26,000 missing in Mexico

Mexico
reported by cnn news 26,000 people have been reported missing in Mexico over the last 6 years Mexico's Interior Ministry announced the staggering statistic on Tuesday but noted that authorities don't have data about how many of the disappearances are connected with organized crime. The 26,121 disappearances occurred during former President Felipe Calderon's six-year administration, which ended on December 1 when Enrique Pena Nieto assumed the presidency. Pena Nieto's government has formed a special working group to focus on finding the missing, said Lia Limon, deputy secretary of legal matters and human rights for Mexico's Interior Ministry. Locating people "is a priority for this government," Limon told reporters. The release of the government statistics Tuesday comes several days after a report from Human Rights Watch said Mexican security forces were connected with the disappearances of at least 149 people during Calderon's tenure. Are armed forces behind disappearances? Community police take on Mexican cartels "President Pena Nieto has inherited one of worst crises of disappearances in the history of Latin America," Jose Miguel Vivanco, the organization's Americas director, said in a statement. In the northern Mexican state of Coahuila alone, officials reported nearly 2,000 disappearances between 2006 and 2012, Human Rights Watch said. Rights groups and activists have long said that forced disappearances are among the most troubling problems Mexico faces and have cautioned that reliable statistics are hard to come by because many such cases are unreported. The human toll of Mexico's drug war Limon said Tuesday that the data federal authorities have don't specify what caused the disappearances. She said the list could include people who have emigrated out of the country or fled because of family conflicts, in addition to people who were kidnapped. Authorities will need several weeks to release data about the number of disappearances since Pena Nieto took office, she said, due to "inconsistencies" in the data. Critics have accused Mexico's government of not doing enough to find the missing and punish those responsible. In many instances, families frustrated with a sluggish response from authorities have searched themselves for missing loved ones. here is the complete story http://us.cnn.com/2013/02/26/world/americas/mexico-disappeared/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
@owlwings (39049)
• Cambridge, England
If you keep copying and pasting stuff wholesale, you will find yourself removed. When the Guidelines say "DON'T ... Post copyrighted articles or photos please link to them." that is exactly what it means. Just copying and pasting stuff, even if you put a link afterwards, is NOT on!
• Mexico
I was warned already by go ask alice she told me it was ok to do it how I did this one as long as i put a link to it and who it was reported by thank you and i will send her a message again to have her check to make sure that i was in the right and or have her delete it for me
@owlwings (39049)
• Cambridge, England
GoAskAlice is actually a "he". (His predecessor was female, however, he decided to keep the account because of the lierary/musical association). As I understand it (and GAA is at liberty to confirm or deny this), provided that the discussion topic text is significantly 'original', it is OK to post a copied passage - a paragraph or three - as a quotation and with an attribution, at least, (and, preferably a link) to the source. What is NOT acceptable is to copy and paste something in its entirety, without adding anything of your own, which is what you have done here (with the exception of some very minor additions). In other words, MyLot is interested in original contributions which may, of course, be supported or illustrated by external sources. Limited quotations are allowed (though it should always be clear that they are quotations) and proper attribution should be made. You will probably find, by the way, that very long discussion topics will, on the whole, receive fewer responses. It is better to keep the discussions you post concise and to the point (but still descriptive, of course).
@owlwings (39049)
• Cambridge, England
* literary
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
I saw today where 126 people are kidnapped every day here in Mexico. very sad. :(
I think most of them must be up here. Even in our town I am beginning to see more people from South of the Border. I see them more and more in the chiropractor's office and wonder if they are trying to show they are disabled so they can get on disability.
• Mexico
this has nothing to do with Mexican people coming to the us for medical to get disability they will be denied for the fact that they are not americans its about people being kidnapped or what ever here in mexico
That not what I hear. The immigrants are what people in California are complaining about who are getting free care etc.
@winterose (39921)
yep I am afraid to live in foreign countries just too much crime and bad politics going on in these countries. I live in Canada and several Canadians have been killed in resorts in Mexico.
• Mexico
I am an american i do live in mexico i have moved just enough over the border to be here but i try to keep myself safe at all times