she thinks they are her babies

@911Ricki (13602)
I came home between jobs, to find the hamster food (which was on a high shelf) all over the floor. Patches climbs up to watch the hamster. I happen to look over, and see her in the guinea pigs cage in their bed. She wasn't bugging them, just letting them sleep beside her. I took her out flipping out, my friend said her cats does this and snuggles them as if they were her babies.
@savypat (20248)
You were very lucky she wasn't keeping them warm for breakfast. Any and all rodents around here are fair game for house cats.
@911Ricki (13602)
That's what I was worried about her attacking them. I would never leave her alone with them when I was at work.
Our old Kitty used to do that. She would "kidnap" baby bunnies, other cat's kittens even a set of jack Russell puppies once and try to nurse them and would care for them. She was fixed but they hadn't gotten all the glands out so she would go into heat then would want babies. The people with the other cat thought it was funny the people down the street with the Jack Russel purebreds not so much . Called animal control said we had a "mad" cat.. they laughed at them. We actually let her keep a set of bunnies that where just old enough to eat bunny food. We had them for three and four years and until they passed she mothered them the whole time.
Guinea pigs are definitely the right size that it would be easy for the maternal instinct for a female cat to come out and she could start to think that they were her babies. With that said, I do think that it is important that you make sure that Patches does learn that the guinea pigs are not her babies because of the fact that there is always that chance that she could accidentally hurt them at some point without even meaning to.
@911Ricki (13602)
That's why I was so spooked, I am araid she may hurt them. She has several times gotten in the cage (normally when my Dad goes in and plays with them then lets her in), I have caught her once swatting at them. I think she just likes the cages for some reason I bought one from teh shelter, and was going to make it up for her.
@machatago (385)
Well at least your cat has a soft spot for these little critters. Maybe she just wants to be friendly with them. They need love and maybe she found it in those guinea pigs.
@911Ricki (13602)
I think she likes their cage, she always snuggles up in the guina pig cage, or rabbit cage whether they are in it. I got her a cage for her, and will set it up with some straw in it.
@dainy1313 (2354)
• Leon, Mexico
Thanks you for sharing this lovely story, it´s amazing tender. Blessings Ricki... dainy
@911Ricki (13602)
It is, cute should of took a picture.
Some animals are great caregivers. I believe they do love much the same way that we do. We can love people who aren't related to us and I feel it's the same with cats and dogs.
Aww, that is so cute! It's funny she does that, you'd think she'd want to go after the guinea pig and hamster, not cuddle them lol. Too sweet!
@BarBaraPrz (15188)
• Hamilton, Ontario
Well, they are all one great big happy family...