Too much anti bacterial is not safe to be used?

@chiyosan (29383)
Philippines
March 2, 2013 3:59am CST
So this morning, my mom and I went to the grocery store (as we always do every weekends). We were at the isle buying downy with anti-bacterial. We liked the smell and that it is "anti-bacterial" to begin with. Mom has been using it for sometime now. But there is this one lady that said she found out that using it all the time is not too safe after all. She said she read is somewhere and she discovered that the bacterias may eventually resist and grow even stronger. I tried to read some articles online and somewhat confirmed this too. What is your take? Do you also use antibacterial products in your home? Body soap, hand soaps, fabric conditioners, toilet cleaners...? Here is an article related to the discussion. http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Antibacterial_cleaning_products
6 responses
@lynboobsy11 (11346)
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
I used soap and cleaning toilet products with anti- bacterial I think it is necessary since most germs are present in the toilet and in our hands. Another part of the house like outside still has many germs although we can't control them but we can prevent them inside the house. Our air has many viral bacteria that we can absorb that we can get sick antibacterial cleaning products is useless if it has no bacteria to kill.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
hi lyn, thank you very much for your response. that is true. even if we do try as hard to clean up our homes and use many different products that promises a lot, it is still our natural way of making our surrounding clean, and our natural body defenses that helps us deflect any germs, or bacterias around us ;) thank you and have a great da.
@prashu228 (25811)
• India
2 Mar 13
hi yes we cannot avoid using anti bacterial products these days. so better we should not continue it for more days and try to change it .so that the bacteria wont get used to the product.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
this is also what was advised to us, prashu. thank you very much. we were told not to use it regularly and to alternate usages of anti bacterial to a non antibacterial sometime. =)
@jenny1015 (13389)
• Philippines
3 Mar 13
Well, yeah. I try to buy products that are anti-bacterial. But if can really be doing us more harm than good, then what are we supposed to do knowing that the presence of these bacteria may cause health issues in our family?
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
4 Mar 13
I think what we can do is to use anti bacterial products alternate with other cleaners that don't have triclosan.
@clocks123 (1228)
• United States
2 Mar 13
i just use antibacterial gel on my hands especially when leaving a store, for example. i have an antibacterial spray in the house as well to deodorize and disinfect things i think need to be sprayed. i don't use it anywhere else. it could be true as in the usage of too many antibiotics. too much antibiotics can make a person resistant to antibiotics in the future.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
4 Mar 13
That is true. It was also advisable that we use these on extreme occasions where we do need to disinfect or hands. Our bodies though resistant to the bacteria to an extent we b can also be immune to them.
@kprofgames (3018)
• United States
2 Mar 13
Yes it's true, but think more if it's a person that tries to sterilize their homes. A person needs to be exposed some germs, it is what keeps their immune system in check for fighting off the germs that are in the air. I don't think the use of one product, anti-bacterial soap, can cause you more harm than good;however if you overhaul your home with products, self and spray down your company/family with disinfectant everytime they come home you're taking too many germs away so our bodies can't naturally adapt to them.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
4 Mar 13
Hi v there. I think that is correct. I don't really know about Mom as I she I was always b the one thinks of trying out b all these b products with antibacterial agents. Thank you so much for your response.
@prashu228 (25811)
• India
2 Mar 13
Hi yes that's true. Using the same kind of anti bacterial things makes them(bacteria) or(micro organisms) resist .They develop the immunity to the chemical. so its not advisable to use too much or continusly. For example if we use the mosquito coils or liquid continually they develop the resist and won't die after sometime.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
hi there prashu. thank you so much for your response ;) Well yes i guess the bacteria are evolving as well so yeah they became immune to the anti bacterial agent. :D
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
Too much of everything is bad. Even to much of good things is bad. As for the Anti Bacterial, bacteria do evolve for certain time. While we are using anti bacterial to kill them, they will eventually become immune to it. Fortunately, there are still many ways that we can do so that we can avoid being infected by bacteria.
@chiyosan (29383)
• Philippines
2 Mar 13
Hi there! thank you so much for your response. =) i read about it that with anti-bacterial they were only used to stop the bacterias from multiplying, but the bacterias aren't killed. I guess this the the reason why they can be ineffective if given the long time. Yes, fortunately there are alternatives too when it comes to us finding ways to "clean" the household.