Daughter wants her ears pierced - but!

My daughter is 7 and a half. She has always had the choice to have her ears pierced. I don't believe in piercing babies' ears, to be honest it seems like a violation of their human rights to me. So I always said, if any of my kids had any piercings, it would be if and when they wanted them. A year or so ago, she didn't want her ears pierced, because when she asked me "does it hurt?" I did what I always do - I told her the truth. It does, for a few moments, and then its a little sore for a while afterwards, and you have to make sure you take care of the piercing for several weeks to stop it getting infected or healing up. But now we have talked about it again, as she told me she wants her ears pierced. She says she is ready now. But she is still a little scared of it hurting, and has asked me if I will get something pierced first to show her its ok. I have my ears and lip pierced. I guess I could get a second ear piercing, or another lip piercing, or maybe a nose or belly button piercing. Whatever. What do you think?
@cvodrey (227)
lol. What do I think? I think you're a good momma who thinks a lot about how her daughter will feel and considers her feelings. If you want to get another piercing to show her how it feels, why not? But if you don't want to, don't feel obliged just to help her make a choice. There is a such thing as asking too much, and I think this is one of those things. My mom told me I could choose to have my ears pierced when I was five. I did. She pierced them herself with a ginormous denim needle and a cube of ice. It hurt. But you know what? I don't regret it. Honestly, whatever you choose to do will most likely be fine.
I've always wanted more piercings but have never got around to it. Ouch, I don't think I could pierce anyone's ears, I'd be too scared of messing it up! A friend has given me a recommendation of a place where the piercer does breathing exercises with the child, so it won't hurt.
@salonga (27985)
Ear piercing painful? Of course not. My dear it is not painful at all. If done by expert you won't fee any pain. They which part of the ear won't hurt when pierced. In fact, even a baby get get ear-piercing because it does not hurt at all. Now if you have lots of piercings on your ear then that is another issue.It could really hurt in some parts where it is not supposed to be pierced. Besides, I believe just one pierce for each ear is enough. Lip, nose, belly piercing or wherever part of the body apart from one in each ear is taboo to me. So never would I subject myself to other piercings.
@salonga (27985)
If done by expert you won't feel any pain. They know which part of the ear won't hurt when pierced. In fact, even a baby can get ear-piercing because it does not hurt at all. (This is what I meant, sorry for the typos, in my above post).
To have pierced on ear for a female for me is okay and it is seems mandatory for them to do but in any other parts of the body, refers to some rituals in the medieval period I hate to see one. Today piercing on any parts of the body is already a style but I don't buy the idea still for me it is a barbaric act.
I don't know anything about medieval rituals, its just a fashion thing these days
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
My mom wouldn't let us do it until we were 18 and could sign for ourselves. (Shhh, don't tell mom, when I was 18, I not only did mine, but I took my sister with me and did hers). but I agree with you, I don't do babies. I wait until they ask, and then we have a serious talk about what it will take to take care of them. My oldest was 7, but she had trouble, and they closed up, and we redid them (with better results) when she was 10. We did her younger sister at 7 also, no issues.
@jenny1015 (13390)
I remember having my ears pierced at 7 years old. I am not sure if my mom asked me if I wanted to. I think it was just part of any girl's life to have their ears pierced. I was given an apple every after pierce. I remember crying but more on just sobbed really coz I was so ashamed of crying loud in front of a lot of people. I had spectators. I think they were 2 nurses and of course, my mom.
@chikapet (47)
I took my daughter for ear piercing when she was only 4 months.Give her assurance that it hurts a little like being pinched.
I think piercing on the ears are okay. So if your daughter is ready for it then let her to do it. Although I am not fan for piercing to any other part of body like lip or tongue or belly button.
@mariaperalta (19096)
• Mexico
I understand here, as many little girls in Mexico get the ears done at 7 or even 6 here. I agree, let her decide.
@jambi462 (4598)
I think it really is her choice and if you are okay with her getting them done and she wants them done you can always let her try it. If the first one hurts too bad than she doesn't have to get her other one done but I don't think that she will be all that freaked out by the pain. I have multiple piercings, I have my septum done, my left nostril, both nipples, my lip, and the bridge of my nose pierced. I haven't had my ears pierced but I want to get them done so I can stretch them for gauges. I think that the ears probably wouldn't be incredibly painful but like I said I haven't had them done. You know how much it hurts though so you can share your experience with your daughter. I think showing her what a piercing is like is a great idea and maybe you could get yours done with her then she will know that she's not dealing with the pain all alone.
@lelin1123 (15645)
• Puerto Rico
My daughter also waited till her daughter decided she wanted them done. She finally got it done last year. However, even after taken really good care of cleaning them and turning the earrings after every cleaning she still got them infected. So her mom took them out and she will wait for another time when she is a little older. The same thing happen to her, my daughter, when she was first got her ears pierced I think she had to get them three times before it didn't get infected. If you are asking what you should get pierced so she can see that its ok I would just go for another ear piercing. Because all piercing are different depending on the location of the piercing. Good luck!
@kaka135 (14017)
Maybe you can bring her to the place that offer the ear piercing service, and let her see how it looks like. A pierce on you may be different from a pierce on her, especially you are adult, your tolerance of pain may be greater. I had my ears pierced when I was six, though many people told me it was not painful, I was stil quite scared of the pain, and my first pierce was a bit off because I moved. Remember to hold her and ask her try not to move.
@natliegleb (5186)
it is just ear piercing,it wont hurt and it is just looking nice to go off with,dont be scared and give her a chance ,it is far better than belly piercing
@roshigo58 (4871)
• Pune, India
Hi, In India we pierce the ears of babies after only some days after the birth. Because the ears are very soft and they don't have any hurt. But when they grow their skin of ears become tough and difficult to pierce. If your daughter has prepared her my for piercing then give permission to her.