Do you need your own air space?

When people talk to you do you care how close they are to you? I need my air space like a circle around me. I feel like people are too close and I will just back up. there are a very few people who can stand right by my side and talk to me.. very few.. those people I trust with my life. I feel crazy in the head when people are right up on me like they are about to attack me at any moment. I know it sounds crazy but look who is posting this.. lol. at one time in my life my daughter could not stand close to me. I did not feel comfortable at all. I think it was that year she changed for the worst. not realizing it the other day we were hip to hip in the kitchen just doing our own thing and talking. it never crossed my mind till a short while ago the great feeling that was surrounding me while she was here. it made me feel warm and cozy in this house. I almost slept in the living room with her. but,she needs the tv on and I needed to sleep in the dark.
@jenny1015 (13389)
You would feel to have that "space" around you when you are with other people. But if it was your own daughter or someone dear to you, you wouldn't really mind how close he/she gets.
@dee777 (1418)
• South Africa
Amazingly true jenny1015. When it's my own, I do not mind. I feel very uncomfortable when other people stand too close to me.
I tend to believe that all people need to have their bubble as I call it. For some people the bubble of space that they need to feel comfortable is a bubble that is relatively small while for other people the bubble that the need is really big. I tend to be somewhere in the middle when it comes to the size that I need my bubble to be. I can stand to be hip to hip with someone and talking to them. However, I cannot stand for someone to be so close to my face that I can feel them breathing all the time when we are talking.
@sizzle3000 (3040)
I like telling people about personal bubbles. I can't stand people being too close and they need to back off. It hasn't actually happened lately but I really hate it when it does. I think my daughter actually hit someone for it at one point. It was high school but still. Some people just don't get the hint.
@Porcospino (18396)
• Denmark
When I was a nursing student we had a day where we performed different experients related to nursing. One of the topics was our personal space. We worked together in pairs and our partner had stand really close to us as part of the experiment. I still remember the feeling, it was really uncomfortable. I just wanted to step back when she came too close, but I couldn't do that because I standing next to the wall. The experiment surpriced me. I had heard about personal space before, but in this experiment I discovered in person what it was like when another perso invaded my personal space, and the urge to step back was very strong.
@miryanag (348)
• Bulgaria
It is perffectly normal . Nobody likes someone invading their personal space. In body language it menas threat. For example which animal alouds other animal to get in it's face.
That is called your personal space and some people need more of it than others. It is like a big invisible bubble all around you and when people get too close it can make you anxious and uncomfortable. Mostly I only need a small personal space, except when I am cooking. I guess it does depend on the person, as well.