Beware of Dog

@savypat (20248)
My Daughter put this notice on our gate. Her boxer has become so protective that we can no longer trust him around strangers. But I wonder if the delivery people will still come in? I'm glad she has a protective dog since she lives alone, but I do feel a little uneasy about how welcome people will feel to come and visit. I guess it's a sign of the times, we have had our county police cut as well as the state police. This means for us in the country protection is pretty much up to us. I want to set up a neighborhood watch group so that we can keep better watch on each other out here. Maybe the Daughter will like to do this. It would keep her in touch and out of trouble. She could take her dog with her.
@nyssa102 (749)
We had boxer dogs, so I know what you mean, they can be very protective of people in their family. is there a way you can leave special instructions for the delivery? for us, we tell them to just drop it over the fence, as our fence is chained. We have a very high incidence of dog napping in our area for dog fighting, so people often chain their gates shut. But you are doing a good idea. As for the neighborhood watch, very good as well. Just keep your cool, as there are a growing number of neighborhood watch groups that are starting to act like condo associations, I mean, they are getting really nosy. In my own neighborhood, and this is the truth, it is on their neighborhood watch facebook page, one watcher spotted a group of 6 young people drinking energy drinks, on a corner. I sat and watched that page as comment after comment filled up. The person was like "we have 6 youths on the corner, drinking energy drinks!" They actually sent out neighbors to keep them under surveillance. Watch groups are cool, but as long as neighborhoods do not turn into little Orwellian 1984 scenarios. LOVE Boxer dogs!
@Octav1 (1421)
Interesting idea that neighborhood watch group. What would that mean? Would some of the group go on patrol at any time of the day, or only during evening hours? I like the idea and I wish people would be so understanding to start such a group here. If they would, my wife and our dog would surely enter that group.
I really don't know how things are in your area, but in our area we don't tend to think of beware of dog notices as something that is dangerous but rather that there is a dog around and you should be conscious of the fact that there is a dog that you might have to deal with. That said, if the delivery people are somewhat familiar with the dog then I don't think this is going to be something that changes anything unless there are new delivery people that might come along.
@inu1711 (5288)
Don't worry about the welcomed people will feel to come and visit. If they really want to come, they'll understand the short "training session" that makes your daughter's boxer be friendly to the new visitors. They say once you get a dog, you'll see who are your true friends. Those who don't accept my dog are not welcome. People like the delivery guy will still come, no matter the sign. It's their job and they'll still do this even with the new sign on the gate. I remember the cable girl that used to come monthly to my place to collect the cable fee. She was terribly afraid of dogs. She used to ring the bell then quickly walk back four meters until I assured her the dog was closed in another room. Otherwise she didn't approach the door.
@wolfie34 (26881)
I remember at my friends house, her mother had put a big sign up at the door, Sod the dog, beware of the kids! I thought it was funny, although they had a dog that used to make me jump, everytime I knocked it would bark it's head off and sometimes her father would make the dog go for me. Now I am NOT a dog person, and if I saw a sign beware of the dog I would refuse to go past the gate, security is one thing, but there can be an overkill. Besides if the dog decided to bite someone they could be put down!
@inertia4 (26748)
We need vigilantes and exterminating crews. LOL. I always thought we should, what I call, exterminating crews. They would go around and stop crime of all kinds. And someone caught in the act of murder would be shot and killed on sites. Thats just what I think. I know that will never happen. Too bad though. It should be that the criminal is afraid of the people, not the people being afraid of the criminal.
Dogs can be taught not to bite but still sound mean.
@blackrusty (3532)
• Mexico
It is good that your trying to protect your home you can have delivers sent next door or when you order something have them put on label to honk this way you will know