I just remembered I ate out the garbage.

I am watching tv and this man just said something that reminded me of what I use to do when I was a small kid. We did not have food a lot of the time so my brother took me to the back of the building to eat out of the garbage. I remember someone tossed out a big birthday cake and my brother and I ate till we were full. My brother would take me behind the supper market to at out of the garbage and we had a ball. We use to eat ice cream and all kinds of cakes and cookies. I remember we had one slice of pizza to share between four people in the house. we use to eat friend fat bat and put it between bread. We were so poor my brother would take me to the store to eat and some how i forgot about all of this till today. well,just now when the man on tv said,he went in a store and was a dime short for the candy and stuck it in his pocket.
@bjc66bjc (6745)
OMG, you just never seem to amaze me...The more I learn about you the more I have to THANK GOD FOR MY LIFE...I have never known anyone like you in my life... But please tell me what "friend fat bat" that you use to eat??????
Fried fat back? Disgusting! Give me bacon.
@blackrusty (3532)
• Mexico
well I have been there and done that but mine was fast food places they cant resell so dumpster diving was common for tons of burgers on a bad night you could fine at least 20 hamburgers still wrapped up for the taking now why did you have to remind me of the past that I am trying to forget lol
Virtually everybody has had his or her hard time. Sometimes if I remember those days when I use to sneak out of class just for video games, I do nothing but laugh. When I used to delay meals because it can't span through the 3 in a day, I will only say-that was then.
I can't imagine being that poor. My dad worked two jobs and my mom worked one. It's a wonder you were not chased away as vagrants. I can't imagine eating out of the garbage. I've seen homeless people on TV do that, but to me it all looks like throw up in the trash. I consider myself fortunate that my parents stayed together and they had a good work ethic. I'm fortunate my parents weren't drunks who spent their money on booze and other stuff. They worked hard. By my parents' standards they were poor, yet we always had our own home. Dad built 3 of our houses in my lifetime. Dad was a builder for part of his life. I'm glad they didn't have more kids than they could afford.
@jenny1015 (13389)
At least now you do not have to be that way. And that is great! I feel bad for kids who have to dig up the garbage just to have something to fill their tummies. And I absolutely get mad at my kids when they would be whining coz they do not like the food I have for them on the table.
@julyteen (13258)
• Davao, Philippines
Sad to hear about your previous experiences. I didn't experience eating food from the garbage but we eat only some root crops nearby our house because we don't have rice to eat and we don't have money to buy any foods. We only dependent on the root crops that we planted several months. In preparation starving of our stomach
We all have our hard times, but with family around we feel not lonely. I was at the point when I have little money left in my wallet. I don't know what to do when I have no job and my family is living in other city. I buy a instant noodles to survive for few weeks till I get job, and then my life getting better. We all have the hard time to teach us that life is hard and we have to survive not surrender to fate.
I consider my family to be quite lucky that this has never been something that I've had to deal with in my life. However, this is not the first time that I've heard of someone that eats out of the garbage. In fact just today my husband was talking about how there used to be a pizza hut close to where he lived and his buddies would walk through the field to go and get the leftover pizza out of the trash when the store was closing for the night.
hi gifts we never went hungry because we owned a farm and grew all our own veggies and fruits and meat and eggs. we might not have had; a lot of money but we did have food and we sold the surplus what we did not can of course. t. I am sorry that you had to eat out of the garbage but you did survive and that counts a lot.I am glad that I grew up on a farm, and learned how fresh food tasted as many people never get to experience that.