I have heard it's not inside the suit. That's one thing i can't bear
@blackrusty (3530)
• Mexico
i never had to wear something like that i see thinks like that here in mexico and with the heat i dont think a person can stay in that for very long
@sender621 (14956)
[em]confused[]It is not every day that you would be asked to wear a chicken suit or any other type of costume alog the roadside. It would certainly be a different experience. I think it would only be embarrassing if you were embarrassed to wear the costume and do the job. Nobody would know that it was you so embarrassment from others would be less of a worry to have.
hi ambiepam I have thank goodness never had to wear anythingh that was embarrassing like chicken suits. but when I was working as an nurses aide it was mandatory to wear a white uniform white stockings and white shoes too. woe be to any one who did any differently. Now days they wear pretty pants suits in pastels with sometimes a pretty patterned top not like the old white days.They wear comfortable shoes in any color and those pretty pastel pants suits and look so much more approachable.
@kokomo (1868)
As far as I know I did not yet wear such embarrassing outfit just to earn a living. Well, thanks to my parents for being so industrious and they did not allow me to experience such thing. I feel pity for them.
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
We do have people dressed up out here but mostly as Pirates or something. Not in hot suits. I have seen this in the U.K. and the USA and have wondered how they felt. Probably they were desperate for a job and all work is honourable. But, to answer yur question, no, I have never done this in my life. I've only donned a very concealing waitress' uniform when I worked during the holidays whilst at school. But if I was desperate? I really don't know but would not like to be in that position at all
@sacmom (14315)
Yes, not in a chicken suit, but I saw a person in a Mr. Pickles costume yesterday. I've also seen ones for Lady Liberty during tax time as well. I personally wouldn't want to wear something like that. Not just because it's embarrassing or hot during the warmer months, but because who knows where the heck it's been or who's been wearing it. I for one am just not into that. I hate to say it, but that totally freaks me out! I've been very fortunate so far. I've never had to wear an outfit like that. Hopefully I never have to. However, when it comes to making a living I may just have to resort to that!