Butterfly Gardening

Last year the butterflies were highly attracted to a particular marigold in my garden. I did some reading up on butterflies and gardening and it turns out that it was a French marigold, which butterflies enjoy very much. They also liked the zinnias and cosmos I had seeded next to the French marigold plant. In addition to Monarchs and plain buttery yellows, some of the butterflies that showed up at my garden last year were black and white. Those are zebra swallowtails and they eat parsley, which I also had. I'm reading up some more now on butterfly gardening, and as I have just planted several cabbage plants, it seems I can expect common white cabbage butterflies as a result. The trees that provide a windbreak around my garden beds also help create the perfect environment for butterflies to live in my garden. I'm looking forward to learning more about butterfly gardening.
I was just wondering about the caterpillars. I am vary of them as they eat up a lot of leaves. How do you look at such a problem? I do have a few butterflies around but not that many. Here is a video where I captured a moment with a butterfly in my garden. http://youtu.be/P2Exv3RCyh8
Wow, allknowing, nice butterfly video! I caught some video of a caterpillar in my garden last year, but I'll have to find it once I pass 500 rating here at mylot. You're right that, as caterpillars, future butterflies do eat a good bit of greenery. However, I think the pollination they provide is worth it. The greenery will grow back. So I'm still very much in favor of butterfly gardening.
Would love to see your caterpillar video. As for me I am forever on the look out for capturing whatever I can lay my hands on. I have several birds that come and enjoy in the bird bath that I have installed for them and ofcourse most of the fruits are also for them. I have several videos on these lovely creatures, including peacocks.
I would like to get a new camera (old one broke) and capture more video of the many butterflies in their different life stages that visit my gardens. Hopefully there will be even more of them this year.
@wolfie34 (26894)
We don't get many butterflies in our garden, occasional red admiral, we try to encourage ladybirds as ladybirds are the gardeners friend, they eat the aphids that attack our green beans. I guess having varied plants that attract certain butterflies to your garden.
Is ladybirds the UK term for what we call ladybugs in the States? I imagine they would respond well to butterfly gardening. I get a ton of ladybugs and butterflies over here.
@wolfie34 (26894)
I think ladybugs sounds much better, yes they are the same I didn't realize they were named differently.