What's Wrong with the Old Food Pyramid? & What's "Starch"?

@mythociate (15744)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
A friend of mine told me about this long report he's making me a copy-of that explains some bad mojo about the popular food-pyramid. Apparently, the one by the lady paid to formulate it wasn't the one public-schools were given to teach us. I only looked over the first few pages of the report, but apparently the base of the pyramid WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE BREAD, which is more appropriately close to the peak, with vegetables &/or fruits making up the bottom. (Breads were moved down there because ... for some money-reason, like-as-not ...) The report mentioned that 'the food pyramid' (the one they ended-up using) is the reason more Americans are sick these days---the reason people in third-world countries have better nutrition than we do. Another bit of confusion (and maybe this is just me) is that "starches" are often confused for bread. "Starch" http://search.mylot.com/search.aspx?t=web&k=definition+starch is a carb found in the cereals (rice, wheat, and maize) and the root vegetables (potatoes and cassava), which one should be cautious-of because starch's crystalline structure makes it more-difficult to digest. So, What's the Deal?
@Nursefrai06 (2498)
• Penrith, Australia
It kind of makes sense that bread and other carbohydrates are not supposed to be in the bottom of the pyramid, they're just good sources of energy and not really the most nutritious type of food. Vegetables outweight them a lot on terms of nutrients. But looking at our lifestyle today, we are not really the type that needs lots of energy, thus instead of the energy being consumed, it turns itself to fat for future use. This really makes sense to me however I'm sad about it because it also means that my childhood or ruined, all along I've been taught that i should eat more carbs. Most of the time, people dont analyze this and just do as they're told. I shouldn't have eaten all those starchy fries, but they are so good,
@mythociate (15744)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Are ALL carbohydrates 'starches,' or just all 'starches' are carbohydrates? Because my understanding is that starches are "crystalline" and so don't digest until they get to your colon or something
@911Ricki (13602)
Breads, and such should be eatten sparling. Many over eat them, which are full of sugar in the end. That is why you get energy right away, because your eat sugar.
@mythociate (15744)
• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Aren't fruits also full of sugar?