Container Gardening

Container gardening is a great way to grow your own produce in a small space or make things easier on yourself due to aging or other disabilities. If you live in a small home or apartment, a container garden on your patio or balcony can reduce your grocery costs and increase your health by eliminating harmful pesticides, ripening agents and preservatives from your diet. There's also the earth-friendly advantage of your food not having been shipped about for thousands of miles. It just doesn't get any fresher than being fresh-picked from your own plants just a few steps from your kitchen. Container gardening has become even easier with the advent of seed discs. Seed discs are circles of paper that have seeds embedded into them. All you have to do is put some soil in your pots, add your seed discs, cover with more soil and mulch and water well. Other boons for container gardeners are self watering pots. Vertical gardening, which includes the upside down hanging planters that grow abundant yields of tomatoes, strawberries and herbs, is a hot trend in container gardening these days.
I have never looked at gardening to substitute our income in any way but an outlet to satiate my appetite for seeing things grow. When we were living in the Metro we had no space for gardening except a balcony where we used to have pots. I have grown tomatoes and brinjals. I had a craze for roses and succeeded in producing a number of them. Here where I live, roses do not do well but have tried growing them in pots. I have a few of them on my terrace. I have quite a number of other pots too in front of my house.
Sounds like your container gardening is doing quite well for you these days, all. Hope it continues.
I understand you, allknowing. Although I harvest a bit from my veggie garden, the most important part of it is watching the unfolding of life. I talk to my plants and encourage them to grow.
Every single day brings in new hope. What else can one want in life?
@velvet53 (17719)
• Palisade, Colorado
Right now I have 6 grapefruit trees growing from seed. I want to try my luck with other fruits and vegetables in my apartment. I have a 55 gallon aquarium that I am going to use just for this purpose. I sure hope things grows for me.
Hey velvet, nice to see you. I've never even thought about growing fruit trees from seed or using an aquarium for container gardening before. Great ideas! Glad it's going well for you at your apartment.
@velvet53 (17719)
• Palisade, Colorado
The aquarium works great as a mini greenhouse. My plants really thrive in there. The grapefruit seeds I put in a wet paper towel inside a zipped bag then set them on my hot water tank until they rooted a little. It was a trial and error but some made it. I counted my plants and I have 52 in this place. They are taking over :)
Hey velvet, 52 is a pretty great number of plants to be container gardening indoors, especially in an aquarium. You grow, girl!
@prashu228 (25516)
Hi yes we maintain terrace garden. I agree its a good exercise too. We can get fresh vegetables. As of now we are growing eggplants ,tomatoes, mint, beans and methi sometimes ridge gourd too. The satisfaction and the happiness we get in unexplainable.
That's great that you're enjoying container gardening, prashu. What is methi, please?
@prashu228 (25516)
its Fenugreek
That's wonderful! I've heard a lot of good things about fenugreek. It must be wonderful to include that in your container gardening endeavors. What does it look like?
@anuraa32 (2452)
I didnt know about these seed disks existed. I use normal packet seeds. I am into making my own kitchen garden and it is going to be in containers.
Hey anuraa, how's it going? I haven't tried the seed disks yet, myself, but they sure sound like a great invention for container gardening. By the way, since you are doing a kitchen garden, did you know you can use teacups for smaller things? They fit on your windowsill or patio table and look really pretty.
@anuraa32 (2452)
Hey that seems like a really good idea. And I have some left over tea cups from a tea set I dont use anymore.
@roshigo58 (4871)
• Pune, India
Hi, it is very nice idea of container gardening. I haven't heard about seed discs. it is a new concept for me. My wife is fond of gardening. We had snail garden around our previous house. But we have to leave our own house and garden. our existing house is a temporary house for us. We are in search of a new house. so we can not plant any plant.
Nice to meet you, roshigo. It's nice that you have a wife who enjoys gardening. I'm so sorry you had to leave your former garden behind when you moved. But I look forward to hearing whenever you find a new home and she gets to establish a new container garden, at least. The seed discs will give her a head start. She might also consider bag gardening, in which you lay out bags of soil, such as Miracle Gro, with drainage holes poked in the bottom, and planting X's in the top, and the seed discs tucked inside the X's. ZThen you just pour mulch for looks and water. This is a fast results, easy care form of container gardening, when you have space for it.
@ARIES1973 (9539)
• Legaspi, Philippines
Hi belinda! Having my own garden is also one of my dreams. However, as I've mentioned on my previous response, as of now I cannot devote time to it. Actually, prior to my transfer in this place, I also have some flowering plants in our garden but since this place is not a good place to plant and my time won't permit, that is why I cannot go into this hobby. Hopefully, in the days to come I could also engage myself in this particular activity. Have a great day!
I, too, hope you can return to the many pleasures of container gardening someday, ARIES. Simply caring for the plants with watering, fertilizing and mulching, then enjoying their beauty is so calming and restorative.
@wolfie34 (26792)
I guess I have been lucky in this respect in that all the places that I have lived have big gardens, and I have been healthy enough and fit enough to be able to get around, and tend to them, I guess as I get older I will probably see container gardening as more of a necessity, you can still achieve a lot as you so rightfully said.
Heya wolfie! You are indeed lucky to have been blessed with large gardens while you are young and fit. Like you, my grandmother went through several gardens in different locations in the span of a lifetime, concluding with her one acre hilltop garden in retirement. But she still maintained a simple greenhouse filled with a host of container gardening plants. For her container gardening, she relied on a dropper bottle of Scott's and an old milk jug for water.
@coffeebreak (17820)
I have always wanted this but living in apartments never was able to do it. I tried in the last apt to grow strawberries, but they didn't grow! But now in my first home, in the desert...just to hot things won't grow and with dust/sand instead of real dirt...things just don't grow. I have thought about buying dirt, but then my problem is the pots. I have some huge clay pots and had flowers in them, but with the heat of the sun and I don't know what else, the pots have been kind of decaying (I guess could call that) and white is showing on the outside of the pots...I don't know what the deal is with that. But my main problem is the sun/heat. So I have given up on growing anything! I have some mint growing, might take off, but I'll see. Mint is extremely hardy so if it won't grow, nothing will! I have it in a clay pot with potting soil. I think it'd be fun, frugal and enjoyable to have a little garden on the patio!
Hey coffee, nice to meet you. My first thought in response to your comment on container gardening was edible cacti. Edible cacti would be easy to grow in containers in a desert environment. You could start with aloe vera, prickly pear and agave. The white stuff on your pots could easily be minerals from the water you're using. Another gardening friend is experimenting with Japanese varietals that do well in extreme conditions. I'll share them when he has good results to report.