Inside cat

@savypat (20246)
I need ideas for toys for an inside cat. It has become to dangerous for our cat to go outside, to many foxes. So we are keeping him inside but he needs exercise and we just don't know what to provide for him. He's about one year old. All Ideas are welcome. Thanks
@ElicBxn (60894)
A "fishing pole" is good, something tied to a long stick, that can be used to let you sit and play at a distance from your cat. Laser lights are also good, to a point, just have to be careful not to shine them in the cat, or anyone elses eyes.
@savypat (20246)
The laser light sounds good, the fishing pole may work for some, but Jack Cat just thinks it's silly
@yoyo1198 (3643)
I keep a length of yarn with a tassel at the end to use to keep my cat exercised. Just pull it around and hike it into the air and she chases it, buries it and gets exercised. She also likes a little soft mouse that I fill with catnip. She wakes me in the middle of the night throwing and chasing that thing around. The 'fishing pole' thingie mentioned is a good idea but I think I made my own with the yarn. I've found that she doesn't much go for the roll-around balls. Plus they get into places that aren't accessible for me to get back.
@ctryhnny (3463)
My 2 cats love the "fishing poles' and the laser light. They also make good use of their scratching posts. There are so many toys and they love them all so anything you would get for your cat to play with he would love...especially if he's just a year old...they even love grocery bags!
@dragon54u (31635)
Someone else mentioned a fishing pole toy and every cat loves that. Jack will love a little ball, even a crumpled up piece of paper to chase. Old socks are great for making toys--use part of the sock for stuffing and wrap some of the sock around it and tie it with a string. Cats also love bells that you tie onto things. Anything that he can bat around and chase, since cats are naturally hunters. Catnip is also very popular and you can wrap it in a sock. Paper bags are heaven for cats and it's so funny to watch them play in them! Actually, a cat will play with just about anything but they do like things that jump or roll. Some cats like to roll little spice containers filled with some pebbles or bells, others like to chase or bat things around. They are very easy to please!
@timetravel (1428)
My cats also love the "wand" toys - a stick with a string and toy attached to it. Laser lights are great - again, don't shine in anyone's - including a cat's - eyes. Most cats will respond to toys with catnip in them. You can make your own or purchase some. One of my cats loves these soft foam balls - they have a lot of bounce, and he looks like a mini-basketball player "dribbling" those balls. One year old cats of love those catnip mice, esp. the real tiny ones. Cats need ten to fifteen minutes of human/cat play interaction daily. Get a cardboard box, big enough for your cat to leap in and out of. Toss catnip toys in it - he'll go nutso! Any toys that roll, jingle, make chirpy sounds - those are toys a cat can "play" with by himself. Most cats also like toys they can pick up in their mouths - like the catnip mice or balls. When using a laser light, don't just limit the cat to the floor - let it "crawl" up the walls, stairs, etc. They will jump at it, trying to "catch" it on the wall.
I meant to add - if you have the money, or can make one yourself (loads of instructions on the internet!) - those climbing toys for cats are all the rage. The carpeted ones. The higher the "tower" the better - esp. if there are compartments they can go in and on.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
another inside cat?
We don't have one of these at our house, but this is something that I've seen a lot of people invest in for their indoor cats and that is a cat climber. There are some that look quite impeding in a house, but there are others that look a lot like an art piece in the house as well. Another thing that I think would be good for Jack to have in your house is some toy mice or balls with bells in them. I've also heard a lot of people say that a laser pointer can quickly become a favorite toy of cats and gets them a lot of exercise as well if you have time to play with him.